Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 03:55 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,101,747 times

Advertisements

Funny how I'm from NY (state), and I can't stomach thin floppy "New York" style pizza.

I love Lilly's and always have -- it's a thicker crust type of pizza. I am extremely grateful they have gluten-free pizza that doesn't have soy, since I'm allergic to both. (I believe Bella Monica may have gluten-free pizza, but it has soy.)

Lilly's as a destination also has a lot of character, too.

I think you'll be successful if you offer NY style, Lilly's style, Chicago style, and gluten-free, and you decorate the place so it's fun to go into and look around but doesn't look like you want only ex-NYCers there.

I wish someone would open a traditional family Italian restaurant where the owner welcomes you as if you are his long-lost cousin, the place is bubbling with activity, everyone is happy to be there, the food is delicious, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Sighhhh...... and they had rice pasta as an option!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 04:01 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I haven't eaten one of those chain pizza's since Vincent's opened the "little restaurant" over on Capitol Blvd....93' or 94' my guess? I enjoy trying new independent pizza places on a good recommendation just as I like checking out a new barbecue joint.
Yea, chain pizzerias vs independant is night and day....

Old 01-24-2011, 04:52 PM

323 posts, read 634,266 times
These comments are great. I am taking notes and hoping that my places up here sell soon so that I can get down there. Have been planning it for a while, and am looking forward to it!

Old 01-24-2011, 05:54 PM

272 posts, read 724,406 times
There is a place near me. Two Cousins Italian Pizza & Pasta. Pizza is really good as well as the pasta. Their medium is what most places call a large. It's about 20 miles out of Raleigh in Angier. They have a Tuesday special. Large 1 item for $8.99. That is where you'll find me every Tuesday...lol. Their large is what most places call an extra large. Good stuff. And get the garlic knots...

Old 01-24-2011, 07:26 PM

114 posts, read 247,046 times
I moved here 12 months ago from CT and have yet to find good pizza. I have found decent pizza, but not like you find in the tri-state area

Old 01-24-2011, 07:41 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,827,810 times
We have tons of "NY Style" pizza shops, I wanna try some of that New Haven-style Apizza I heard about on TV.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:38 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,586,211 times
Yeah there are pizza places all the over the place. Just try em all, find what you like and stick to it.

Home Grown (Holly Springs), good wings also, which is a hard combo in my opinion.
NY Pizza (Cary/Harrison Rd)
Randys (RTP, RT-54)

Wife also like Mellow Mushroom, but I haven't had enough to form an opinion either way.

NY doesn't have a corner on Pizza that's for sure. Now

Old 01-24-2011, 09:38 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Yeah there are pizza places all the over the place. Just try em all, find what you like and stick to it.

Home Grown (Holly Springs), good wings also, which is a hard combo in my opinion.
NY Pizza (Cary/Harrison Rd)
Randys (RTP, RT-54)

Wife also like Mellow Mushroom, but I haven't had enough to form an opinion either way.

NY doesn't have a corner on Pizza that's for sure. Now
IMO, they never did... I grew up in Carteret Nj and it was a 20 minute bus ride from NYC so I was there a lot. And there was definitely some good places for pizza but I always saw through the hype..

NJ, CT, and Chicago all had great pizza spots. All could go toe to toe with NYC.

Even Philly had there own pizza havens.. Taconellis makes one of the best pies ever.

Now, NC...... I had a couple good ones.. But nothing that slammed home.YET

But to be fair, I'm sure I will... Haven't been down here too long.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:57 AM

542 posts, read 1,525,157 times
Frank's Pizza off of New Bern Avenue is a diamond in the ruff. It has been there for 30 years, Frank can still be seen tossing the pizza dough at times, and those that know about Frank's swear by it. Vic's in City Market has great pizza too.

Mike

Old 01-25-2011, 09:35 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,101,747 times
Oh, and OP, don't call it a "pie." That's NY/NJ-speak.

Just pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary