Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:45 AM

308 posts, read 680,479 times

Advertisements

Vicki, I'm so sorry about the loss of your daddy. : ( Please accept my deepest sympathies. Cathy and I havent given up on our dream of moving to NC. We may be in the area in May or June at the conclusion of my temporary assignment.

I know it is difficult and costly to move back home, but life is short. (I say this because my daddy passed away a month ago and I understand this even more).

Vicki[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 03:08 PM

86 posts, read 230,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I agree with you, to a point. However, bashing the area isn't going to get you sympathy.

I DO feel sad for anyone that is homesick. My mom moved to NC from NY and was homesick for YEARS! I remember hearing about it ALL THE TIME!

She moved to FL and lived there for 15 years and then got tired of that and moved back to NC. Now, all the kids and grandkids are here and she loves it.

What changed? Not the area!

So, I can understand someone not being happy, living here. I feel for that person. However, I doubt that person will get much sympathy by bashing the area.

I know it is difficult and costly to move back home, but life is short. (I say this because my daddy passed away a month ago and I understand this even more). If you are that unhappy living here and you are homesick, do what you have to do to move back home. You gave this a try and it didn't work out...for you. But it isn't the area, it IS you. Maybe the sooner you realize that, the sooner you can "fix" that.

Best of luck to you.

Vicki

Well put and I agree. And some ppl do get homesick and sometimes where you relocate to just was not for you and there is nothing wrong with that.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:52 PM

52 posts, read 89,920 times
Default Newly Retired

Many years ago my husband, children and I moved to Florida. I hated it every waking moment and made my husband absolutely miserable until he took me back home to NY.

We now have a home in Wake Forest and I am newly retired. I realize that the issue with Florida was me, not the state.

Unless you really work at making it work and getting involved in your community it just does not happen. I was very very home sick... We have a very small condo in NY and our primary residence in NC. I am really going to try to make it work in NC, search out what is to see everywhere and get involved this time. I want to embrace NC and not want to change anything.

But, I won't let go of my little place in NY, I just need to hold on to her NY hand until I feel safe...... silly isn't it?

Old 03-24-2012, 08:57 AM

596 posts, read 1,240,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
Not every place is right fore everyone. My wife and I are moving in about a month. I will miss the surprise nice weather days like yesterday and some of the more understanding posters here, but that is about it.

The area never "clicked" with me. I can honestly say this has been the worst 3 years of my life.

If planning on moving here:

* spent more than a few days exploring the area before before deciding to
move here. (big adjustment if you are from a larger metopolitan area)

* Do "hands on research" about the cost of living and prevailant wages.
(Don't trust the online calculators)

*Don't believe that the area is 'recession proof'.

* Don't underestimated how hard it is going to be leaving family and friends and to make all new business contacts

I write this not to bash the area but give my opinion to people considering moving here.
I could't agree with you more ! If I can only figure out where to move back to, after living in Ft. Lauderdale almost 30 yrs. and being born and raised in NYC ????

Old 03-24-2012, 09:00 AM

596 posts, read 1,240,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeden View Post
Many years ago my husband, children and I moved to Florida. I hated it every waking moment and made my husband absolutely miserable until he took me back home to NY.

We now have a home in Wake Forest and I am newly retired. I realize that the issue with Florida was me, not the state.

Unless you really work at making it work and getting involved in your community it just does not happen. I was very very home sick... We have a very small condo in NY and our primary residence in NC. I am really going to try to make it work in NC, search out what is to see everywhere and get involved this time. I want to embrace NC and not want to change anything.

But, I won't let go of my little place in NY, I just need to hold on to her NY hand until I feel safe...... silly isn't it?
No, not silly at all, NY will always be home to me, no matter how it's changed "There is no place like home" even if it's only in one's heart !

Old 03-24-2012, 12:44 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,988,607 times
We are leaving to as soon as the kids track out again.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:22 AM

323 posts, read 634,314 times
I don't mean to be bashing! But to say I shouldn't come on the boards because I have something negative to say is just silly, and a bit questionable coming from a realtor.

The whole triangle is lovely, and I really like it for my family. It is a quality place to live. I have friends, I get out, my children are involved, (one happy, one not).

BUT, there is nothing wrong with me because I have some issues with the place. Stop trying to twist it back onto people that are not happy.

Thank you.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-08-2012 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:24 AM

Oh, and I still love Florida, but it can be a challenging place to raise young children. But I'm still looking!

Old 03-25-2012, 11:08 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat456 View Post
I don't mean to be bashing! But to say I shouldn't come on the boards because I have something negative to say is just silly, and a bit questionable coming from a realtor.

The whole triangle is lovely, and I really like it for my family. It is a quality place to live. I have friends, I get out, my children are involved, (one happy, one not).

BUT, there is nothing wrong with me because I have some issues with the place. Stop trying to twist it back onto people that are not happy.

Thank you.
I don't recall EVER saying that you shouldn't come on the boards. What I DID say was that I was sorry you were so unhappy. But...and I'll say it again...bashing the area that others live in isn't going to get you any new friends! And I don't get what that has to do with being a Realtor.

Actually, since this is where I've lived since I was 3 years old and it suits me and many others just fine, I have come to the conclusion that folks that think the AREA is the reason for their unhappiness, won't be happy anywhere.

Perhaps since you misunderstand what I had written, you are misunderstanding others and that is why you are having issues getting along here.

Vicki

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-08-2012 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 03-25-2012, 11:26 AM

I am not unhappy because I have issues with the area! I am actually a very happy person, always have been. No sympathy needed. And I have friends, so please stop talking to me like a loser.

You don't think you have an interest in cheerleading for this place, being a realtor?

Again, I don't have "issues" getting along here.

You are bashing me in response to my comments on the area. This is pretty immature, actually. Many others are able to be objective in their opinions of an area irregardless of their situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary