Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 10:16 AM

355 posts, read 958,427 times

Advertisements

You are at least the second NY-er to ask this same question for the same reasons on the boards. I remember a lengthy thread about it. I would say that really good pizza is always in demand. There are plenty of pizza places - you can't throw a rock without hitting a couple - but there's only a handful that I care for. There are also quite a few places that advertise NY style (Including one called "I [heart] NY Pizza). Still, there are a few underserved pockets. For example, in my part of NW Raleigh, I know of only one place will deliver to my address, and they are terrible.

The few good independent places* do very well. People mentioned Lilly's, which is not NY style, rather, they do a mutant style of pie, that's good in it's own funky way. Bella Mia in Cary is another good example. They do a terrific Napoli style (coal fired, 00 flour, San Marzano (sic?) tomatoes, true buffalo mozzarella - I include this not for the OP's benefit, but others may ask) and are mobbed all the time.

If I had a vote, I would take more Pizza Napoletana style than NY. But, there are many, many ex-NY'ers that are craving a taste of home.

***meant to say places, not chains earlier - i frickin hate chains

Last edited by Clever User Name; 01-24-2011 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 10:20 AM

323 posts, read 634,266 times
North Raleigh Guy: your post made me laugh, and I need it on this morning of -10 degree weather! I promise, no cheesy NY decor!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:21 AM

229 posts, read 704,313 times
I ONLY eat at independent pizza places, with one exception being Mellow Mushroom. They are a chain, but I don't consider them huge and evil yet. The best NY style pizza I've found in Raleigh so far, is from an independent shop called Bada Bing Pizza. Horrible name, but tasty pies.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:25 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,950,756 times
I would agree that you shouldn't just market "NY Style" pizza, if your product is good, it will sell. There are quite a few places I've tried in the 4 years living here that claim to be "NY Style" and it's far from it... I go for what tastes good, not necessarily a bad imitation of a NY Product or any other state for that matter. My pick for overall best pizza is Randy's in RTP on Miami Blvd in Durham/Morrisville. If you order their large pie, it's a great product, by the slice is good too, but the best tasting is by the whole pie/pizza. My opinion anyway Lubrano's in Morrisville is also quite good, same scenario, tastes better by the whole pie large or medium. I also like California Pizza Kitchen as well @ Streets At Southpoint...Amante in Carrboro is excellent as well. I wouldn't lump all of us NY'ers as complainers and miserable about the pizza here Good Luck to you.

Last edited by nynraleigh; 01-24-2011 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-24-2011, 10:26 AM

323 posts, read 634,266 times
I think what I'm really getting at is not just "do you enjoy NY pizza?" It's more, do you go to independent places to eat? I have heard more than a few times that Raleigh is filled with chains, and they sort of take over??

Old 01-24-2011, 10:35 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,190,141 times
I can think of a lot more independent pizza places around here than chains. I'm in pizza he!! down here because I loathe NY style pizza much preferring Chicago style.

ETA. We prefer independent or local chain restaurants vs national chains.

Last edited by cncsmomndad; 01-24-2011 at 11:03 AM..

Old 01-24-2011, 10:53 AM

809 posts, read 2,188,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat456 View Post
I think what I'm really getting at is not just "do you enjoy NY pizza?" It's more, do you go to independent places to eat? I have heard more than a few times that Raleigh is filled with chains, and they sort of take over??
Heck, with your pleasant and engaging demeanor here at City-Data, I'd come eat Pizza at your place.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:04 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,608,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
Heck, with your pleasant and engaging demeanor here at City-Data, I'd come eat Pizza at your place.
Good point. Most of the time we get:

I'm from New York, the pizza capital of the world, and my mission is to bring my amazing pizza to the good, yet uninformed people of Raleigh.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:33 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,579,051 times
Default All pizza is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat456 View Post
Hi, my family and I are looking to move to the Triangle Area from CT. We are in the pizza business here, and are wondering if people enjoy non-chain, "New York style" pizza in Raleigh. There are a couple for sale in the area that we will be visiting, but would love to hear some feedback from anyone out there. Thanks!
If you come down and get into the pizza game just avoid trying to get a foothold in the New York style game. Just make the pizza you know how to make and market yourself on the quality of your product.

Being from New York I tend to avoid "New York Style" anything much like I avoided anything branded "Famous Ray's" back in the day. There was only one Ray's pizza and it didn't need to use gimmicks to market itself. I know so many people around here who talk up a place called "Fuggataboutit". I've been there twice and despite people claiming it's the best New York style pizza in Raleigh have walked away both times wondering if by New York they meant Albany or Buffalo.

If you make good pizza now and have been successful you'll do fine down here. Most people who truly enjoy pizza and know good from bad avoid the chains like crazy because they're over-priced and fancy. Everyone who knows, knows authentic New York style pizza is anything but fancy and anything but pricey.

Good luck and if/when you make it down here let us know; I'll try any slice at least once (and usually twice).

Old 01-24-2011, 11:35 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,710,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Good point. Most of the time we get:

I'm from New York, the pizza capital of the world, and my mission is to bring my amazing pizza to the good, yet uninformed people of Raleigh.

I wouldn't mind, if that actually happened. Lots of bland, bad pizza to be had around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary