Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 02:14 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I have heard and seen videos regarding that octopus are very intelligent, and part of the reason for their high level of intelligence is that they abandoned their outside skeleton (shell) and had to come up with ways, in a highly advanced nervous system with no backbone, to avoid predators feasting on their soft bodies. They also seem to be able to plan escapes and break into things, like glass bottles, and even to play for their own entertainment.

I don't know if that includes squid too.

At any rate, in this connection, I do read that though all bivalve crustaceans lack actual brains in the mammalian sense, they do have a nervous system that is controlled by three paired ganglia located at various points throughout their anatomy, the cerebral or cerebropleural ganglia, the pedal ganglia, and the visceral or parietovisceral ganglia.

Just sayin'.
Yeah...I actually feel uncomfortable with the idea of eating octopus, beyond my general distaste of seafood. They have way too fascinating an intellect.

What I cannot reconcile that with though, is my ability to consume pork/bacon/ham when I know damn well that pigs are very intelligent, too. And I'm not a fan of dolphins (no desire to eat them, just not a favorite creature of mine) despite knowing how smart they are. Why? No idea.

But there is just something about the octopus...

And yes, I've seen the documentary, "My Octopus Teacher" on Netflix and quite enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 05:26 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I have heard and seen videos regarding that octopus are very intelligent, and part of the reason for their high level of intelligence is that they abandoned their outside skeleton (shell) and had to come up with ways, in a highly advanced nervous system with no backbone, to avoid predators feasting on their soft bodies. They also seem to be able to plan escapes and break into things, like glass bottles, and even to play for their own entertainment.

I don't know if that includes squid too.

At any rate, in this connection, I do read that though all bivalve crustaceans lack actual brains in the mammalian sense, they do have a nervous system that is controlled by three paired ganglia located at various points throughout their anatomy, the cerebral or cerebropleural ganglia, the pedal ganglia, and the visceral or parietovisceral ganglia.

Just sayin'.
I won't eat octopi either - they have a distributed brain comprised of multiple ganglia. But squid are not in the same league intellectually as octopi. I seriously doubt shellfish and squid are conscious in a mammalian or avian sense, or have an emotional life in any meaningful sense. I draw the line at reptiles - for me, anything below that level of organization is fair game. So I'd eat frog legs but not an iguana steak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
What I cannot reconcile that with though, is my ability to consume pork/bacon/ham when I know damn well that pigs are very intelligent, too.
I do like me some bacon from time to time -- sorry, piggies. With breakfast, I like the Morningside Farms fake bacon as an alternative - and some of the vegan sausages are pretty good.

Old 12-31-2020, 05:37 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
It depends on the vegan. Ethical vegans are fanatics because they anthropomorphize the food chain and over value crop animals. They seek to proselytize and force others to eat as they do. They also violate private property rights and attempt to illegitimately stop activities like whaling, bear hunting, what-have-you.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:48 PM

10,560 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Not the handful I know. They’re all highly intelligent and are moderate in habits/lifestyle.

Old 01-01-2021, 05:45 AM

762 posts, read 452,437 times
For the open minded: Netflix The Game Changers

Old 01-01-2021, 08:50 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Some people just have a fanatic mindset when it comes to food. Vegan and low-carb regimes (at the extreme opposite ends of the food choice spectrum) seem to attract the most vocal food advocates.

But I think most people eat what they think either does the best for their bodies or tastes best, and don't lecture others about their choices.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:53 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I won't eat octopi either - they have a distributed brain comprised of multiple ganglia. But squid are not in the same league intellectually as octopi. I seriously doubt shellfish and squid are conscious in a mammalian or avian sense, or have an emotional life in any meaningful sense. I draw the line at reptiles - for me, anything below that level of organization is fair game. So I'd eat frog legs but not an iguana steak.

I do like me some bacon from time to time -- sorry, piggies. With breakfast, I like the Morningside Farms fake bacon as an alternative - and some of the vegan sausages are pretty good.
Their corn dogs taste just like the real thing! I buy them because they're only 150 calories and lower fat, versus regular corn dogs with 2 days saturated fat and twice the calories.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:56 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Not the handful I know. They’re all highly intelligent and are moderate in habits/lifestyle.
I agree. I worked with a woman who was vegan, and one who was Keto in the same office. It was a pain when we had group pot lucks to think of something to bring they could eat, but they didn't complain if there wasn't, in fact they usually brought a dish they as well as others could eat. They didn't lecture or anything. Both ate that way because they each believed it was healthier.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:57 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Their corn dogs taste just like the real thing! I buy them because they're only 150 calories and lower fat, versus regular corn dogs with 2 days saturated fat and twice the calories.
Haven't tried the corn dogs - adding them to my shopping list!

Old 01-01-2021, 09:00 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Vegans do make a mess of celebrations. I do think vegan etiquette should automatically include that vegans always bring all their food to celebrations. It’s blatantly rude to expect the host of a celebration to cater to your personal culinary style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology