Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 11:26 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I'm American.

But you see some places never have a nightlife, the point is the places that do are still in full swing.

Americans are never willing to sacrifice they lifestyle, consumption habits, and family life for a society, because one doesn't exist.

Its all about, friends, family, job, and getting ahead of everyone else in line.

Sure people will become activists for their own entertainment or because something happened to their loved one, but they will never give any of their benefits up.
You mean, like driving? Do you own a car, and if so, how long have you owned one? At what age did you get your first car? Some people have gone carless their entire adult lives, or most of their life, until illness or infirmity made driving a necessity, because they believed in minimizing their carbon footprint to the extent possible. Some people build their own passive and active solar homes for that reason. You don't really know what Americans do and don't do, for their communities, for other communities, for the country, for the planet, for marginalized people in other countries.

The world is full of all kinds of people. There are caring people, and heedless people, and generous people, and greedy people. That's life. Find your niche, and do what you believe in.

Do you have a tendency toward depression, OP? You sound a little depressed.

Old 03-14-2020, 11:35 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
I didn't read the article in the link but I believe I read the same or a similar article on another site. It talks about bars being full of mainly young people in cities like Baltimore and DC. Sure, I believe it, but how does it compare to the nation as a whole? That is hard to judge. Is it common or the exception? However, just based on what I know about American culture and Asian culture, I'm fairly certain we wouldn't see these scenes in Asia (not sure about Europe or other areas). Being that everything is relative, OP would have a point if these scenes are uniquely American. However, when the OP uses the word "never" I know they are way off base. Many, many Americans have sacrificed their normal routine for the safety of others. So a better question would be why are certain people so selfish.

Old 03-15-2020, 04:26 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Yeah great, that just means we were always selfish.

If that happened now their would be riots.

Parents get mad and stop school integration because they want to keep their kids ahead and everyone gets made if something is delayed, long lines, canceled, or prices go up marginally.

That is the entire substance to this country. And it is primary to our being.
It’s the human condition. It’s not limited to Americans. And it applies to different people in various degrees.

Your premise is seriously flawed. You’ve just got some more growing up to do.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:49 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,774 times
How is it selfish to not stop living your life because a virus, that for the most part will produce mild to moderate symptoms in the vast majority of people, if someone who contracts it notices anything at all?

Okay, so if the 'boy in the plastic bubble' cant leave his bubble, that means that no one else should be able to go outside either? Who is being selfish in that case?

If you know you have a compromised immune system, or are otherwise feeling rundown - don't go to brunch. If you are pretty sure you fall into the "mild to moderate symptoms, if I notice anything" category. Take normal precautions, but if the place isn't too crowded - have your brunch man!

Since no one has any immunity to this, because it is a new virus, it is safe to say that everyone will eventually get it. The mild to moderate cases will not be overloading our medical system, because they may not even notice they have it, and not seek any help beyond their home medicine cabinet.

We need to slow the roll, but we cannot prevent the roll.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:56 AM

786 posts, read 1,593,046 times
This post is really about you Winterfall. I can see through your all or nothing statements, sarcasm, and outright disdain for "Americans". But I think it's really about you feeling that injustices have been perpetrated on you, you feel left out, you are yearning for your own circle of family and friends that probably is lacking, you wish you could honker down with loved ones during our current COVID-19 situation but maybe they aren't there to honker down with. I get it. This can be a lonely time but you're certainly not alone. Just as human nature can manifest itself as you have suggested, it can also manifest as selflessness, sacrificing for others, taking on danger and risk for the sake of others, and I could go on. People aren't partying, they're scared. We don't like the unknown and no one can say for sure where this all leading, it could fizzle out, or it could change life as we know it for a long time as viruses don't go away, they can make several rounds, or be around forever, only dealt with by vaccines and the development of medications, but we don't know yet. I would bet that there are people around you Winterfall that would do whatever is necessary to help you in a time of need, including strangers you don't even know. So I would encourage you to take heart and not get caught up on feeling left out, don't let your fear of the unknown turn into anger towards others. When people lose control over their lives, it doesn't always bring out the best in us, but you work on what you DO have control over, and the rest, well, you do the best you can. And remember that being alone can sometimes be a decision that you DO have control over. By reading your responses on this post, it sounds like this crisis could be bringing out the worst in YOU. So maybe you're not so far away from those you are devaluing. Just food for thought. Best wishes.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:58 AM

50,244 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Yeah, never.

Sure if something affects them they could become an activist, or if they need a hobby.

But when it comes to making themselves a little bit more uncomfortable, forget about it.

They don't care about a viral outbreak or social decay that doesn't affect them, but a $2 increase in the price of a gallon of milk will cause heads to explode.

They can't let anything get in the way of their consumerist life style or their inner circle of friends/family who are just as self-centered as them.
I hope you don't own a gun.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:11 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times
I'm wondering where these parties are at. Here I was just watching Frozen 2 with my daughter on Saturday night. I completely missed the party. Maybe only real Americans were invited to the party? Maybe my American citizenship was revoked.

I think there is a case for Americans admiring and respecting self-sufficiency. I think that has to do with how our country was founded. I find greed equally present in most human societies, but I wouldn't confuse that with the U.S. being a successful country. The U.S. has invented many things that have benefited the world as a whole, many in the areas of medicine, healthcare, and technology.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:29 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Must be Americans at all the cafes and clubs that caused the French government to force a nationwide shutdown.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:46 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
This post is really about you Winterfall. I can see through your all or nothing statements, sarcasm, and outright disdain for "Americans". But I think it's really about you feeling that injustices have been perpetrated on you, you feel left out, you are yearning for your own circle of family and friends that probably is lacking, you wish you could honker down with loved ones during our current COVID-19 situation but maybe they aren't there to honker down with. I get it. This can be a lonely time but you're certainly not alone. Just as human nature can manifest itself as you have suggested, it can also manifest as selflessness, sacrificing for others, taking on danger and risk for the sake of others, and I could go on. People aren't partying, they're scared. We don't like the unknown and no one can say for sure where this all leading, it could fizzle out, or it could change life as we know it for a long time as viruses don't go away, they can make several rounds, or be around forever, only dealt with by vaccines and the development of medications, but we don't know yet. I would bet that there are people around you Winterfall that would do whatever is necessary to help you in a time of need, including strangers you don't even know. So I would encourage you to take heart and not get caught up on feeling left out, don't let your fear of the unknown turn into anger towards others. When people lose control over their lives, it doesn't always bring out the best in us, but you work on what you DO have control over, and the rest, well, you do the best you can. And remember that being alone can sometimes be a decision that you DO have control over. By reading your responses on this post, it sounds like this crisis could be bringing out the worst in YOU. So maybe you're not so far away from those you are devaluing. Just food for thought. Best wishes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
How is it selfish to not stop living your life because a virus, that for the most part will produce mild to moderate symptoms in the vast majority of people, if someone who contracts it notices anything at all?

Okay, so if the 'boy in the plastic bubble' cant leave his bubble, that means that no one else should be able to go outside either? Who is being selfish in that case?

If you know you have a compromised immune system, or are otherwise feeling rundown - don't go to brunch. If you are pretty sure you fall into the "mild to moderate symptoms, if I notice anything" category. Take normal precautions, but if the place isn't too crowded - have your brunch man!

Since no one has any immunity to this, because it is a new virus, it is safe to say that everyone will eventually get it. The mild to moderate cases will not be overloading our medical system, because they may not even notice they have it, and not seek any help beyond their home medicine cabinet.

We need to slow the roll, but we cannot prevent the roll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It’s the human condition. It’s not limited to Americans. And it applies to different people in various degrees.

Your premise is seriously flawed. You’ve just got some more growing up to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You mean, like driving? Do you own a car, and if so, how long have you owned one? At what age did you get your first car? Some people have gone carless their entire adult lives, or most of their life, until illness or infirmity made driving a necessity, because they believed in minimizing their carbon footprint to the extent possible. Some people build their own passive and active solar homes for that reason. You don't really know what Americans do and don't do, for their communities, for other communities, for the country, for the planet, for marginalized people in other countries.

The world is full of all kinds of people. There are caring people, and heedless people, and generous people, and greedy people. That's life. Find your niche, and do what you believe in.

Do you have a tendency toward depression, OP? You sound a little depressed.

No, no, no, no, no, this is all wrong.

I'm not depressed, I'm fine. Its just obvious that outside of their inner circle, people will not sacrifice their lifestyle for society.

If they do its because they see it as self-beneficial. Besides that people will just fight for their own pleasures first and leave everything else to rot.

If you don't like partying then its not a problem for you and you can smugly look down on those who do. But whenever their lifestyle must pay a price, they get enraged.

Charity is not sacrifice, its a deliberate choice made by an individual determined on their mood/state of mind. Sacrifice doesn't come when you chose it to make yourself feel better, it comes when people get together for a greater cause.

For Americans that community begins and ends with their close nit group of friends and family, everyone/everything else is a nuisance.

What is important to your consumer habits or social status? Can any of you even bear a minute delay for any of these things. People are kind and thoughtful until their basic schedule is ruined or their people can't get ahead at everyone elses expense.

This is not something for people to hate, but they have to accept it. We don't have a country.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:47 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I don't see anyone partying. But I think the original question makes one think. Yes.
And gave you a rep for a good thread subject!

A kindergarten teacher of 35 years talked to me about the change she saw over the years
with parents. Their child could NEVER have done 'that'!~!!! See, the problem? Oh brother.
So there was no example of taking responsibility - as in, saying your sorry to Suzy or that you
even did the pushing or biting.
Not good.
And, tho I like Bill Clinton - parents also told me when their kids were little that that
denial (lying) was SUCH a bad example played out on TV - of not taking responsibility --
like cheating on a test is 'ok'...that type of thing.

It's a whole mentality of 'me' at all costs.

Why in the USA?

So many reasons could be brought up - lack of religion another?
Being raised by one parent (that has little time is my point)? Being poor, so taking care of 'me'?
And then the technology, meaning little face to face communication - the games of kill or be killed?
I have worked with Olympic youth in training, cuz of the city I'm in ---you never met more
self absorbed people...
I will never accept another in-training client. What brats.
"Me,me,me - no one else matters."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology