Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 02:37 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,131,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
I just don't think you need to try and look 25 your whole life to attract a guy. I would hope for myself when I hit my 40s I'm not a slave to botox and plastic surgery. But looking the best version of yourself, yes.

I think things are different now in that decades, ago, women married young and largely stayed home, so they were pretty dependent on their husband. Nowadays, if a late-40s woman is being treated poorly by her husband, chances are she may have her own career and can easily leave and enjoy life again. Plus there are endless dating options these days, she could easily find (an older man still) who will treat her right. So no need to be jealous of one older man who dates younger, also I think there are many who probably only date in their age range too.
You’re right, at some point, you look at certain Hollywood stars and think, yikes! But there are women who look great at any age, Dame Judi Dench still looks good, so does Barbara Streisand.

The dating options are out there, lots of younger men, older women too. But for choosing a mate, maybe the older guy would be a better choice, some young guys only want a sugar mama. The thread seems outdated in some ways, since women are free to choose what age range they like and most aren’t pulling their hair out because some guy their age is dating a younger woman. I know of no women who would care, even a good friend whose husband dumped her for a younger woman, got over it fast and moved on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 06:20 PM

999 posts, read 554,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
41...oops...42 year old here. LOL no I wouldn't be jealous at all. Why would I be? Sorry, but I think my best years are right now. We're all gonna become "older" if we're lucky.
Yep. I don't even understand the basic nature of jealousy. It makes no sense. For me, the foundation of romance and sexual chemistry is MUTUAL attraction. I've never been attracted to someone who doesn't feel the same way back. It doesn't matter if they rejected me because of my age or something else. Any feelings of attraction would immediately dissipate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
This has me thinking.

Here at CD, there's a prevalence of age-related topics focused mainly on women. Constantly reminding us that simply because we are older we are no longer attractive, our bodies should be covered, our hair color should be "natural"... I can go on and on...
With very few exceptions, women of all ages can have sex whenever we want to. This does not seem to be the case for men. I don't know why this is, but it's what I've seen in reality. I have female friends of all ages, and none have any trouble getting laid. The men, on the other hand, endure long dry spells and are often bitter about it.

I feel that since the creation of online dating and perhaps even before, there's been this underlying bitterness about the fact that for the most part, women can get laid whenever we want. I think insecure men subconsciously feel this bitterness and want to bring us down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Meanwhile all the women who delayed family formation well into their 30's are kicking themselves as men their own age don't even want them anymore. Oh well....should've made better choices. You're aging....rapidly....you used to be a '9' in your 20's and could take home who you wanted, but now you're a '7' and next year you'll be a '6'....better hurry up.....settle down with what you can get!
An example of what I was talking about above. Most of this is untrue, and this person probably knows it. They're saying this to attempt to make women feel bad. Except … it won't work. Because as women, we know this is not true.

The only thing that is true here is that time runs out on having a biological family. But not every woman wants that to begin with, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Why would someone want to date/marry someone who is a whole generation younger/older?
Because they have a connection? People act like this generational difference is such a huge thing, which I don't understand. It's not like we all sit around with our partners and talk about [insert decade from your youth]. There are a million interests, desires and passions that two people can connect over--most of which have nothing to do with the time period in which you were born.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
For real life situations, I haven't really known any "middle-aged" divorced women who had a problem getting dates after the divorce, certainly no more so than younger people did, and within their age ranges, probably because it IS at that age range that so many are divorcing and I am sorry but a HUGE number of divorced middle-aged men actually don't want a young girl who is constantly going to be asking Daddy for gifts and who brings with her giant competition for the man in the form of boys her age who look gorgeous and can go all night (in all ways, not just...you know...I mean in general) and are on her page in all ways.
Yes, this is pretty much what I've seen as well. And hence why I've never worried or had any sort of negative response to men spouting crap about how older women are unwanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology