Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2011, 12:28 PM

23 posts, read 35,917 times

Advertisements

I agree I normally dont bash a place however I noticed a different attitude than what I was used to when I worked as an electrician in so Cal. I see alot of people just walking around not much happening, I get approached for rides, jump starts cigarettes you name it but then I live in Durham so may bad...I do have a few friends at the gym who seem cool but they say the same thing that its easy to get stuck here if you havent sank your teeth into anything and it doesnt get any better with time.....patients gets you nowhere here but stuck so It very well could be Im in a place thats not a good fit for me...at the same time I have a family and am recovering from menegitis so life has def changed for me........anyway thanx for the comments. dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 01:14 PM

84 posts, read 142,901 times
Wife and I are moving to the area in a month. We have visited the place twice and really like the area. I work from home for a nation-wide company and am somewhat insulated from surrounding recession areas. Yet, I recognize how difficult the recession has been for all. We are leaving las vegas (sorry, had to use that phrase), and we are excited to get back to the East coast. The Las Vegas area has been one of the hardest hit and we are happy to be moving to a more laid back community...Raleigh. Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:34 AM

146 posts, read 332,375 times
I think the reason people complain about an area isn't because they dont' do the research. It's because they're the type of person that doesn't adjust well to change.

plain & simple.

If you were the type of person that can make the best of anywhere you are. That means you're willing to be patient for things to blossom, for those connections to be made, for you to know the best places for,...., for you to even give your body enough time to adjust. But if you're a person that likes having things handed to you and then you choose from it to make the best of things then that's why you wouldn't like NC, the south, or anywhere else.

I hated moving to ATL for the first 3 years I lived there. I always compared it to my home state of NY and it always fell short. But by the 4th year there (onto the 15th), I made those connections, I knew people, I knew the places. Though my NY cousins hated ATL because it was "slow" my FLA cousins loved it (because it's a different type of living).

Basically I'm 28 years old. I've lived in Georgia for 15 years. Born/raised in NY for 12 years and during every school vacation I would go down to Ft. Laurderdale to stay with my cousins. So while I was growing up in NY I was being groomed in the ways of "Southern living". So to me, I've always loved the south. That's why I can't speak bad about ANY STATE down south because once you move down south. You will learn the number one rule of southern living.. PATIENTS! This is why so many northern people say "It's to slow down south". "I don't like such state because it's to slow". Those are the same type of people that don't have the balls to move to Miami, because they want to live somewhere that's got the same pace of living as NY but cheaper living. The only place that I've seen/know of that's like NY but hotter and slightly cheaper,...is Miami.

I honestly have very few words to say about my home state. But to anyone that has not lived in a crowed, roach infested, cold weather 75% of the year, always being charged money for something, always somebody trying to hustle you out of your money, having to deal with politicians that want to keep there foot on your throat, over priced housing state like NY you wouldn't understand why there's such a great divide between those northerners that like the south and those that hate it.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:09 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,169,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takealready View Post
You will learn the number one rule of southern living.. PATIENTS!
Hey, we're not all sick down here. You mean PATIENCE?

Old 05-23-2011, 01:23 PM

146 posts, read 332,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Hey, we're not all sick down here. You mean PATIENCE?
ROFL ...finally somebody got it. I did that on purpose,..I was starting to feel that everybody was skipping what the NY'er had to say

Old 03-09-2012, 06:07 AM

2,622 posts, read 3,152,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negtive View Post
Dallas.....home
If Dallas was so good, why did you leave? Or did it take leaving to realize what you had there?

Old 03-09-2012, 07:40 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,624 times
i like the area (esp chapel hill), but i agree that jobs-wise its not all its cracked up to be. i looked off an on in 2009-2010 with a local address and never found anything in my field. as soon as i targeted a different area i found a job easily.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:00 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
If Dallas was so good, why did you leave? Or did it take leaving to realize what you had there?
This thread is from early 2011.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:59 AM

323 posts, read 634,314 times
Yes, this thread is from early 2011. But I still meet people who are leaving. This area has all the ingredients for a happy life, but missing some spice! Reminds me of "Normal Spongebob", if anyone has kids that watch, they'll know what I mean! Conversational skills are lacking.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:15 AM

25 posts, read 75,340 times
sorry it didn't work out for you. I'd agree though that anyone coming from a big city would have a hard time adjusting to the area. Our version of a "big city" is raleigh and thats like what 7 blocks long. Its nothing compared to NYC which I'm used to. I don't like cities so the triangle was a perfect fit for me. Enough things to do without being trapped to live in a big bustling city.

No area in the country is recession proof. Anyone can lose their job anywhere in the world.

And yes always always do your research and most importantly never buy a house in an area you are completely unfamiliar with. Always rent first so you aren't tied to an area you don't like.

Good advice for everyone looking to move anywhere. I moved here from NJ and I was sick of the cramped feeling of the city so I love that I feel like I can breath down here. Most people think i'm crazy that i wanted to get as far away from downtown as possible. so to each his own... Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary