Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 05:05 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,712,855 times

Advertisements

When i see a cute kid or cute baby, i have no reaction whatsoever, subconsciously, or not. When i see a cute dog however, my heart melts and i feel so happy, my face lights up like a kid on christmas morning, i feel so 'different' with adorable dog vs adorable human.

I don't 'melt' when i see a cute young human, no matter how cute they are, i have no internal reaction to the event. With dogs, its much different.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:07 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,448,984 times
Parents vs non parents.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:06 PM

776 posts, read 581,120 times
I'm the same. Babies, especially before they get hair, are ugly looking to me. Puppies and kittens are adorable and grow hair quickly. Plus, baby vomit and waste smells so much worst than puppy or kitten vomit or waste. I feel happy when I see/play with my young nieces and nephews, but I can still think they are ugly crap factories.
To go off of what froglipz said, many parents who are like us said everything changes once you have a kid. You can still find other people's babies ugly, but yours is special.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:11 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
When i see a cute kid or cute baby, i have no reaction whatsoever, subconsciously, or not. When i see a cute dog however, my heart melts and i feel so happy, my face lights up like a kid on christmas morning, i feel so 'different' with adorable dog vs adorable human.

I don't 'melt' when i see a cute young human, no matter how cute they are, i have no internal reaction to the event. With dogs, its much different.
I prefer cute animals. Some babies are cute to me, but I don't really go crazy over them either. I think I'd be excited about my own kids, but I'm just not really into other people's kids.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:17 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times
The advertising industry certainly thrives on determining the target audience for that Awwww factor.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:21 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Baby animals almost always look cuter to me than baby humans. Actually, it's not just looks. It is also the sounds they make, the way they move around, and absolutely the smells. Babies smell bad, IMO. When I go into a house that has a baby, I can instantly smell it even in the absence of the foul emittances they make. The smell must embed itself in drapes, carpet, and other fabrics.

I wouldn't feel any differently if they were my own babies. I had pets and realized when they smelled unpleasant. It didn't change how I felt about them, but I could still be objective about what was real.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:37 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,423,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post

Agree 100%. I feel like human babies kinda look like aliens (though some are adorable), but a little puppy (or most animal babies for that matter) it's all warm fuzzies. This indifference toward humans versus animals extends to movies for me to. I can literally watch 40 people get slaughtered machete style in a Rob Zombie snuff horror and feel nothing, but if a dog even passes naturally of old age in a movie I swear I could almost cry, ha! Weird...

Old 12-06-2016, 11:39 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times
I have a reaction to both, particularly a baby who is laughing. They are so free and laugh heartily. But I absolutely melt and go "awwwwww," when I see a puppy. They're just so darn cute, I could just kiss 'em all over. Puppy breath or not!

Old 12-07-2016, 07:12 AM

506 posts, read 651,876 times
I react much more to a puppy than to a baby. But I don't know why.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:50 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Life experience is that the majority of other people's babies and toddlers are badly behaved and their parents are obnoxious about their children. That sort of tarnishes the cute factor.

Advertisers seem to think it is cute to be obnoxious and that definitely makes young children less attractive. They can be cute when they are not showing off or being selfish or greedy, but that is not when their parents or the advertising industry seems to think they are cute. All that does is to make me dislike them.

A big contradiction is that most people are attracted to baby animals that have some of the features of baby humans, like big eyes and small chins.

I like dogs, so I like the way that they look at all stages of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology