Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 11:19 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that even people who really don't like dogs generally still think a picture of a puppy is cute. This happens with many animals...even animals I think are kind of gross or don't care for, when confronted with a photo of a baby, I'll acknowledge that it's cute.

Conversely, people who don't like children are pretty likely to assess a picture of a baby as ugly, weird-looking, etc. It seems like people are less likely to be able to separate their dislike of children philosophically, and an overall distaste is bound to color their opinion of a baby's appearance. Most people can really dislike, say, a certain breed of dog, but still think that a picture of a baby version on a calendar is cute. With kids, distaste tends to color everything.People seem less likely to move past a preexisting bias and look objectively.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 12-08-2016 at 11:29 AM..

Old 12-08-2016, 11:21 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
It has to do with evolution. Someone like you will never have children and your genes will not pass to the next generation. The gene pool will not have your DNA.

Or perhaps you are rationalizing your inability to have children. Or that you do not want children.
That's ridiculous Everyone who doesn't want kids, it's because our genes are dysfunctional? No decision we make is conscious?

I don't understand your post, it's mean spirited for no reason on what was a light-hearted thread. Why did you seem to feel so attacked by the OP's post that you would lash out like that?

Old 12-08-2016, 11:27 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Why are we comparing animals to humans in the first place again? Not all animal babies are cute. Conversely, not all babies are alien looking. And even if they were, all of that changes over time so...

Sorry, but I'll never compare animals to humans.

Who is comparing animals and people? We are comparing our individual personalities traits based on how we personally respond internally when we see a cute kid vs a cute puppy.

Some here seem to think those of us who respond to puppies viscerally in a different way than we do babies (yes, viscerally, NOT consciously) means we hate babies or think animals are better than babies. That' is patently ridiculous and I don't get why so many are soooo black or white in their thinking.

I have 5 grand-nieces and nephews and of course I love them, and it's mutual. But if 2 people walk into an office with a puppy and a baby, it's the puppy I'm going to melt over. It doesn't mean I think puppies are better than babies, lol.

I feel like a thread is going good, than people drift over from Current Events or Politics or some other forum where people take little things much too seriously and blow them up to have more meaning then they are meant to. They have to divide even a light-hearted thread about how different our personalities are, into who's right and who's wrong when it was never about that.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:28 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Nope, never thought babies were cute and glad to find out so many others agree. Don't hand me one

No maternal bones in my body, like someone else said. I think ALL baby animals are cute though.

My mom never got this. She would say, "You know how you feel about your guinea pig? Magnify that a thousand times and that's how you'll feel about your own baby."

Bless her heart! She got over it though, with 11 other grandkids!

Old 12-08-2016, 11:42 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,366,656 times
I gush over baby animals, and some tiny humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I prefer cute animals. Some babies are cute to me, but I don't really go crazy over them either. I think I'd be excited about my own kids, but I'm just not really into other people's kids.
Haha. I have kids and I feel the same way about a lot of kids. Lol

Old 12-08-2016, 11:44 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,051,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

I feel like a thread is going good, than people drift over from Current Events or Politics or some other forum where people take little things much too seriously and blow them up to have more meaning then they are meant to. They have to divide even a light-hearted thread about how different our personalities are, into who's right and who's wrong when it was never about that.
OMG, you are SO correct about this. ANytime I see a thread be taken off the rails by someone I look at their post history and 99% of the time they spend all their time in those forums.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:11 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Who is comparing animals and people? We are comparing our individual personalities traits based on how we personally respond internally when we see a cute kid vs a cute puppy.

Some here seem to think those of us who respond to puppies viscerally in a different way than we do babies (yes, viscerally, NOT consciously) means we hate babies or think animals are better than babies. That' is patently ridiculous and I don't get why so many are soooo black or white in their thinking.

I have 5 grand-nieces and nephews and of course I love them, and it's mutual. But if 2 people walk into an office with a puppy and a baby, it's the puppy I'm going to melt over. It doesn't mean I think puppies are better than babies, lol.

Relax, people. I made a statement. Take it as you wish. As was stated, most (if not all) of these topics devolve into the exact things you mention and I'm wondering why humans and animals are being compared in the first place. FWIW I get "visceral" reactions from both, depending on the individual animal or human. So let's be real here before I'm branded a party pooper. And sorry, my thinking is black, white, and gray.

BTW, I don't frequent either the politics or the current events forum

Old 12-08-2016, 12:15 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times
Current Events and Politics. RRRRRRRRRR!

Psychology. MMMMMMMMM!

Old 12-08-2016, 01:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
I have no interest in babies or puppies. Both are just annoying poop machines. I see either one and I think bad smells, messes and endless staring at nothing. Puppies at least react to you with fondness at times or do something funny. I do not find either one cute.

Dogs and toddlers/children win me over. But before then? Meh.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:48 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
I remember hearing about some studies that were done regarding the "Universal Recognition/Preference of Visual Indicators of Infantile Features" that is thought to go beyond cognitive differences of species.

Supposedly; research found that all mammals may have a preference for an animal/human that displays indicators of "being a baby", such as a head out of porportion to the body, eyes out of porportion to the face, etc ...

It was also thought that many species could discern & prefer; the auditory signals that would indicate young vs adult.

All I know for sure is that I am a sucker for both ...Oh; with the exception of Crows.

One of my sons found a baby crow that had been tipped out of it's nest & brought it home. I swear; that was the first time I understood what the phrase "A face only a mother could love", meant.

No wonder they have the reputation of being the Harbingers of Death; it wasn't just ugly ... it was scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology