Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 06:15 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,374,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Luckily a GFCI outlet is only $12-15 and easy to change out :-)
Easy and cheap yes but I think his point was the contractor should be aware of the codes so inspections aren't failed and add yet more days to the construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 06:57 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,787,772 times
What are theese door alarms? A new code ? i didnt have to have any when i had a pool done hear ago.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:26 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,778,590 times
Not sure when it went into effect, Mike, but yes...in Charlotte County, for a new pool you must have either a physical barrier such as a pool fence or window and door alarms that protect the children and elderly who don't live with you.

After final inspection, most people remove all of the security features and return them to the retail where they were purchased. There is much debate about that on CD but the fact is these 6 packages I purchased have all been used and returned multiple times, as evidence by the taped up packaging and the worn out stickies on the wireless alarms.

It's the illusion of security. #whatajoke
#soclosebutyetsofar

Old 07-15-2014, 05:16 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
Easy and cheap yes but I think his point was the contractor should be aware of the codes so inspections aren't failed and add yet more days to the construction.
I had to change my existing patio outlet as well. Pool company said bringing up existing features to code is not part of the contract (and I can see their point). The inspector wanted the actual circuit breaker to be GFCI (about $60!) and I argued that is ONLY required for equipment located at a dock. He backed off and passed me with just the GFCI outlet.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:31 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,374,769 times
I understand updating existing not being part of the contract but informing the homeowner that it would need to be taken care of costs them nothing. He could have DIY'd it and passed that inspection.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:53 AM

1,721 posts, read 2,787,772 times
MA i had a screen cage and also a baby barier that would protect if you hadlottle kids in the lania cage area even if they came in screen door.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:35 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM8560 View Post
MA i had a screen cage and also a baby barier that would protect if you hadlottle kids in the lania cage area even if they came in screen door.
Yes Mike, the two options to pass the safety inspection are 1) the baby barrier (costs more) and 2) door & window alarms. If people don't have kids around regularly, there's no sense in paying more for the baby fence and having the holes drilled, storing the fence when not in use, etc... Thus the reason people often buy the alarms, install, pass inspection, then return them to the store.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,778,590 times
Day 88 update:
Paid my neighbor electrician $100 to get the existing electric up to code.

"Borrowed" 2 more crappy door/window alarms from Home Depot for a total of 8.

Removed screens from guest bathroom and guest bedroom louvered windows, so that crappy alarms can be attached to actual window (which openings are too small for a puppy to fit through, much less a child).

Genius Charlotte County building inspector never even looked in those two rooms, which were the primary cause of failing us last week.

Bottom line - we passed both final electric and final "illusion of pool safety" inspections. Ready to surface and put water in the perpetual hole in my backyard. Oh, but when???? Vegas has the over/under at 7 days. Place your bets, place your bets.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:24 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Default Vegas has the over/under at 7 days

Unfortunately I have 20 bucks on the over. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:18 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,965,150 times
Afraid you're going to have to put some odds out there to get any "under" bets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte