Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:35 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
When you post feelings about not being happy and blame it on the area that you live, what would you like folks to say?

Would you prefer people sympathize with you? Would you prefer they offer suggestions on what you can do to make your life happier?

I'm not being sarcastic. However, many of us don't believe it is the area that makes someone unhappy. THE AREA ISN'T GOING TO CHANGE. So, either the unhappy person has to change or the person has to change his area.

Vicki
Yes, I agree. I wonder where he moved here from. Cary is a suburb. Most suburbs are like this. That's why people live in them. You aren't going to find blue-mohawk-haired, pierced-up-the-wazoo Brooklyn style hipsters wandering the mean streets of Cary, or any other American suburb for that matter. I really don't think it's that different from most places in that regard. And all we ever hear is how transplants are taking over Cary (or already have) so how hard can it be to find a kindred soul?

I really don't get what some people expect when they move here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:13 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,995,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat456 View Post
It has nothing to do with "bloom where you're planted", etc... This is one aspect of the area, especially Cary, that bugs me. There is an overwhelming feeling of.....be like everyone else and just be happy! Stepford wives, anyone?!?

Everything is group related, hard to be an individual. And yes, I did my research but sometimes you can't really tell what an area is like until you move.

Can't people just have an opinion? I wish everyone would stop saying the same things over and over on this site. There's that "group think" again! "Bloom where you're planted" "Do your research." You can't "bloom" if there are not nutrients!

Bust out, people, and be an individual.
But Cary is known for that. If you did your research, then why did you move to Cary when so many other Triangle towns have more "flavor"?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:21 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times
Of the three people/couples that I know who left Raleigh because it "wasn't the place for me", all returned after a few years away with a new appreciation for what they thought they didn't like. Now, this may just be coincidence but I do find it interesting.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:15 PM

323 posts, read 634,314 times
Ok, same people, same comments.

This totally just proved my point.

Keep drinking the kool-aid.

I mean this in the nicest way possible.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:40 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
However, many of us don't believe it is the area that makes someone unhappy. THE AREA ISN'T GOING TO CHANGE. So, either the unhappy person has to change or the person has to change his area.
I guess there are still people who move to an area and think the area will change solely to accomodate how they want things to be, in much the same way that people still marry someone thinking they will change/"rescue" their spouse. I don't recommend either--marry someone who's right for you to begin with, and ditto with moving.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Ok, same people, same comments
Same hat456, same comments, too...

My biggest wonder is why you keep posting things like THIS, when clearly you've already made your mind up not only about the area, but about the thread! OK, so you disagree with what's being said in this thread...so why do you keep coming back to it? I'm one of those here who does NOT believe everybody (or all the "regulars" on this board all think alike, but it's also pretty obvious that posting "I disagree" over and over in any thread, anywhere, is not going to change anything being said by anyone else.

You disagree with most of the posts in this thread, we get it. What now?

Quote:
This totally just proved my point.

Keep drinking the kool-aid.
You don't seem to realize that most people who don't like the area just move away, so they aren't around to be here to be a "kindred spirit" with you. Of course you're going to find that most of the people living here (or 'most anywhere) like being here, because if they didn't, they'd be gone. "Survival of the fittest" or, where choice is involved, "survival of the happiest". It's like if you join a sports league and don't like it--you don't start a crusade accusing all of those in the league (who have chosen to stay, instead of quit) of "drinking the Kool-Aid". They are there because they want to be. The ones who didn't, aren't.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:57 PM

323 posts, read 634,314 times
This is again proving my point. "Leave or shut up" if you have a problem. Very "Bush" of you!

The spirit of debate and discussion is dead here. Just behave and march!

And, by the way, not looking to be "saved" or "rescued". My whole troop is just fine and dandy. My issues with the area, (and there ARE plenty of things I like about it) do not affect my SELF. Everyone should stop psycho-analyzing me, or anyone that has issues with this place, and then perhaps we will be able to have an open debate about making this nice place a bit more interesting?? Because the people I talk to almost all think its NICE but a bit DULL.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
This is again proving my point. "Leave or shut up" if you have a problem.
I'm just saying what most people do. I know if I am somewhere and I don't like it...I leave. I don't stay there and complain and complain and complain because I expect THEM to change themselves for ME. Maybe I don't have as grandiose a sense of my own importance as someone who would do that; if somewhere's not right for me, I leave and look for somewhere that IS.

Quote:
The spirit of debate and discussion is dead here.
I just can't figure out precisely what it is you are trying to "accomplish" by posting the same thing over and over an a board like City-Data which is read by a very small number of people. Wouldn't wrriting letters to the editor, attending HOA, city council and county commissioner meetings, and writing your legislators be more effective?

Quote:
then perhaps we will be able to have an open debate about making this nice place a bit more interesting?? Because the people I talk to almost all think its NICE but a bit DULL.
So, how, specifically, do you except to "make it more interesting' by complaining on City-Data? Again, see previous section for more efficient ways.

BTW, I actually thought you had already left the area in disgust because your Location says "CT". Maybe that is part of the reason people are confused about your POV.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:07 PM

754 posts, read 1,693,933 times
hat456, how would you improve the area? Seems like you have something in mind. A list or tangible ideas might provide a starting point for a more fruitful discussion. Dunno.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:51 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,995,450 times
Quote:
This is again proving my point. "Leave or shut up" if you have a problem. Very "Bush" of you!

The spirit of debate and discussion is dead here. Just behave and march!
Everybody who disagrees with hat is "drinking the kool-aid". How very Tea Party of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary