Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 10:55 AM

493 posts, read 1,386,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Only managed to land a catfish, when I wanted Redfish. Oh well, it was still a gorgeous day out there. I thought I'd share this photo of where I spent the day in the mangroves near the Myakka Cutoff. Hard to believe by looking but this spot only has depths of 1-3'. You have to have a trolling motor to get in and out. It looks like a lake, doesn't it?

Nice pic, I can't wait to get down and do a little Redfishing as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 04:40 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,464,213 times
You guys had better be careful out there

YouTube - ‪killer whale eats eskimo‬‏

Old 06-14-2011, 06:23 AM

That would hurt!! That's one big fishy!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:05 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrivman1 View Post
That would hurt!! That's one big fishy!
I wonder how long it took the eskimo to skin and clean that fish?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:30 PM

463 posts, read 866,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I wonder how long it took the eskimo to skin and clean that fish?

It's a much slower process from the inside

Old 06-16-2011, 06:35 PM

6 posts, read 14,856 times
HI everyone! Haven't posted in quite a long time but finally did it! Retired in New York and moved to Port Charlotte in early April. Loving it here but am dying to fish. No idea where to begin as I have never fished salt water before. What I am really wanting to learn is to fish from the beach. Not sure why but it has always appealed to me. Looking to see if anyone is headed out and would be willing to show me the ropes....

Old 06-16-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpt View Post
HI everyone! Haven't posted in quite a long time but finally did it! Retired in New York and moved to Port Charlotte in early April. Loving it here but am dying to fish. No idea where to begin as I have never fished salt water before. What I am really wanting to learn is to fish from the beach. Not sure why but it has always appealed to me. Looking to see if anyone is headed out and would be willing to show me the ropes....
If Big House is out there I'm sure he will give you some pointers, he is always wade fishing, and doing all sorts of different types of techniques for salt water. I've personally tried fishing from the beach in several different places in Florida, and have caught some smaller fish like croaker. Look back in the thread and you will find that there was a girl who caught a very large grouper very recently from a beach nearby. The post was by SoFLGal.

Good luck in your learning process, I'm about to come down myself to look for an area to live in July. You might try pier fishing, it can be very fun as well.

If you get out with Big House don't forget to bring the Yeungling (beer).

Old 06-16-2011, 08:25 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,775,337 times
Welcome to the thread and welcome to the area. If you want to fish with your feet in the sand, I'd recommend starting at Stump Pass State Park. You can fish the Gulf or the bay without moving your car. It's a pay to park area, about 5 bucks I think, but that will keep you there all day. Before you go, decide if you want to fish live bait or lures. Both will catch fish but lures take some learning. I recommend you go to my favorite bait shop, Fishin' Franks, on US41 near the Peace River bridge, next to Circle K. The staff there is great and will set you up with the right gear. Tell them how and where you plan to fish and they will show you what you need.

Don't forget to have a license, a good lipping tool, a better long nose plier, and lots of water/clear fluids. Start reading the Water Line, which comes out every Thursday for free. You can get a copy at the bait shop or read the online version. I learned a ton from Franks and the writers in the Water Line. (I've been here since Dec 07).

When you are ready to buy a boat, read earlier threads in this post or feel free to ask what we've learned from our mistakes too. LOL. I have the right boat now and almost always catch fish. For me, the most fun is to not target a particular species but to just go out to catch fish. I release more than I keep but it's still a blast.

If money is no object (right?) you can start going out with professonal guides and captains and learn must faster, I'm sure. Fishin' Franks also is a place the pros hang out to teach and maybe get some business while they're at it. It's where I learned to throw a cast net in their parking lot.

I came here thinking I'd become a sailor but I'm having a blast pretending to be a fisherman. Again, welcome to paradise.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:45 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trpt View Post
trpt, check in next week. I plan on doing both some wade fishing and going out on my boat. I am not sure when, weather plays a big factor. This weekend we are sending my daughter off to Ireland to study abroad for the summer, and as soon as she is gone, I will be into high fishing, and rigging some of my new stuff. Wade fishing is easy and a blast. You can go out almost anywhere, just make sure to wear sun glasses, a hat, bring a bait bucket that will float, some string to tie it off to you, and some shoes that can get muddy. You need to protect your feet from barnacles and shells!! If you check in, we can arrange where to go.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:20 PM

6 posts, read 14,856 times
Sounds great Big House! Will definitely check in next week Thanks to all who replied also....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte