Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 02:14 PM

159 posts, read 513,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
Having kids, IMO, makes this area a whole lot easier to love. Same with religion.
Is Raleigh/Durham as a whole pretty religious? Or is it just that you are religious and connected well with the congregants of your church?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 02:19 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
I'm actively job hunting on the west coast (San Francisco area). As soon as I find a job I'll relocate back there. My job hunt here hasn't been very successful. I've had job interviews, but nowhere near as many as I really need. There are some things I really like (Umstead Park & Eno River State Park). I've enjoyed going to events around the area. There are some great restaurants here too. However, I live up in the Brier Creek neighborhood and it feels a bit isolated. We haven't met a lot of 30-40 somethings without kids. Like others have said, we miss our friends and relatives on the west coast.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:34 PM

746 posts, read 2,248,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQHP40 View Post
Is Raleigh/Durham as a whole pretty religious? Or is it just that you are religious and connected well with the congregants of your church?
I am a recovering and reconnecting Catholic. That said, I think there's a reason the South is referred to as the "Bible Belt" and there's a reason the North East is referred to as the "Rust Belt."

The Churches here are very strong - lots of "small group" and "Bible study" and "Rosary Group" activity if you are into it. I am not, but have many friends and neighbors who are. I have had just about every religious group knock on my door and try to save my soul. (I have gotten clever about making them stop - Don't come any closer! I have leprosy!) Jesus Saves is more than just a slogan here. Church, Temple, place of worship - it forms an amazing support network when you find like-minded people with similar traditions (Christmas, Kwaanza, Rosh Hoshannah, etc.)

So, I think it's both. Anyone - correct me if I'm wrong ??

Old 01-31-2011, 03:00 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Quote:
I haven't seen any of it. The occasional flyer/brochure in the mailbox for a church, but that's about it. Church isn't a big deal among my friends and neighbors.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:04 PM

746 posts, read 2,248,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
Not every place is right fore everyone. <snip>
I have to write this ... if you are a GOLFER (fore everyone?) this area is the BOMB. My husband has been in heaven (or hell, depending on your perspective once kid #2 and kid #3 arrived) since we arrived here vis a vis golf!

Old 01-31-2011, 03:52 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,571 times
some people love it here and some don't. my wife definitely doesnt love the area like i do (she's adjusted well enough but keeps mentioning MA as "home"). i think i could move every couple years and love anywhere i go, but i have the travel bug. as far as i can see, this area is great... great weather, great affordability, great local/independent restaurants, a TON of local breweries, developing and vibrant DT... in TWO cities right here. beaches, mountains, W-S, G'boro, Charlotte as fun places nearby, not to mention DC, ATL, Asheville, Memphis, etc. I couldn't ask for a better total package, personally...

Old 01-31-2011, 04:00 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,571 times
Quote:
I am a recovering and reconnecting Catholic. That said, I think there's a reason the South is referred to as the "Bible Belt" and there's a reason the North East is referred to as the "Rust Belt."

The Churches here are very strong - lots of "small group" and "Bible study" and "Rosary Group" activity if you are into it. I am not, but have many friends and neighbors who are. I have had just about every religious group knock on my door and try to save my soul. (I have gotten clever about making them stop - Don't come any closer! I have leprosy!) Jesus Saves is more than just a slogan here. Church, Temple, place of worship - it forms an amazing support network when you find like-minded people with similar traditions (Christmas, Kwaanza, Rosh Hoshannah, etc.)

the rust belt is the northeastern midwest, if that makes any sense... i.e. michigan, indiana, ohio.... the northeast just is cold... ny, ne, nj, penn, etc.

i admit ive met more people who call themselves christian down here than NY/MA but i havent noticed it's a big deal. most of my company and friends here are atheist/agnostics. maybe a little less scorn for religion among them than up north, but thats fine. i see muslims praying in front of soldiers in egypt and am deeply moved. if christians here have that level of devotion then i bow to you. all religions are the same to an atheist, but the level of respect and tolerance is what is important, and there's a (surprisingly) high one here from my experience.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:12 PM

223 posts, read 577,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
i admit ive met more people who call themselves christian down here than NY/MA but i havent noticed it's a big deal. most of my company and friends here are atheist/agnostics. maybe a little less scorn for religion among them than up north, but thats fine. i see muslims praying in front of soldiers in egypt and am deeply moved. if christians here have that level of devotion then i bow to you. all religions are the same to an atheist, but the level of respect and tolerance is what is important, and there's a (surprisingly) high one here from my experience.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:25 PM

279 posts, read 702,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
Not every place is right fore everyone. My wife and I are moving in about a month. I will miss the surprise nice weather days like yesterday and some of the more understanding posters here, but that is about it.

The area never "clicked" with me. I can honestly say this has been the worst 3 years of my life.

If planning on moving here:

* spent more than a few days exploring the area before before deciding to
move here. (big adjustment if you are from a larger metopolitan area)

* Do "hands on research" about the cost of living and prevailant wages.
(Don't trust the online calculators)

*Don't believe that the area is 'recession proof'.

* Don't underestimated how hard it is going to be leaving family and friends and to make all new business contacts

I write this not to bash the area but give my opinion to people considering moving here.

I could not have said it better myself. We have another 15 months before we can sell our house. I do not regret moving here, because I never would have known if I had not tried. I will take some memories with me, but will go back as soon as I can.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:32 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
I completely agree. We realized we missed home because it's home and NC isn't not that NC is a horrible awful place to live. We were completely shocked when we got the opportunity to return 8 months after getting here. We had really planned to stay longer and at least enjoy the east coast and take lots of trips. On the other hand, we didn't want to pass up a better job and be able to move right back to our old neighborhood and school!

I guess my biggest complaint about the area is that having come from Texas and not a more expensive state, the cost of everything shocked me. I do wish I'd done more checking before we moved rather then believing the COL calculators. Otherwise, it's lovely and there are lots of things for a family to do. Oh, I also hate the medians everwhere that block you from entering/exiting a store from the road you are on thus causing you to execute fun U-turns. I'm not really sure why there hasn't been more of an outcry about those
This was the case for us too. Just took us MUCH longer to realize it. The funny thing is, now that we are home and have been for a few years, we can appreciate the triangle a lot more. It's really a lovely area. I don't want to live there anymore, but can more understand how it is a great fit for a lot of people.

The pics from that 60 degree weekend though, now they make it a little harder to not miss living there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary