Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 01:15 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
Interesting post, I too feel that way, much more than I would like to. I guess one always thinks the grass will be greener somewhere else, I guess for some that may be true.
We too moved here moved to this area little over 3 years, and there are days I asked myself what was I thinking? Though I transferred here with my job, thats about all I had. I figured we would make friends easily, the year prior to moving here we did go and check out the Charlotte area and assumed the Raleigh area would be similiar. Wrong..... don't get me wrong the area is nice, but I can't put my finger on what's missing, well maybe I can in one area, "its not a big town" having been born & raised in NYC and living in Ft. lauderdale area for almost 30 yrs. this is a HUGE change ! But like they say, "it is what it is" and I chose to move here guess I need to make the best of it until I figure out where I want to live my Social security years which is getting close, LoL.
Like the other post on this thread, please do your homework before making a move to here or I guess anywhere, it's definately a BIG DEAL especially if you are not happy after the move ! Good Luck my fellow mistakes !
to be fair, you do list your location as Willow Spring, which is how big exactly? not that Raleigh is a raging metropolis, but if you like big towns, why did you choose to live in the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 01:03 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,986 times
It's been said that southerners are polite, but not really friendly. I'd amend that to "not really friendly unless you're a southerner yourself." Sad, but I've seen it time after time.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:46 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,873,429 times
This is not aimed at the OP but at subsequent posters.

I am not sure if this has been said here as I haven't read all pages. Bear in mind when you move here that the majority of residents are from somewhere else - all over the US, Canada and many other countries. The NE US is heavily represented. True, Southern locals are the extreme minority and found more in certain areas (inside the beltline and older subdivisions, etc) and generally not in large #'s in the new subdivisions. So when one shares their experience of living here and not being shown Southern Hospitality...it all depends on where you live, who you know, etc.

I moved here in the 70's from overseas and was warmly welcomed, I was stunned at the kindness I was shown. Back then it was majority locals with small % of folks from NY state with IBM, and very few other places in the US and other countries represented. In the past 15 +/- yrs I have seen a huge change as this area has grown, in how folks interract, treat each other in public and on the roads. It has evolved to include habits and traits of folks from all over. It has lost lots of its Southerness. But the same can be said for many places and countries as moving for work is more common. Yes this area isn't for everyone just as DC, LA, etc aren't for everyone.

The best way I can describe Raleigh to someone thinking of moving here is that it's a safe, clean (except for our roads), nice place to live if you are looking for a laid back life in a baby city. I think of it more like a large, spread out town. It's a great place to raise a family as we have many options for outdoor and indoor recreation and many camps and things for kids to do. We have world class medical care, and our location is excellent for wknd trips the mtns/beach. And we have a highly educated population, as well as some of the best colleges and universities in the US.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:51 AM

159 posts, read 513,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
This is not aimed at the OP but at subsequent posters.

I am not sure if this has been said here as I haven't read all pages. Bear in mind when you move here that the majority of residents are from somewhere else - all over the US, Canada and many other countries. The NE US is heavily represented. True, Southern locals are the extreme minority and found more in certain areas (inside the beltline and older subdivisions, etc) and generally not in large #'s in the new subdivisions. So when one shares their experience of living here and not being shown Southern Hospitality...it all depends on where you live, who you know, etc.

I moved here in the 70's from overseas and was warmly welcomed, I was stunned at the kindness I was shown. Back then it was majority locals with small % of folks from NY state with IBM, and very few other places in the US and other countries represented. In the past 15 +/- yrs I have seen a huge change as this area has grown, in how folks interract, treat each other in public and on the roads. It has evolved to include habits and traits of folks from all over. It has lost lots of its Southerness. But the same can be said for many places and countries as moving for work is more common. Yes this area isn't for everyone just as DC, LA, etc aren't for everyone.

The best way I can describe Raleigh to someone thinking of moving here is that it's a safe, clean (except for our roads), nice place to live if you are looking for a laid back life in a baby city. I think of it more like a large, spread out town. It's a great place to raise a family as we have many options for outdoor and indoor recreation and many camps and things for kids to do. We have world class medical care, and our location is excellent for wknd trips the mtns/beach. And we have a highly educated population, as well as some of the best colleges and universities in the US.
Great post. I am living in Southern New Jersey (from So. Calif. originally) and coming down next month for a visit as I am considering a relocation. I'm really torn about where to go next in my life. You made Raleigh sound a lot like what I'm looking for!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:35 AM

Location: Raleigh, Rolesville, Cary, Garner, Clayton, Fuquay-Varina, Knightdale, Holly Spring, Apex, Durham
12 posts, read 27,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
Not every place is right fore everyone. My wife and I are moving in about a month. I will miss the surprise nice weather days like yesterday and some of the more understanding posters here, but that is about it.

The area never "clicked" with me. I can honestly say this has been the worst 3 years of my life.

If planning on moving here:

* spent more than a few days exploring the area before before deciding to
move here. (big adjustment if you are from a larger metopolitan area)

* Do "hands on research" about the cost of living and prevailant wages.
(Don't trust the online calculators)

*Don't believe that the area is 'recession proof'.

* Don't underestimated how hard it is going to be leaving family and friends and to make all new business contacts

I write this not to bash the area but give my opinion to people considering moving here.
Respectfully, please don't take this personally, but it sounds like you're bashing the area. I sincerely wish you and your family luck wherever you go. However, I disagree with your advice. I am not a native of the area. Actually, I was born in Jamaica... and no! Not Jamaica, Queens, but instead the little third-world island in the Caribbean. Living in Jamaica you learn to appreciate making the best out of any given situation. "Americans have it good." Once you grow up in poverty with very little, you learn to make it anywhere.
This area is REALLY not for everyone, which is why I LOVE it, its a like a little secret and I don't want to whole world knowing about it. I am in favor of growth, but look at what the quick growth has done to our schools and crime rate. Charlotte, NC may have been a better choice for you and your family, they have a lot to do and a very active way of life (and nightlife), but look at their school system and crime rate.
My family moved to Raleigh, NC when I was 14 years of age. I am now 35 and I love it here in Raleigh. Personally, the last 3 years from when you made your posting, were the best years of my life until the bubble broke. I am by no means wealthy nor do I have a wealthy job. However, despite everything, the Triangle has sustained better than most regions.

Now ask yourself this, "did I truly give it a good effort?" If so, how do you know you did? If you don't find the truth, you'll be saying the same thing about any area you move to. I don't know your personal situation of what were you looking for, but you make of it what you put in it. Question! BTW, hhy did you move to Raleigh? I admit, you came at a bad time and I am so sorry it didn't work out for you. Again, I don't know your full story, so I wish you the best of luck.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:09 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
True, Southern locals are the extreme minority
Not the "extreme minority" by any means! Approximately 50-50 in the area, though yes, less likely to be found the newer the subdivision is.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Not the "extreme minority" by any means! Approximately 50-50 in the area, though yes, less likely to be found the newer the subdivision is.
Yeah, you are right...I stand corrected ( it was 56% in 2000 and has gone down since then) I was thinking of Cary being mostly non natives. For others looking to move here I'd still say that in Raleigh natives are spread out, but certainly you see more concentrated in pockets in certain areas.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:51 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Yeah, you are right...I stand corrected ( it was 56% in 2000 and has gone down since then) I was thinking of Cary being mostly non natives. For others looking to move here I'd still say that in Raleigh natives are spread out, but certainly you see more concentrated in pockets in certain areas.
And don't forget that there are Southern transplants here, as well...not just New Yorkers!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
And don't forget that there are Southern transplants here, as well...not just New Yorkers!
Is that possible? Sounds like an oxymoron

Old 02-07-2011, 12:23 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQHP40 View Post
Great post. I am living in Southern New Jersey (from So. Calif. originally) and coming down next month for a visit as I am considering a relocation. I'm really torn about where to go next in my life. You made Raleigh sound a lot like what I'm looking for!
Right on. I moved here from Toms River about 7 years ago, and it's been the best decision my wife and I ever made. Seriously. Will you have the same experience and luck? Hopefully, but with something as life altering as a 500-mile relocation...you need to do some serious research and really weigh your options. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary