Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 11:52 AM

1,075 posts, read 553,346 times

Advertisements

Advocating for things that you get to take full advantage of, but then opposing all things that you don't get to take full advantage of, but may have in the past.

I.e. Taking advantage of public schooling for your children but then voting against public education measures after your kids are out of school.

It boils down to America's infamous "I got mine" mentality. This is the epitome of selfishness IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2023, 10:26 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
Selfish: Moving in with your daughter and son in law and asking them to buy a bigger more expensive house to accommodate you (and really playing on your daughters emotions to get what you want) then 6 months later moving out and taking your portion of the bills with you and leaving them a with a house payment that they cannot afford.
Son in law probably should have taken a hard stand on that one.

There are self centered people everywhere it's up to us to keep up boundaries to protect ourselves from harm.

Old 07-10-2023, 02:54 PM

2,071 posts, read 1,039,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Have read one too many threads about some people who THINK someone is being "selfish".

My goodness...if a woman doesn't want to DATE a guy, somehow, she's being 'selfish'. If she doesn't want to have sex, she's being 'selfish'.

if a dude doesn't give a buck to a homeless guy, that dude is being selfish.

Where does selfishness begin and end?

What SAY you?
The meaning of the word 'self-ish" is that the person is all about himself and mainly prioritizes himself over all others in every aspect of life.

A person that doesn't want to date a guy is not being selfish, she's probably being smart.

My sister's husband is selfish. He has a 63 inch big screen and it's "his" TV and she has to watch the movies she enjoys on her laptop. There is no compromise, no sharing time or picking days over who gets the big screen when. HE gets it all the time.

He invites his friends over and makes her go to the store and get food and beer for them, so he doesn't have to leave. He is selfish.

My best friend's husband will not let her drive 3 hours to my home to spend one night on a weekend to grill steaks and spend time together. He has to come or she can't go. If she goes shopping, he reports her card as being stolen. If she reads a book, he drags her from the bed by her hair to the couch because she was not paying HIM 100% of her attention. If she rolls over in her sleep, she gets slapped, if he wakes up and she's turned away from him. Now that is selfish and most definitely a NARCISSIST. Most narcissists are very selfish but selfish doesn't mean you're a narcissist. Some people are merely self centered. Whereas your thoughts are usually centered on yourself and your actions as well.

Old 07-11-2023, 08:04 AM

Selfishness is expecting everything to be on your terms. A person can be helping or giving, but ineffectively because they are giving what they would want for themselves not what the other person wants or needs. And there are strings.

Selfish people don't ask, they assume.

Old 07-13-2023, 05:08 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,219,465 times
Quote:
Have read one too many threads about some people who THINK someone is being "selfish".

My goodness...if a woman doesn't want to DATE a guy, somehow, she's being 'selfish'. If she doesn't want to have sex, she's being 'selfish'.

if a dude doesn't give a buck to a homeless guy, that dude is being selfish.

Where does selfishness begin and end?

What SAY you?
But dating a guy and not having sex with a guy is certainly not selfish. Or it's completely justified as that has to do with yourself.

I would say selfishness is not being considerate to others. And this could be as simple as not waiting in line or all the way up to theft.

There are certain things you don't need to be considerate of however.

Old 07-13-2023, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
The meaning of the word 'self-ish" is that the person is all about himself and mainly prioritizes himself over all others in every aspect of life.

A person that doesn't want to date a guy is not being selfish, she's probably being smart.

My sister's husband is selfish. He has a 63 inch big screen and it's "his" TV and she has to watch the movies she enjoys on her laptop. There is no compromise, no sharing time or picking days over who gets the big screen when. HE gets it all the time.

He invites his friends over and makes her go to the store and get food and beer for them, so he doesn't have to leave. He is selfish.

My best friend's husband will not let her drive 3 hours to my home to spend one night on a weekend to grill steaks and spend time together. He has to come or she can't go. If she goes shopping, he reports her card as being stolen. If she reads a book, he drags her from the bed by her hair to the couch because she was not paying HIM 100% of her attention. If she rolls over in her sleep, she gets slapped, if he wakes up and she's turned away from him. Now that is selfish and most definitely a NARCISSIST. Most narcissists are very selfish but selfish doesn't mean you're a narcissist. Some people are merely self centered. Whereas your thoughts are usually centered on yourself and your actions as well.
I hope someday your friend finds the strength to leave this abuser. He sounds dangerous.

Old 07-13-2023, 10:22 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,621 times
Selfishness is when other people are going out of their way to do things that help others (family in need, friends, community), but you don't do the same. Especially family.

There are no clearly defined, black and white rules. Every situation is different and should be examined on its own.

Old 07-13-2023, 10:26 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,621 times
Quote:

if a dude doesn't give a buck to a homeless guy, that dude is being selfish. ?
Or a couple who doesn't want children is selfish. Gimme a break. This kind of judgment drives me crazy.

By that same logic, if I'm driving the speed limit and someone behind me is tailgating me, I'm selfish for not driving faster to accommodate him.

Old 07-16-2023, 05:59 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,160,794 times
I had to learn the meaning of selfishness the hard way. It cost me my first marriage. I didn’t grow up until my early 40s. As a newly divorced man, I did a lot of soul searching. I finally admitted that I was immature and selfish. I’m now remarried and I now put my wife first and me a distant second. It’s wonderful!

Being selfish sucks!

Old 07-17-2023, 12:14 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I had to learn the meaning of selfishness the hard way. It cost me my first marriage. I didn’t grow up until my early 40s. As a newly divorced man, I did a lot of soul searching. I finally admitted that I was immature and selfish. I’m now remarried and I now put my wife first and me a distant second. It’s wonderful!

Being selfish sucks!
Ummm... no. What you describe is not a sign of maturity. When a couple are equal partners and BOTH have consideration for the other person and the relationship as a whole, that is mature. You are actually describing a type of power game that is opposite to the one you first played, but comes with cookies. It can feel good and give endorphin rushes, but usually will fall apart over time.

Relationships are work and take regular work. Good ones improve with age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology