Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 07:23 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,565,274 times

Advertisements

Seems many, particularly northeasterners, think that Raleigh is some sort of "paradise" or "heaven" - "all we gotta do is move down there and we got it made and we will be happy everafter".
This is a rather naieve view. Raleigh is just another city, with it's good points and bad points, and it's not heaven - whether you're from NYC, Jersey, Mass, FL or CA. - - it's just another city. There are economic problems, the recession is here just like everywhere else. There is crime, there is misery, there is umemployment.
For me,. I moved here recently because it's where my job moved - so I am ok with the Raleigh area - it's not worlds away from where I lived before, the life here is pretty similar to where I have lived before, and the weather is slightly better, so it's all good - -- but to all you New Yorkers who think Raleigh is the promised land, all I can say, is, no, it's not - -get a grip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 PM

44 posts, read 97,639 times
I have to agree with the poster on many levels regarding the RDU area. While the area has started to grow on me- I can say that some people are not very friendly when it comes to them inviting other people into their "circle". I've made most of my friends through church & honestly if it was not for that I would have to say- I would not have met a lot of people. I say this, because I am a people person & love meeting ppl. of all walks of life, however, you have some people that are very closed off.

Before I moved to the RDU area, I heard all these great things and when I got here I was disappointed about some things. One in particular-is the division amongst some ethnic groups. It's diverse, but then it's like okay- you notice certain things & it just doesn't make sense- if you get my drift. It was marketed as a metropolitan area and it doesn't really have that "city" feel-In my opinion the RDU area caters more towards family living. So if you’re looking for family living with a city vibe, I would suggest larger metropolitan cities. Depending on where you relocate the cost of living may be about the same- give or take. While there things to do within the city- for a new comer you really have to search hard to find out the "hot spots".

As a young professional (25-35) I would say- It has its ups/downs, but I've found that if you can get in with people that went to school here or are in graduate school they tend to know a lot about events going on throughout the RDU/CH area.

Like I said before-I do not want to bash RDU, but I would have to say that the vibe of the city is hard to grasp. Being from Upstate, SC I would say- that I definitely did not feel the "Southern Hospitality" I expected. At first, I thought it was just me- until I talked with others who relocated from Savannah, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc. I'm guessing it's because RDU has people that relocated from various parts of the U.S. so they bring so many different ways of living.

So I would just urge anyone moving to this area to visit for at least a week or more before making a decision. Your either going to love it or hate it, but you'll never know until you try.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 02-15-2011, 04:12 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,995,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Seems many, particularly northeasterners, think that Raleigh is some sort of "paradise" or "heaven" - "all we gotta do is move down there and we got it made and we will be happy everafter".
This is a rather naieve view. Raleigh is just another city, with it's good points and bad points, and it's not heaven - whether you're from NYC, Jersey, Mass, FL or CA. - - it's just another city. There are economic problems, the recession is here just like everywhere else. There is crime, there is misery, there is umemployment.
For me,. I moved here recently because it's where my job moved - so I am ok with the Raleigh area - it's not worlds away from where I lived before, the life here is pretty similar to where I have lived before, and the weather is slightly better, so it's all good - -- but to all you New Yorkers who think Raleigh is the promised land, all I can say, is, no, it's not - -get a grip.
I disagree - it seems to me that "northeasterners", and especially New Yorkers, are the ones that tend to fit in best and be happiest here. I mainly see complaints by people from Texas, West Coast, and the midwest.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:12 AM

279 posts, read 703,014 times
I am from Maine and hate it here. My house will be put up for sale in March of 2012 (this is the soonest I can leave due to first time home buyer credit).

Old 02-15-2011, 05:40 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMaine2012 View Post
I am from Maine and hate it here. My house will be put up for sale in March of 2012 (this is the soonest I can leave due to first time home buyer credit).
I have a friend who lives in Maine, has lived there his whole life and HATES Maine.

Takes all kinds.

He loves visiting here, though.

My peeve with transplants is that they refer to the area is Raleigh-Durham or RDU. That's an airport. Not a city.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:54 AM

279 posts, read 703,014 times
I guess it depends where in Maine you live. I was 15 minutes to the ocean and 1 hour to the mountains. Its gorgeous there.

LOL about RDU.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:41 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,995,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I have a friend who lives in Maine, has lived there his whole life and HATES Maine.

Takes all kinds.

He loves visiting here, though.

My peeve with transplants is that they refer to the area is Raleigh-Durham or RDU. That's an airport. Not a city.

I think Raleigh-Durham works well, like you might say Minneapolis-St Paul or Dallas-Fort Worth.

As for RDU, in this age of TLAs, I think it is a good abbreviation for this area. "The Triangle" sounds so hokie. Just like you might abbreviate St Louis to STL, or San Francisco to SFO - even though they are airport codes, they work well as city abbreviations as well. Many businesses and organizations use RDU in their name, even if they have nothing to do with the airport! (I know the local pedants hate it.)

Am I far enough off-topic yet?

Old 02-15-2011, 06:44 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,081,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I disagree - it seems to me that "northeasterners", and especially New Yorkers, are the ones that tend to fit in best and be happiest here. I mainly see complaints by people from Texas, West Coast, and the midwest.
and Europeans

Old 02-15-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMaine2012 View Post
I guess it depends where in Maine you live. I was 15 minutes to the ocean and 1 hour to the mountains. Its gorgeous there.

LOL about RDU.

Yeah... he lives near Portland. He says he gorgeous up there. (imagine the accent when he says "gorgeous".... it's great).

He just hates cold weather. I think he'll move to the desert or something one day.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I think Raleigh-Durham works well, like you might say Minneapolis-St Paul or Dallas-Fort Worth.

As for RDU, in this age of TLAs, I think it is a good abbreviation for this area. "The Triangle" sounds so hokie. Just like you might abbreviate St Louis to STL, or San Francisco to SFO - even though they are airport codes, they work well as city abbreviations as well. Many businesses and organizations use RDU in their name, even if they have nothing to do with the airport! (I know the local pedants hate it.)

Am I far enough off-topic yet?
Well, I do think it's fine to call it the RDU area... same with Minneapolis-St. Paul. I'd never call that place "Minneapolis-St. Paul" in speaking of it, but I may say "The Minneapolis-St. Paul area."

I think that slamming together two cities into one name diminishes the fact that they're really separate cities. I'm fine with calling the airport RDU... or even people calling this the RDU area. But, to say you're going to Raleigh-Durham sounds like it's a single, unique destination... and it's not.

Winston-Salem? yeah... that's one place. Wasn't always, was it?

This is one of those "locals" things... I know people from California who loathe the tourists calling the place "Cali"

Know what has surprised me lately? Morrisville has a habit of referring to this as the Cary-Morrisville area... What's up with that? I can only figure that they sell retail and business property based on Cary demographics, so they need to pull "Cary" into the description of the area.

They did that with ParkWest Village. You can see it right there on their web site.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary