Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 11:42 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
That being said, happiness is found in your heart, not in your location. If you can appreciate an area for what it IS and not what you think it SHOULD be, you'll be happier no matter where you end up.
I think I'll have to borrow this line. Every summer I help out people getting ready to move overseas and I think this is a really important thing for them to keep in mind. When I was living overseas I would see time and time again where people would constantly complain about how it wasn't America. Well no duh! I think two things that are key to being happy wherever you move is 1) being adaptable and flexible and 2) how important is being close to your family? For some people, like myself, I don't really feel a need to be close physically to my family. For others, even a day without seeing their parents is torture. For those in the latter group I think they will be unhappy no matter where they move if it isn't close to family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 08:11 PM

2,622 posts, read 3,152,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
This thread is from early 2011.
Dumb me! I'm bad for missing dates sometimes. I have to pay more attention to that.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:10 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,840,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Dumb me! I'm bad for missing dates sometimes. I have to pay more attention to that.
Not to worry -- we officially LOVE old threads!

Attached Thumbnails
We're leaving: goodbye Raleigh (advice to prospective relocators)-oldthreadannouncement.jpg  

Old 03-14-2012, 09:19 AM

323 posts, read 634,314 times
It has nothing to do with "bloom where you're planted", etc... This is one aspect of the area, especially Cary, that bugs me. There is an overwhelming feeling of.....be like everyone else and just be happy! Stepford wives, anyone?!?

Everything is group related, hard to be an individual. And yes, I did my research but sometimes you can't really tell what an area is like until you move.

Can't people just have an opinion? I wish everyone would stop saying the same things over and over on this site. There's that "group think" again! "Bloom where you're planted" "Do your research." You can't "bloom" if there are not nutrients!

Bust out, people, and be an individual.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:34 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,985 times
Nobody is saying you have to think and act like everyone else. With such a wide breadth of groups and activities here I think it's pretty impossible to say that everyone is running around doing the same thing in this area

Old 03-14-2012, 01:58 PM

247 posts, read 452,534 times
I think the "bloom where you're planted" line, at least in my opinion, is less about doing things the same as others and more about focusing on the positives and letting go the negatives, and if you can't do that reevaluate your situation.

And if Cary is an issue, why not branch out further? I don't know if it's simply because I'm in no man's land Johnston County, where my town is in name only because of the post office, but we are doing many different things in many different areas. My kids go to school in Smithfield, play soccer in Knightdale, our doctors are in Clayton, Wilson is on our lists of places we do errands in quite a bit. It's such a large area with tons of activities, it's hard for me to wrap my mind around this not being a wonderful place!

Old 03-14-2012, 08:37 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,295,927 times
Sometimes these threads make me think everybody on city-data is a cranky old fart. I think it is high time people stop posting on the internet looking for validation.

Life is too short people.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:48 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Sometimes these threads make me think everybody on city-data is a cranky old fart. I think it is high time people stop posting on the internet looking for validation.

Life is too short people.
Well, Mr. CrankyPants....
(I got that one over in the CD Real Estate mosh pit. )
Speak for yourself!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:21 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat456 View Post
It has nothing to do with "bloom where you're planted", etc... This is one aspect of the area, especially Cary, that bugs me. There is an overwhelming feeling of.....be like everyone else and just be happy! Stepford wives, anyone?!?

Everything is group related, hard to be an individual. And yes, I did my research but sometimes you can't really tell what an area is like until you move.

Can't people just have an opinion? I wish everyone would stop saying the same things over and over on this site. There's that "group think" again! "Bloom where you're planted" "Do your research." You can't "bloom" if there are not nutrients!

Bust out, people, and be an individual.
When you post feelings about not being happy and blame it on the area that you live, what would you like folks to say?

Would you prefer people sympathize with you? Would you prefer they offer suggestions on what you can do to make your life happier?

I'm not being sarcastic. However, many of us don't believe it is the area that makes someone unhappy. THE AREA ISN'T GOING TO CHANGE. So, either the unhappy person has to change or the person has to change his area.

Vicki

Old 03-15-2012, 05:22 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
When you post feelings about not being happy and blame it on the area that you live, what would you like folks to say?

Would you prefer people sympathize with you? Would you prefer they offer suggestions on what you can do to make your life happier?

I'm not being sarcastic. However, many of us don't believe it is the area that makes someone unhappy. THE AREA ISN'T GOING TO CHANGE. So, either the unhappy person has to change or the person has to change his area.

Vicki
Yep. I absolutely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary