Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:57 AM

331 posts, read 1,126,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
See now that keeps the houses somewhat affordable for the rest of us who would buy there first...so it all works out ?? Uh until you go to sell, I guess.
Buying in Durham is definitely a good value in the long term. If you can hold on until attitudes change (20 years, 30 years, more?) then you may experience abnormally high returns but most of us don't have that kind of time horizon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 09:48 AM

46 posts, read 210,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Great points but the fact is that there is a stigma attached to Durham that isn't likely to change anytime soon. Unfortunately the high crime reputation is as detrimental to property values as actual crime. If I were house hunting in the Triangle area Durham is the last place that I'd buy.
Quote:
Buying in Durham is definitely a good value in the long term. If you can hold on until attitudes change (20 years, 30 years, more?) then you may experience abnormally high returns but most of us don't have that kind of time horizon.
This is nonsense. My home's in one of the traditional neighborhoods in Durham and has experienced 50% appreciation in the last 3 years. What a terrible return. Posts like yours, containing misinformation, certainly add to the "stigma" that you refer to.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:23 AM

460 posts, read 1,770,370 times
Quote:
Don't flatter yourself into thinking that 'your' attitude and the attitude of your hick pals is the prevailing attitude.

Fortunately for Durham, there are plenty of people without 'attitude' moving to the area that know a hick attitude when they hear/see it.

Old timers from Raleigh/Cary, etc think that it's the center of the universe, and that any stigma 'they' perceive is one shared by all.

As others have pointed out. Durham doesn't exist in a vacuum, and for people moving in from any number of places from out of state, Durham is just fine.

While everyone is in favor of crime levels anywhere going DOWN, I think most would also be in favor of hicks 'getting a clue'. (Or at least keeping their hick mouths shut.)

**BTW, just so we're all on the same page, here's the definition of HICK I'm using: Provincial; unsophisticated

Old 11-15-2007, 12:58 PM

405 posts, read 1,770,434 times
Quote:
What nonsense indeed. I'm set to sell my little starter home in SW Durham in the spring for 35% more than I paid for it 3 years ago--and I didn't come up with those numbers, my realtor and the comps did. IMO, that's some decent appreciation in the SHORT TERM.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:25 PM

213 posts, read 936,684 times
I have lived in Raleigh for the past 13 1/2 years and Durham has always been presented on the news to be a very depressed and violent place. I am not saying that this is fact. I am just saying that this is where the misconception may come from.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:03 PM

82 posts, read 272,079 times
Durham this time cannot spike real estate carpets, telivision, and or weight benches. Computer railroads are the sky green cage in the pheasant and the basement to which we speaker are apart of. Thanks to the profound glue and the butterfly ditches!

Old 11-15-2007, 05:43 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpaws02 View Post
Durham this time cannot spike real estate carpets, telivision, and or weight benches. Computer railroads are the sky green cage in the pheasant and the basement to which we speaker are apart of. Thanks to the profound glue and the butterfly ditches!
I want some of whatever you're having.

I think.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:21 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 566,015 times
Quote:
Best. Post. Ever.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:25 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,707 times
Quote:
Amen! Pass the pipe please

Old 11-16-2007, 07:51 AM

460 posts, read 1,770,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamsauer View Post
I have lived in Raleigh for the past 13 1/2 years and Durham has always been presented on the news to be a very depressed and violent place. I am not saying that this is fact. I am just saying that this is where the misconception may come from.
Durham doesn't present in the news as a 'very' depressed and violent place. In fact, the news hear is far more tame than in other cities I've lived in. Unlike you, I've lived in several cities, in several states over the past 13 1/2 years, so I have something to compare...

People (especially hicks) hear what they want to hear. THIS is a fact.

You want violent, depressed news, watch the news in Los Angeles. You'd think no place was safe.

Even worse, watch international news. There are people all around the world truly living in 'very' depressed, and extremely violent situations that make Durham look like Shangri-la.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-16-2007 at 10:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary