Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2018, 03:08 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I think it's interesting how much validation some people get from assuming everyone is jealous of them.....

I don't think the OP believes other women are jealous of him when he dates younger women. I think he believes the older women are jealous towards the younger women. So I don't think he's looking for validation but looking for explanations of their behavior. And sometimes, jealousy is the root cause of criticism and negativity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 03:20 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't think the OP believes other women are jealous of him when he dates younger women. I think he believes the older women are jealous towards the younger women. So I don't think he's looking for validation but looking for explanations of their behavior. And sometimes, jealousy is the root cause of criticism and negativity.
Right, well, that equates to: he thinks older (I wonder why we keep using the word "older" when he actually means his own age...that's not older) women would have wanted him but now they can't get him, hence they're jealous. So...same thing, really. They're "jealous of" the younger woman because she took this dude out of the dating pool. Women the world over are wishing they could just claw one another's eyes out fighting for the middle-aged dudes and this just proves it, etc., etc.

But even then, he doesn't actually think that. Because he knows that everyone was responding to that thread based on HIM saying he was being used, with men and women alike of all ages responding that yes, his fired-from-Walmart, not-exactly-in-school-but-requires-tuition-in-cash, loves new cars as gifts, lukewarm "girlfriend" is probably using him. So it's a false argument. It was disingenuous from the start. But boy has it gotten mileage! So...there's that?

In this case it really IS a a case of the OP wanting to make himself feel better. He knows he's being used, it was the title of his own thread, for heaven's sake. No, people were NOT responding to that thread en masse because of unwarranted but totally uncontrollable jealousy. We...men, young men, older men, women the OP's age, young women, were all just agreeing with him but he couldn't handle that so he made this jeer-jab thread just to prove that no, we're all wrong (and even he was wrong about HIS OWN assumption), it's really just all about jealousy.

This whole thing is really just so weird.

But it does win the internet today for epic ridiculousness and misleading button-pushing. So as I said, there's that.

People do weird things when they're bruised. Some people just lash out at whole categories of other people...I mean...I dunno. Can't see what this has accomplished for anybody besides being divisive and going off in a thousand different directions, but that's just my take.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:42 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,724,837 times
Quote:
I think you should take a peek at this post.

To me, the OP is obviously being disingenuous and trying to deflect from his own issues. This thread was made in response to the thread he posted a little while ago in the relationships forum. He took everyone criticizing him on his parenting skills and agreeing that he IS being used, as older women being jealous. So no, this is not about trying to understand certain behaviors. Evident in the fact that he hasn't come back since. A little discernment goes a long way.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:50 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,683,234 times
Wasn't an issue for me. In my 40's I attracted younger guys all the time ~ some of them considerably younger. I coulda' been a cougar but ... I wasn't available in the first place, but I wanted more brains than youth from a guy.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:16 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I think you should take a peek at this post.

To me, the OP is obviously being disingenuous and trying to deflect from his own issues. This thread was made in response to the thread he posted a little while ago in the relationships forum. He took everyone criticizing him on his parenting skills and agreeing that he IS being used, as older women being jealous. So no, this is not about trying to understand certain behaviors. Evident in the fact that he hasn't come back since. A little discernment goes a long way.
I am not aware of his other posts, I was just responding to the one here on this particular issue.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:04 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
I am not aware of his other posts, I was just responding to the one here on this particular issue.
Well, he actually references his prior post in his OP here and states the negative reactions there (??) are what led him to make this post. So that actually is the particular issue of this thread, according to him.

I understand your confusion, though, given how deliberately misleading it was.

It would be like posting a thread "Are older men generally insecure of dating because of erectile dysfunction?" and then watching the fur fly and claiming the men are responding negatively because they obviously all have ED. They couldn't just be offended, angered and hurt because of their entire collective group having been painted as probably having ED.

Only it would be like posting that "reasonable" question on the tail end of having asked people why one's older boyfriend left - was it because of X? - which had NOTHING AT ALL to do with ED.

So yeah, like that.

He got the reactions he wanted though, again.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:32 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Not entirely true. I have gotten scowls from women on several occasions when dating a much younger, attractive women who actually looked younger than her real age. The age difference was almost 19 years. I was 48, and she was 30 when we started dating. Also, when we were out, they would also treat her poorly due to pure jealousy. It did not happen often, but often enough.
I regard younger women who date much older men with either sympathy or disdain. Sympathy, because like some women I know, they will end up being a nursemaid at some point (if they stay married to the older guy long enough). Disdain because they are probably after his money or are enamoured of his power. Either scenario will probably end up badly for them. I’m beyond the dating age, so none of this is jealousy!

Old 01-25-2018, 09:12 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,145,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassnon View Post
As you know from my topic I am dating a younger woman, and got a lot of negative reactions, I have also gotten some in real life, though I have noticed a pattern with it being women around my age group; 40 and up mostly. I can only guess it's the same for on here. Does it really bother you? Surely there are plenty men in your age group so why the negativity?
Some women may feel that way, but I personally do not care who you date. But, depending on how large the age gap is, I will avoid you if I get a pedophile vibe. I mean 40-year old dating an 18-year old, for instance. That is just creepy. I am no way jealous of the high school kids that is being preyed upon.

Last edited by jabber_wocky; 01-25-2018 at 09:26 PM..

Old 01-25-2018, 09:24 PM

1,047 posts, read 726,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Right, well, that equates to: he thinks older (I wonder why we keep using the word "older" when he actually means his own age...that's not older) women would have wanted him but now they can't get him, hence they're jealous. So...same thing, really. They're "jealous of" the younger woman because she took this dude out of the dating pool. Women the world over are wishing they could just claw one another's eyes out fighting for the middle-aged dudes and this just proves it, etc., etc.

But even then, he doesn't actually think that. Because he knows that everyone was responding to that thread based on HIM saying he was being used, with men and women alike of all ages responding that yes, his fired-from-Walmart, not-exactly-in-school-but-requires-tuition-in-cash, loves new cars as gifts, lukewarm "girlfriend" is probably using him. So it's a false argument. It was disingenuous from the start. But boy has it gotten mileage! So...there's that?

In this case it really IS a a case of the OP wanting to make himself feel better. He knows he's being used, it was the title of his own thread, for heaven's sake. No, people were NOT responding to that thread en masse because of unwarranted but totally uncontrollable jealousy. We...men, young men, older men, women the OP's age, young women, were all just agreeing with him but he couldn't handle that so he made this jeer-jab thread just to prove that no, we're all wrong (and even he was wrong about HIS OWN assumption), it's really just all about jealousy.

This whole thing is really just so weird.

But it does win the internet today for epic ridiculousness and misleading button-pushing. So as I said, there's that.

People do weird things when they're bruised. Some people just lash out at whole categories of other people...I mean...I dunno. Can't see what this has accomplished for anybody besides being divisive and going off in a thousand different directions, but that's just my take.

I think I love you. You are very bright.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:37 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,103 times
Don't you know?

Men over 40 who date younger women: "Ew, creep."

Women over 40 who date younger men: "Rawr, Cougar. You go girl!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology