Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 07:44 PM

358 posts, read 821,984 times

Advertisements

Went to 4 more pizzerias today.

Randy's in TRP. 8.5 - pretty tasty, but very thin and floppy. Good size slice. Gets extra points for opening 30 minutes early to let me in. That's customer service. I'd go back.

Lilly's. 6.5 - OK, but I don't know why it's so popular. Maybe because the place is kinda "hip"? Their dough is very good, but their sauce put me off a little, with a consistency like tomato paste and pretty strongly flavored, too, more so than most pizzas. The sauce seemed more like what might go on pasta rather than pizza.

NY Pizza in Cary 6.0 - So-so. Slice was thin and floppy. Sauce was bland for me.

Bada Bing. 6.0 - Same as NY Pizza, but with an added flavor of more oregano than I prefer. Plus the
Flyers were on the TV getting their butts kicked by the Bruins, so that just added insult to injury.

Also ate a cupcake from Daisy Cakes in Durham. MMMMM!!

Tried for a hotdog from Roast Grill, but it was closed when I got there. Bummer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 09:10 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg2ntst View Post
Lilly's. 6.5 - OK, but I don't know why it's so popular. Maybe because the place is kinda "hip"? Their dough is very good, but their sauce put me off a little, with a consistency like tomato paste and pretty strongly flavored, too, more so than most pizzas. The sauce seemed more like what might go on pasta rather than pizza.
I agree about Lilly's pizza. I think their dough is also too sweet. I think they are appealing because of their gluten-free pies, and yes, because it's a hip little spot with nice outdoor seating. I must say, though, that the spinach/portabello salad from Lilly's is top-notch - absolutely perfect. I have made excuses to drive to Raleigh from Chapel Hill just to have that salad with a cold PBR from the tap. It's a beautiful thing.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:07 PM

I was in Fayetteville today and got a couple of slices from Little Italy Pizza at Owen and Walter Reed. Very tasty, but thin and floppy. I know...some people like it like that - the "folders". LOL!!

Old 05-03-2011, 08:34 AM

246 posts, read 627,452 times
Funny, I don't get the big deal about Randy's but love Lilly's.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:41 AM

112 posts, read 180,876 times
I'm a huge fan of Slice on NY in briar creek also.....I have been trying out pizza's joints in the area for the past 10 years or so and have found it to be the most consistent.

If you do go to Randy's, the RTP one is the only one I really care for. I'm going to give Brooklyn Bro's in Cary and shot again soon, and will check out Anna's in Apex.

Love me some pizza!

Old 05-03-2011, 01:02 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,957 times
I've got to agree about Lily's, really nasty.

I don't know if it has been mentioned but J&S on Williams St./55 in Apex makes a good pie.

I think Giorgina's on Davis is also really good.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:23 PM

I have Slice of NY on the list already and will add J&S and Giorgina's. Next report will be the weekend after next.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:43 PM

Had slices today at Brooklyn Boys, Georgina's and Slice of NY. Tried Two Guys on Hillsborough, but no slices on weekends (and they're right across the street from NC State - weird).

Brooklyn Boys was the first one, pretty good, would eat there again - 7.5

Georgina's was second and was excellent, almost as good as Anna's. Will definitely be back there again before I leave. Had a nice talk with the owner, Tommy - 9.5

Slice of NY in Apex. Eh...sauce and the cheese reminded me of Domino's or Papa John's - 6.0. HOWEVER, they had "black & white" cookies there. Haven't had one since the last time I was in NYC a few years ago. It was really good and is the only reason for me to go back there at least one more time. By the way, I always eat the vanilla side first, then the chocolate. How about you?

On a side note, while my wife was here last weekend for a visit, we tried Dame's Chicken and Waffles in Durham - it was the bomb. We loved it. We also went to Roast Grill - good dogs since I like them burned, but the best part was watching mom and son interact behind the counter. Last, but not least, got cheeseburgers, onion rings and shakes at Mojoe's. Excellent.

We also hit up a few wineries out west. At one of them, Buck Shoals, we had their La Gloria ratafia mixed 50-50 with their Honey Moon mead (honey wine). Apparently this mixture happened once in the pipes between their tanks and the result was, well, awesome. They don't bottle it, you have to buy both the wines separately and mix it yourself. I can't really describe the taste adequately, except that say that it was the most delicious taste we had that day. Highly recommended.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:47 PM

4 pizzerias today in Chapel Hill.

Italian Pizzeria III - Excellent. 8.5 - at first, I was a little put off by the big edge crust, at least 2" with no sauce or cheese. However, when I started munching on it, it was very tasty. If they brushed a little garlic butter on it, it would be even better.

Franklin St. Pizza. Not bad. 7.5 - sauce was little strong and the slice was kinda small compared to everyone else for the same price more or less.

Artichoke Basil. Not bad. 8.0 - sauce was strong like Franklin St.'s, but the slice was considerably larger, so they get the extra .5 point.

Camos Brothers. OK. 7.0 - they told me they use low-gluten flour, which frankly flabbergasted me, since everything I know about pizza dough (and I know quite a bit) indicates high gluten flour is what's used. It's what I use for my pizzas I make at home (King Arthur brand). So, as I figured would happen, the dough didn't have the same chewiness one expects in a NY style pizza. That's a negative for me.

I may lay off pizza next weekend and go try some Eastern Carolina style BBQ instead. Not sure how it'll hold up to Texas BBQ, but we'll see.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:13 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,029,421 times
bg2ntst....
A) How in the world do you afford the constant eating out?
B) How are you not horribly overweight?
C) I'M SO JEALOUS lol! I get hungry every time I read your reviews on here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary