Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:59 AM

959 posts, read 4,494,314 times

Advertisements

Thanks guys, it was a fun post to write

I responded to the Cary bashing post but then deleted it b/c I hadn't realized it took a piece of scorp's post out of context, which seems to have really upset scorp. Though I think really the quote was just used as a jumping off point to say that Cary is also often bashed. Personally, I love suburban areas and am currently living in a very suburban area of Durham in an HOA subdivision full of beige mcmansion style homes What attracted me to Durham suburbia was the location, shopping, and that it is central to so many things to do (including family-friendly activities and events in Durham, Hillsborough, Chapel Hill, Cary, and NW Raleigh - all of which are reachable within 20 mins).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 10:02 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,258,578 times
I was able to give Indigo rep points. Also dismissed Durham until I stumbled upon this forum -- and like Indigo's husband didn't realize there was a downtown. We'll be staying in Durham when we visit next month.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:04 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,968,193 times
I've got just one more thing to say on this actually - my entire point was that newcomers may be directed away from a city that is right FOR THEM and meets THEIR needs based on rumor that another person has heard, or another person's experience, when perhaps the advice giver does not have the same interests or needs as the person seeking advice. So, I specifically mentioned myself and Cary as people very much enjoy living there and may recommend it to me, when FOR ME it is not my ideal place to live in the Triangle. My ideal place would be in Trinity Park or Old West Durham. I don't expect others to think that's their ideal place. My sentence was reposted out of context.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:34 AM

306 posts, read 1,306,713 times
I have noticed that Durham residents who complain about suburban living mostly target Cary rather than Parkwood or Southpoint or Woodcroft or Hillandale or Cole Mile etc. I have noticed that Raleigh residents who complain about suburban living also tend to target Cary rather than the suburban parts of their own city. To me the whole Triangle area is suburban with the exception of the central business districts in both Raleigh and Durham. Is a 1960s neighborhood in Cary really that different from those in Raleigh and Durham? Are there new construction homes on cul-de-sacs in Raleigh and Durham? Personally I think that neighborhoods from the same era have more in common with each other than with their respective town/city.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:42 AM

104 posts, read 486,074 times
Well, I was considering Durham as a place to live, but then I stumbled upon Durham's Crimer Mapper website, and that pretty much convinced me to look elsewhere. Every house I was looking at was in a sea of red dots.

I guess Durham is a great town to live in if you can afford a $200,000+ house in a great neighborhood, but if you're in the $75,000 to $100,000 range, you're basically limited to those 'lesser' neighborhoods where you can't ignore the crime that's going on.

I don't like either violent crime or property crime, and it seems like almost every block in the heart of Durham has had more than it's share of burglaries, vehicle thefts, robberies, etc., even if no violent crime was committed in the vicinity.

I do agree with you that people should do their research and not dismiss it on second-hand erroneous information, but I found that Durham would not be a good fit for us.

I could get a lot more house for less money in the surrounding areas and not have to worry so much about my kids wandering the neighborhoods.

However, that being said, your post was quite informative. Thanks.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:46 AM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
I responded to the Cary bashing post but then deleted it b/c I hadn't realized it took a piece of scorp's post out of context, which seems to have really upset scorp. Though I think really the quote was just used as a jumping off point to say that Cary is also often bashed.
Indigoblue - very true. And I fully acknowledge that I completely took scorp200's comments out of context. I would have preferred to respond to a post that was true Cary bashing to make my point that Cary gets bashed a lot too. Unfortunately - scorp200 was too diplomatic in the post so I had to do some cutting to make it work .

scorp200 - my apologies. My post was just having a little fun with all the bashing that goes on with Durham and Cary. I'd give you rep points but it says I've done so too recently.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
I understand your frustration but a little history about this state I have lived or hung out in about all parts of this state so I kinda know where this all began.

Before Suburban life really kick in it was really unheard of commuting from one city to another. If you lived in durham you hung out and dated people in durham going to raleigh was kinda ordeal due to most everything you need was within 15 minutes. This is why you will hear more from locals complaining about traffic in todays time. While those from other places think what traffic. Some cities got a bad rap and you just didnt hang out with those from that area or least not go there unless you had to.

You made very valid point about people making prejudgemental statements about an area and havent been there in 5 to 10 years and do not know how the area has progress. I try not let it get to me but think this helps make this area a good kept secret. If people are shun from the area then it means less traffic hopefully less crowded schools etc.
I love the Parkwood community in Durham beautiful establish neighborhood close to the mall and Jordan Lake and Chapel Hill.

It been a history of this state the triangle isnt alone here a thread I did showing the other areas in the state that have their own black sheep
What is with all the black sheep?

Old 07-06-2007, 10:57 AM

171 posts, read 452,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
I've got just one more thing to say on this actually - my entire point was that newcomers may be directed away from a city that is right FOR THEM and meets THEIR needs based on rumor that another person has heard, or another person's experience, when perhaps the advice giver does not have the same interests or needs as the person seeking advice. So, I specifically mentioned myself and Cary as people very much enjoy living there and may recommend it to me, when FOR ME it is not my ideal place to live in the Triangle. My ideal place would be in Trinity Park or Old West Durham. I don't expect others to think that's their ideal place. My sentence was reposted out of context.
I think most people understood your point. You weren't bashing Cary. I actually thought you were defending Cary even though it just wasn't the right place for you to call home.

Your input is valuable on this board and I'm sure most here would appreciate it if you would continue to share your input.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:09 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,968,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpea View Post
Is a 1960s neighborhood in Cary really that different from those in Raleigh and Durham? Are there new construction homes on cul-de-sacs in Raleigh and Durham? Personally I think that neighborhoods from the same era have more in common with each other than with their respective town/city.
Actually there are parts of Durham that are kinda too suburban for me as well (I live in one!) but we just hadn't broken it down by neighborhood yet in the thread. As far as I know though, what I like about Durham I can't find in Cary. I probably can in Raleigh (inside the beltline) but it's more expensive, plus, I like living near Duke and UNC.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:10 AM

306 posts, read 1,306,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I love the Parkwood community in Durham beautiful establish neighborhood close to the mall and Jordan Lake and Chapel Hill.

It been a history of this state the triangle isnt alone here a thread I did showing the other areas in the state that have their own black sheep
What is with all the black sheep?
When I lived in Durham I used to go to the Parkwood Library. I liked it there. Indeed the Southwest area of Durham (Parkwood, Woodcroft, Southpoint) reminds me of the Central and Southern area of Cary.

I do acknowledge that Durham has some reputation issues. When I lived in Southern Durham and met with people from other areas of the Triangle some individuals would have that 'well, aren't you brave' response on learning my home address.

Now that I live in Downtown Cary and meet with people from other areas of the Triangle some individuals give me the 'well, aren't you special' response. False assumptions ensue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary