Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:47 PM

285 posts, read 1,039,737 times

Advertisements

I've been here a couple of weeks now and never noticed the "give reputation" option, though I see the "rate this post positively" link. How does one give reputation to a poster? If I am way off topic, feel free to PM me. I searched around the site and didn't see the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 12:50 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,936,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaClaire View Post
I've been here a couple of weeks now and never noticed the "give reputation" option, though I see the "rate this post positively" link. How does one give reputation to a poster? If I am way off topic, feel free to PM me. I searched around the site and didn't see the information.

I think it is when you rate a post positively in the bottom left corner it adds to your rep but I am just guessing.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:02 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,867 times
You can do a quick rep at the bottom left of the post. If you want to leave a comment with your rep, click on the scales at the upper right. If you want to see the comments people have left for you, click on "My Settings" at the top of the page. If you think the post needs to be seen by a moderator, click the exclamation point in the triangle at the upper right. Hope that covers it all...

Old 07-06-2007, 02:14 PM

306 posts, read 1,306,264 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/about-forum/ is a good resource for newcomers to the forum. Tons of information for users.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:23 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
You can do a quick rep at the bottom left of the post. If you want to leave a comment with your rep, click on the scales at the upper right. If you want to see the comments people have left for you, click on "My Settings" at the top of the page. If you think the post needs to be seen by a moderator, click the exclamation point in the triangle at the upper right. Hope that covers it all...
Wow the things you can learn! LOL I probably should give myself a tour of HOW to use this forum---six weeks into it now... I never knew you could leave a comment and I never knew you could check on comments left for you!

Old 07-06-2007, 02:48 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,422 times
Thanks so much for the tips, everyone! I didn't realize that people had left comments for me. My most surprising discovery was that a troll actually gave me a negative reputation point for a typo!

But back on topic.
Part of living in Durham is accepting that you live in a city. Those of us who chose to live here understand the good and bad that can come with that. We also understand that you shouldn't paint an entire city with one wide brush. The crime is not evenly sprinkled around the entire town; it varies. And as you can see from the links Indogoblue provided, the crime rate is steadily decreasing. I definitely encourage anyone interested in moving to Durham to consider the crime distribution & choose accordingly. Because honestly ... there are great places to live in Durham.

I've said it before, but I'd like to say again that no town is perfect for everyone. We ruled out most of the towns within the Triangle for our own personal reasons (too expensive for us, too long of a commute for us, too far away from the shops we prefer, etc). In the end, we chose to buy our home in southern Durham & we're happy with our choice. That doesn't mean it's the right choice for everyone, but it certainly was right for us.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:15 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,936,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Thanks so much for the tips, everyone! I didn't realize that people had left comments for me. My most surprising discovery was that a troll actually gave me a negative reputation point for a typo!

But back on topic.
Part of living in Durham is accepting that you live in a city. Those of us who chose to live here understand the good and bad that can come with that. We also understand that you shouldn't paint an entire city with one wide brush. The crime is not evenly sprinkled around the entire town; it varies. And as you can see from the links Indogoblue provided, the crime rate is steadily decreasing. I definitely encourage anyone interested in moving to Durham to consider the crime distribution & choose accordingly. Because honestly ... there are great places to live in Durham.

I've said it before, but I'd like to say again that no town is perfect for everyone. We ruled out most of the towns within the Triangle for our own personal reasons (too expensive for us, too long of a commute for us, too far away from the shops we prefer, etc). In the end, we chose to buy our home in southern Durham & we're happy with our choice. That doesn't mean it's the right choice for everyone, but it certainly was right for us.
My wife and I are experienceing the same thing. Where in Durham are you if you don't mind me asking as we are researching Bradbury Glen and Ganyard Farms. It's off of 98 but seemed to be away from what some people may consider a "questionable" area. That same wide brush that people are painting with though is an issue when it comes to resale but we are not looking to fork out a ton of money yet until we find the right area for us. We are checking out areas a few years at a time and once we settle then we will get that 3500sq ft + home :-)

Old 07-06-2007, 03:33 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,422 times
Tluv, we are in Woodcroft, a large neighborhood about one mile north of Southpoint Mall. Sorry, but I don't know anything about the area you're considering! Maybe someone else can help.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:45 PM

959 posts, read 4,492,718 times
I might have to give you a typo-negative-point myself! "Indogoblue"??

Speaking of dogs...I just discovered that at some point I got a negative rep pt for saying large dogs around my children makes me nervous. How fun, I look forward to leaving comments with rep pts from now.

But to get back on topic - I <3 Durham And I agree with all of MrsSteel's points It's a city, and that's going to have pros and cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post

But back on topic.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:48 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Durham, NC snapshot

You can compare Durham against the "Top 10 places to live" and it lacks in almost all categories behind the national average except Universities (which is what helps boost it as the "smartest places to live" and on ALL crime there is no contest. The schools are listed as -3.9% reading and -16.9% BEHIND the STATE average so unless you move into a specific school district, like Jordan, you are going against a pretty poor average. Look at the quality of life. The Personal Crime Index is 200, National avergae is 100 and best places to live is 45. Property crime is 252 against 100 and 74 (national and best places). Air Quality is lower, Personal crime per 100,000 is TRIPLE the national average and property crime per 100,000 is over double that of the national average and this is all from 2006.

It's not just people in this forum it's CNNMoney that is "bashing" your city. I am not trying to bash Durham with the above and linked info but to throw out all of those stats, most of which are from Durham based webpages you cannot tell me that the numbers are incorrect. Yeah certain parts of Durham may be nice but certain parts have a certain amount of space and unless that is open you are not getting to take advantage of those nice areas. Still considering Durham but the numbers are the numbers.
South Durham is about the only part of Durham I find to be nice. The rest of it is very random.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary