Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 07:49 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,873,766 times

Advertisements

It's not something I judge on. I am 25 years younger than my husband. He was so charming. He was also a bit embarrassed to be dating a woman so much younger. He didn't want to hold hands or be affectionate in public. He got over it. We dated for four years and have now been married for 29.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 08:08 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassnon View Post
As you know from my topic I am dating a younger woman, and got a lot of negative reactions, I have also gotten some in real life, though I have noticed a pattern with it being women around my age group; 40 and up mostly. I can only guess it's the same for on here. Does it really bother you? Surely there are plenty men in your age group so why the negativity?

I don't really have skin in this game...I'm happily married. So take my opinion for what it's worth.

No, I don't think the negative reactions come from jealousy so much. Maybe I'm wrong on that...but maybe more like women think the men involved with the younger girlfriends are...probably foolish.

Now...if you as the man, dumped your wife, who was around your age, for a younger woman...than sure, your ex wife could very well become jealous, and hurt that you basically turned her in for a younger model.

Obviously you know that there are deficits between you and your young girlfriend. She doesn't have the same level of life experience as you, possibly can't relate to the music you like, etc. BUT...obviously, whatever the deficits are, you're OK with that, and so is your girlfriend. At the end of the day, whose business is it anyway? If you're happy, I for one am happy for you. (Well...I don't even know you, but I don't begrudge YOU being happy in your May December romance.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:00 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
What does the word "bad" mean in your thread title?

Old 11-09-2018, 11:07 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
What does the word "bad" mean in your thread title?
Poor choice of title, worded awkwardly.

"Do women 40 and up view men their age as bad if they date younger women?"

Old 11-09-2018, 07:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
All I can tell you is that I am glad my husband decided to stick it out with me and we eventually got married. I am five years younger than him and that was ALMOST too big an age gap for him. He much preferred that women he dated be closer to his age. He tried the younger woman thing but quickly lost interest, and like I said, I was nearly too young for him to even consider (when we met I was 42 and he was 47).

Anyway, I have several friends who married men who were quite a bit older than them. It was fun when she was 30 and he was 50. Not so much fun for them when she was 60 and he was 80 - not for her anyway.

When I was in my early 40s, newly single and dating, there was a guy who was about 35 who really really really was after me. He was a cutie, and I wasn't self conscious about a 7 year or so age gap, but what I DIDN'T like was that I had adult kids and he had never even had kids at all! I didn't want more kids. He claimed not to but I didn't feel good about all that. Besides the fact that I didn't want him to suddenly realize he wanted kids (when I was, say, 50), I also found him to be, well, frankly, one dimensional - shallow, even - due mostly from what I could tell to the fact that he'd never had kids and never had to make the choices and decisions and priorities that raising kids involves.

We were just too different.

I also dated a man who told me he was in his mid fifties, which would imply about a 12 year age difference, but I could tell he wasn't leveling with me, on just the first date - I realized quickly that he was around 60. I asked, and he told me he was 62. Twenty years difference. He really really really really really wanted to keep dating but I kept thinking, "Wait a minute - he will be 80 when I'm 60 and he'll want a nursemaid. Then he'll die and I'll be old and alone. NO THANK YOU."

Old 11-09-2018, 07:49 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Poor choice of title, worded awkwardly.

"Do women 40 and up view men their age as bad if they date younger women?"
Thank you!

I just find it interesting that age/sexual attractiveness and money are the commodities being exchanged.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:05 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,254,704 times
Maybe they wish they had hooked-up with a sugar daddy meal ticket when they were young. Don't let it bother you.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:51 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,131,779 times
From the title of the thread, it seems like an over 40 woman is over the hill and may as well throw in the towel. Maybe in the past, but these days there are lots of women who work on keeping themselves looking good. I can’t imagine that many of them would be jealous of a guy in their age group dating a young woman, when they could just as easily date a younger guy.

I get plenty of flirts from younger guys and I’m thinking ‘dude, I’m old enough to be your mom, lol. I’d say this thread topic is appropriate for a few women, but look at Kim Kardashian. Isn’t she forty? She looks terrific and she could hold her own from someone twenty years younger. Cindy Crawford is over fifty and I can’t imagine many women competing with her.

A lot depends on how the woman feels about herself. A woman with good self esteem shouldn’t be threatened by a man dating a younger woman, unless she got dumped for one. I suspect that many women on this thread would find themselves with a wide choice of age groups to chose from, if they were single. It’s just the way things are today.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:02 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
From the title of the thread, it seems like an over 40 woman is over the hill and may as well throw in the towel.
Unless they want to date men several or 15 years older. That's how it often works.

I bet they date according to baggage i.e. exes and kids and custody and a whole bunch of fun stuff.

Then another 15 years and their families are grown and they enter a whole new of men to date.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:58 PM

21,547 posts, read 8,729,914 times
I wouldn't call it "jealousy," but it does make me feel a bit wistful to see a man my age with a younger woman. It reinforces my fears that, past a certain age, a woman is no longer attractive to men. It feels like a form of rejection. While I consider myself a feminist and don't "need" a man to be OK, I love men and enjoy their company and their attention. Seeing other women getting the attention that used to come so easily to me feels kind of sad. You see, I used to be that younger woman. My first husband was nearly 20 years older than me. So it feels like karma to experience the same feelings of rejection that older women felt when I was with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology