Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 07:08 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
and Europeans
Don't they hate all the places here, randomly?

(sweeping generalization, as I know plenty of Europeans who love it here)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 07:19 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,169,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyGurl08 View Post
It was marketed as a metropolitan area and it doesn't really have that "city" feel-
Really? By whom? Nobody who lives here would call this "metropolitan," in the sense that NYC or Chicago or Dallas are metro.

Quote:
Being from Upstate, SC I would say- that I definitely did not feel the "Southern Hospitality" I expected. <snip>I'm guessing it's because RDU has people that relocated from various parts of the U.S. so they bring so many different ways of living.
Exactly. There aren't that many Southerners here! Lots and lots of northerners here.

Quote:
So I would just urge anyone moving to this area to visit for at least a week or more before making a decision.
Good advice. It continues to astound me that there are people who completely change their lives to move here after visiting a couple of days. That's just asking for misery.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:51 AM

44 posts, read 97,639 times
@ skaternum-
Well actually I consulted with the nice folks from the Raleigh/Durham area on city data. They all advised that this was a great area & all the rave- la dee da! Briercreek, Glenwood South, Downtown... It's really has a metropolitan feel!?

In addition, I have visited several areas throughout the U.S. including the Northeast & people in this area in my opinion are just somewhat snobbish/rude. I have found that people in NYC, Philly, Pittsburg, DC, & VA are a bit more down to earth than some people in this area. It's no excuse, because all those are major cities that have people who relocate from everywhere in the U.S. & Abroad.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:53 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,173,593 times
Quote:
@ skaternum-
Well actually I consulted with the nice folks from the Raleigh/Durham area on city data. They all advised that this was a great area & all the rave- la dee da! Briercreek, Glenwood South, Downtown... It's really has a metropolitan feel!?

In addition, I have visited several areas throughout the U.S. including the Northeast & people in this area in my opinion are just somewhat snobbish/rude. I have found that people in NYC, Philly, Pittsburg, DC, & VA are a bit more down to earth than some people in this area. It's no excuse, because all those are major cities that have people who relocate from everywhere in the U.S. & Abroad.
After having lived in Manhattan, Los Angeles, and New Orleans, Raleigh is a nice place but nowhere near the others for street life.

Really miss good public transit.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:04 PM

18 posts, read 33,653 times
Quote:
In addition, I have visited several areas throughout the U.S. including the Northeast & people in this area in my opinion are just somewhat snobbish/rude. I have found that people in NYC, Philly, Pittsburg, DC, & VA are a bit more down to earth than some people in this area.
I guess only the not "so-down-to earth" folks from these areas moved here, including myself!

Why did you move here based on anonymous opinions? Don't blame others for your apparent lack of research!

Old 02-15-2011, 09:26 PM

28 posts, read 64,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
TXJoy, sounds like we're living parallel lives. The only difference is that we've been here nearly 5 years. The Triangle has truly become our home & we enjoy so much about living here. I'm not looking forward to starting all over again ... especially since all of our options are in places that are more expensive and have worse weather!
I completely understand! My husband jokes that one of the things on my personal bucket list is to see the 50 states. I tell him, visiting is one thing, living in all 50 is not exactly the same. Plus as I get older the idea of living where cold months last longer than warm or comfortable ones does not appeal! And there are so many things I still haven't gotten to do or see right here in NC yet.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:09 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,722,377 times
from SOCAL and we love it here..

Old 02-16-2011, 10:36 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,062,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Good advice. It continues to astound me that there are people who completely change their lives to move here after visiting a couple of days. That's just asking for misery.

This brings up an important issue that has been plaguing me. The simple truth is that sometimes people CAN'T spend more than a couple of days in a city before moving there.

My husband was laid off twice in 2010 - each time by companies here in the Triangle. His career is in a fairly specialized field. He cannot get a job in any ol' city. Availability is limited, so he has to go wherever a job can be found. The jobs available for him on the market now are ALL in cities we've never visited before: Boston, Chicago, Baltimore, Austin, Los Angeles, etc. etc. etc. Heck, one of the companies that has voiced interest in him is in Finland! How do you deal with that?!

My husband is unemployed now. He needs a job now. We don't have the time or resources to spend a month in EVERY city where he might possibly be offered a job. And if a company offers him a job, it's highly unlikely that they'll be willing to wait a month for us to make up our minds. I am certain this situation is not unique to me and my husband - especially in this economy.

So please - for all of our sakes - refrain from judging those of us who cannot spend time visiting an area before moving there. We're doing the best we can with the resources we have - and those resources include magazine articles and the opinions expressed on City Data.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:54 AM

746 posts, read 2,248,580 times
Quote:
This brings up an important issue that has been plaguing me. The simple truth is that sometimes people CAN'T spend more than a couple of days in a city before moving there.

My husband was laid off twice in 2010 - each time by companies here in the Triangle. His career is in a fairly specialized field. He cannot get a job in any ol' city. Availability is limited, so he has to go wherever a job can be found. The jobs available for him on the market now are ALL in cities we've never visited before: Boston, Chicago, Baltimore, Austin, Los Angeles, etc. etc. etc. Heck, one of the companies that has voiced interest in him is in Finland! How do you deal with that?!

My husband is unemployed now. He needs a job now. We don't have the time or resources to spend a month in EVERY city where he might possibly be offered a job. And if a company offers him a job, it's highly unlikely that they'll be willing to wait a month for us to make up our minds. I am certain this situation is not unique to me and my husband - especially in this economy.

So please - for all of our sakes - refrain from judging those of us who cannot spend time visiting an area before moving there. We're doing the best we can with the resources we have - and those resources include magazine articles and the opinions expressed on City Data.
We have followed my husbands career - bringing us to different areas of the country. (We followed my career before marriage and kids) We are amidst our move for a better life (hubs won't have to travel, really important to us.) We don't have any family here, and won't have family where we are going either. So, the "bloom where you are planted" comment I made a zillion posts again really comes from the heart and first-hand experience.

In my experience, people who are happy on the inside will make the best of their surroundings. I wish you well finding work - hopefully here - or where you have friends / family nearby. Ultimately it will boil down to you deciding what's important to your family and making it work no matter where you are.

I wish you well. It's tough out there right now, regardless of your hubby's field.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:47 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,169,355 times
Quote:
This brings up an important issue that has been plaguing me. The simple truth is that sometimes people CAN'T spend more than a couple of days in a city before moving there. <snip>

Okay, but only if you guys (the collective "you") promise not to post here expressing surprise and shock that this area turned out not to be what you thought it was. That's really what we're trying to say. If you don't for whatever reason find out what it's really like BEFORE you move here, stop whining about it. Suck it up and try to make the best of it. "Bloom where you are planted."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary