Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 10:27 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I have to admit I feel that way about clothes, tiny little purses,tiny little bikinis, etc for my 3 year old grand-niece. I have to cover my eyes when I walk past the little girls' clothes department because I want to buy everything...I have to stop myself because otherwise I would buy her way more stuff than I do the boys, only because the stuff for little girls is so cute.

[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]

I have a thing for tiny rvs, not to be confused with overpriced tiny homes. They are so cute to me. I love all the storage ideas.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:42 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I have a thing for tiny rvs, not to be confused with overpriced tiny homes. They are so cute to me. I love all the storage ideas.
That's another weird phenomenon...it seems like anything made in tiny form becomes adorable for some reason.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:49 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times
Quote:
That's another weird phenomenon...it seems like anything made in tiny form becomes adorable for some reason.
I don't know if I feel the same about my tiny bank account.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:52 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Before I had children of my own I never cared for kids. There are plenty of people who love their own kids and are indifferent to other children. You will never know this unless you have kids of your own.

I think many childless dog owners are like you. They want to experience love with little responsibility. When I read the posts the number one reason to prefer a dog is always ME, ME, ME and less responsibility or commitment. At the end the dog is a surrogate child.
So what if dog owners want to experience love with little responsibility? (and BTW, being a responsible pet owner entails a lot of work and expense; just less than with kids). If you consider how overpopulated the world is, it's actually selfish to bring another human being into the world, thus contributing to the overpopulation problem even further, when your child has children of their own.

Besides, dogs cost much less than raising a child. It's not selfish at all for a person to decide to have a child because they can't afford one or have the time to raise a child. It's doing the potential parent and child a favor. There are enough kids as there is raised in poverty with parents who don't love or care for them properly. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with loving animals. And what if the person doesn't like kids? It's certainly not selfish for them not to reproduce if they don't want one; in fact, it's the opposite.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:55 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
When i see a cute kid or cute baby, i have no reaction whatsoever, subconsciously, or not. When i see a cute dog however, my heart melts and i feel so happy, my face lights up like a kid on christmas morning, i feel so 'different' with adorable dog vs adorable human.

I don't 'melt' when i see a cute young human, no matter how cute they are, i have no internal reaction to the event. With dogs, its much different.
So you are comparing animals with humans and think this is equal or okay?

Old 12-10-2016, 11:30 AM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why, yes, it does seem that he was comparing his reaction to baby animals to his reaction to baby humans. And why would it not be okay? He's not spitting on the human, this is just his personal feeling about cuteness. It's not right or wrong.

In fact, virtually everyone who says they don't find human infants all that "cute" would still pull a baby out of a burning building before they saved the cat or the dog. I have kids of my own; I donate to charities that provide care for orphans and other needy children; I care about people. But ask me if I would rather hang up a calendar with pictures of random babies, or a calendar with kittens. I'll pick the kittens. I find them cuter and more fun to look at. Does this make me a psychopath?

Old 12-10-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
I don't know if I feel the same about my tiny bank account.

Ha, ha…touche

Quote:

Actually I just rode my bike to a western shop and saw the cutest little cowgirl outfit with little pink hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
So what if dog owners want to experience love with little responsibility? (and BTW, being a responsible pet owner entails a lot of work and expense; just less than with kids). If you consider how overpopulated the world is, it's actually selfish to bring another human being into the world, thus contributing to the overpopulation problem even further, when your child has children of their own.

Besides, dogs cost much less than raising a child. It's not selfish at all for a person to decide to have a child because they can't afford one or have the time to raise a child. It's doing the potential parent and child a favor. There are enough kids as there is raised in poverty with parents who don't love or care for them properly. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with loving animals. And what if the person doesn't like kids? It's certainly not selfish for them not to reproduce if they don't want one; in fact, it's the opposite.

I wouldn't want to bring a child into today's world. I feel bad for my grandchildren as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Don't take it so literal. It was just what we think is cute. At least animals don't have politics and lawyers, lol.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:20 PM

16,079 posts, read 21,168,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
So what if dog owners want to experience love with little responsibility? (and BTW, being a responsible pet owner entails a lot of work and expense; just less than with kids).
Never really understood people who think pets take less work. Pets will always need to be fed and cleaned up after daily, for their entire lives.
Kids on the other hand are generally potty trained within a few years, and can be pretty competent in the kitchen by the time they are around 10 yrs old +/-

Old 12-10-2016, 02:54 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Seriously not all babies are cute/adorable and it is not soulless. It's a fact.

And from baby's own parents:
Parents Reveal the Moment They Realized Their Baby Was Ugly - Unattractive Kids

It's because some people just can't fathom others feeling different from them. I know people like this, esp my MIL. If you think or feel differently, or you have a different opinion then you are bad/wrong/horrible.

I agree, I do prefer puppies, there are some babies that once they hit the 6 month stage they are cute and such, but I never fawned over kids. Puppies though wow.... love them. And I used to not till my husband brought home our first dog.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Never really understood people who think pets take less work. Pets will always need to be fed and cleaned up after daily, for their entire lives.
Kids on the other hand are generally potty trained within a few years, and can be pretty competent in the kitchen by the time they are around 10 yrs old +/-

Tell me about it. Kids are as capable as you teach them to be. You also don't have to deal with kids in old age. For a dog you have them and are responsible for them their entire life. I have an old pug now and she has become a lot of work. Her hearing is bad, her vision is bad, and her back legs don't work. She cannot walk far anymore and I have to help her when she falls. Thankfully she is not in pain but she has become cranky and demanding. She is my responsibility and I will take care of her until the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology