Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 12:52 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,421,244 times

Advertisements

Interesting discussion. I don't wanna argue about percentages, but I do believe its higher than many people think. Just based on my own anecdotal experience.

I once knew a guy who grew up in the Texas panhandle, a very rural area. He told me that as a teenager, most guys fooled around with each other and those who didn't were considered "weird". In my case, I've had "straight" married friends -- some who acted homophobic -- eventually proposition me.

So, I tend to think more male-to-male stuff happens than people want to admit to. Not that everyone has that experience, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 10:18 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Interestingly a recent study of those between the ages of 13 to 20, although not broken down by male/female, found only 48 percent identified as "completely hetero-sexual". I would say your statement is accurate.

https://www.jwtintelligence.com/2016...on-group-data/
Correct, even Kinsey recognized that sexuality is a scale, with most people identifying as at least mostly straight. Some people might be exactly in the middle, which is what most people think of as bisexual, but there's plenty of variation along the entire scale. Some people might consider themselves 70% straight or 40% gay, etc.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:20 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
The only teenagers who have a "same sex experience" are gay. I have never had one, nor have any of my friends from high school, as none of us are gay.

I'd imagine it's only 1-2% of the population, as that is the percent of the population that is gay.
Completely wrong. Teenage years are a time of experimentation where even plenty of people who come out totally straight have same sex experiences, in those cases they will likely find that the same sex doesn't do it for them and they prefer the opposite sex.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:31 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times
Released on 5/22/18 - Gallup Polling, More Americans are identifying as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender, according to a Gallup poll released Tuesday.
The number rose to 4.5 percent in 2017, up from 4.1 percent in 2016 and 3.5 percent in 2012, with Gallup estimates suggesting more than 11 million adults identify as LGBT in the country today.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:57 PM

824 posts, read 705,982 times
you know 'gay' is a stereotype. Real people are complex.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:09 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Released on 5/22/18 - Gallup Polling, More Americans are identifying as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender, according to a Gallup poll released Tuesday.
The number rose to 4.5 percent in 2017, up from 4.1 percent in 2016 and 3.5 percent in 2012, with Gallup estimates suggesting more than 11 million adults identify as LGBT in the country today.
Self-identify and engage in the lifestyle would be way different figures.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:11 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern district View Post
OP here. I guess I can't understand what's so creepy about the question. This is like human sexuality 101. What I find creepy is how we are basically unable as a culture to talk about sex/sexuality except in the crudest or most politicized ways. I mean, I have seemingly "well-adjusted" straight friends who are barely able to discuss what they do with their girlfriends or wives except in the most guarded terms...but I digress.
Have you ever heard of the concept of sex being "private," "intimate?"

Everything is not for public discourse.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:44 PM

3 posts, read 1,997 times
lots of young males experiment with women before realizing they are Gay. Not sure what closed minded planet you grew up on. Furthermore, just because you never thought of playing "bone pirate" doesn't mean other guys did not. You're homophobia is showing.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:49 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
The answer to the OP's question is 100% of gay males have same sex experiences and 0% of heterosexual males have same sex experiences. Once you cross the line there is no going back to the heterosexual world.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:19 PM

3,337 posts, read 2,141,544 times
I suppose it depends on how the word "experiences" is defined within the context of the discussion, and perhaps it ought to be acknowledged that the positions on some of the following conditions may be inherently subjective.
  • You ask your buddy, "what's the capital of Thailand?" And then yell, "BANGKOK," before ball-tapping him. Does smacking another guy in the genitals for reasons other than self-defense count as a same-sex experience?
  • How about a guy who gets his thighs and/or buttocks rubbed by another man with a degree in sports medicine after sustaining an injury?
  • How about a guy that requires a medical procedure to relieve a dangerously prolonged erection? Is it gay if the physician performing the procedure is also male?
  • How about when you slap your buddy on the behind in front of other people in an attempt to embarrass him? Is that just latent gayness?
  • How about greeting the lifelong friend you've had after an extended period of non-contact, whom you kiss on the cheek prior to giving a hug?
  • What about two guys who touch the tips of their tongues together at a bar after a mutual friend bets they aren't secure enough to do it for $20?
Mod cut.

So I'm curious as to whether or not folks believe there exists potential room for ambiguity anywhere. I suppose there may be a way to constrain the variables enough to come to some sort of objective conclusion.

Is it possible that an individual may "experiment" exclusively on the basis of inquiry?

Is it possible that an individual can detach their self to the extent that achieving gratification is sought after exclusively for its own sake?

What seems more likely to me is that, at a minimum, the potential for bisexuality needs to be included as a potential state-of-being. After all, if an individual sexually desires both genders (regardless of degree of preference) this would need to be the case. In fact, it seems reasonable to suggest that unless the preference of a certain gender is 100%, bisexuality would actually become the default, even when not acted upon.

Just some random thoughts for discussion purposes...

To answer the OP's initial question more specifically, I think the 10-20% idea is probably accurate. From what I've read that seems to be the observational case across mammalian species in general (and not just with the males).

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-19-2018 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: TMI; not PG-13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology