Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2018, 04:21 PM

88,613 posts, read 84,857,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I shouldn't be mean. Again...it's not as if this stuff is a character flaw or anything, hair loss happens. It all happens...but that's the point. A 50something dude avoiding "baggage" is just...oh man. Folks, I really don't know.

I mean come on now.
No, I get it, you act like that, you are practically inviting mocking.

It's not that the hair is receding--the majority of men my age are at least partially bald, and a lot of the women are getting there, too.

What makes us mock them is the fact that they are lying to themselves about how the world sees them.

Yes, we all have baggage and we all are in somebody else's baggage, too.

Except for Under-The-Rock Guy, of course.

I think we should keep him on the forum for reference. UTRG, for short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 05:22 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
Quote:

Yeah, my husband and I rib each other about "oh no, and is your bad hip acting up too?" over various ailments, LOL.

It's actually pretty cool.
Just an alternative thought. It's good to have a sense of humor, but it becomes not funny when your bad hip or bad knees or arthritis or any of 100's of maladies impede upon one's life to the point of continual pain or are an impediiment to mobility or make a difference in quality of life.

I don't see the humor in it.

Last edited by matisse12; 01-24-2018 at 06:08 PM..

Old 01-24-2018, 05:24 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Just an alternative thought. It's good to have a sense of humor, but it becomes not funny when your bad hip or bad knee or arthritis or any malady impedes upon one's life to the point of continual pain or impediiment to mobility.

I'm not a big fan of associating already unattractive physical traits with poor character, but we may just be no fun.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post

I'm not a big fan of associating already unattractive physical traits with poor character, but we may just be no fun.
That's not what I am saying nor what I take exception to.

I was responding solely to JerZ's post below.

Quote:

Yeah, my husband and I rib each other about "oh no, and is your bad hip acting up too?" over various ailments, LOL.

It's actually pretty cool.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:42 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,265 times
Quote:
That's not what I am saying nor what I take exception to.

I was responding solely to JerZ's post below.
Although I didn't say you did, I suppose I stand corrected.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Although I didn't say you did, I suppose I stand corrected.
You quoted my entire post, and then you commented on my post pertaining to a whole different subject that I didn't even address.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:02 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
I think this is all about the insecurity that so often comes with age. Men or women who measure their worth even partly based on the youth of their partner are insecure. That's likely the OP's motivation and the motivation of men and women who target much younger people for relationships, and especially those who talk about it often with lots of and . It'l likely part of the motivation of men and women who look askance at these sort of relationships also. They're a big dose of O youth and beauty.

Aging is a sort of wound to many of us. Even those of us who never looked like much when younger feel the loss. We're all a little youth obsessed. I've aged fairly well and I'm probably better looking relative to men my age than I've ever been. If I live to 80 I'll be hot as hell But then reality.

The first line in the poem title in my status is "This is no country for old men". The speaker imagines leaving where he is for Byzantium, a sort of other worldly place where wisdom and spirit are the stuff. If Byzantium wasn't some near mythical ruin, I might go there.

Age and sex. I'll admit that I feel a twinge when women who might be in my dating age range if I were to become single talk about the younger men they date and play with. Who needs that image, even when a 35 year old is likely objectively not so hot. He's still relatively young, and that travels.

Age is a *****. I think it may be more so today than 30 or 50 years ago. Youth's worship is so ubiquitous. Yet I still, naively, want to be seen in an era when I've probably been invisible for 20 years.
This surprises me considering how vibrant and gracious and, I don't know, just generally cool you always are on the forums.

Not being a creeper, LOL, don't worry, you don't need to lock your doors or anything...just saying.

I do think age is a huge motivator in both defensiveness and offensiveness...it is SUCH a huge issue around here, for example...but particularly on relationship forums (where this started anyway). People positively freak out. They want to distance themselves. But you can't distance yourself from, well, yourself. Luckily there really is more to us than "stamina" or lack of wrinkles or whatever. And MOST reasonable people can see that and look at more than just one factor (for example, age)...that I truly believe. This place is its own little odd microcosm. I don't actually believe it's representative of the general population...certainly not from what I've seen IRL.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:04 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Just an alternative thought. It's good to have a sense of humor, but it becomes not funny when your bad hip or bad knees or arthritis or any of 100's of maladies impede upon one's life to the point of continual pain or impediiment to mobility or makes a difference in quality of life.

I think this is just a difference in style. My husband and I DO have our chronic issues. We try to laugh one another past them because after taking care of them in every way possible (but knowing there are limits), what's the next step? Cry? That's an option but it's not my option, personally. I laugh and I believe I'll keep laughing to the grave. Then it will be God who's laughing at me.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:06 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
I'm with jerZ. You either laugh or you cry. One thing I don't need as I age is dwelling on the negative. And I have arthritis that impacted my life. I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs. Diet and exercise took care of that and I feel great. My goal is to bench over 100 lbs, putting the 20 year old version of me to shame. I like that my partner and I are experiencing the joys of aging together instead of one person. We can commiserate with each other..he's noticing more grey hair for example. So am I. Stuff like thay

Old 01-24-2018, 08:53 PM

30,174 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
So you're in your mid-50s (and want a woman under 35) ... but women your own age are "up to their eyeballs with baggage," including about the fact that they are aging.

You, of course, despite being the same age, have no such baggage (I guess aging doesn't affect you at all?).

Really?

Guys, seriously, do you understand how you sound? (That's a serious question, despite the fact that it probably sounds snarky.)
I did not say I was baggage free nor is a 35 yo necessarily either. Aging effects everyone of course but having a younger woman by your side does soften its effects a bit. But I have met a lot of women 50+ over the years who are single and most have a lot of stuff from their past to process. I don't and its easier to find a compatible woman younger than myself and I am more attracted to younger women. I keep myself in shape and I am financially secure so I can pull it off.

This is just my experience and I don't expect everyone to agree with me. I do get this impression from you that myself dating younger women annoys you. Same impression I get in person from women from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology