Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 03:09 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,646,578 times

Advertisements

I was still in my 20s when I met my (now) husband, but he was in his early 30s at the time. We lived in a city where it truly was difficult to meet "quality" people, whether for a possible relationship or even just as friends. We met because we were each looking for a roommate. I posted an ad on a web bulletin board, detailing exactly what I wanted in a roommate, which happens to be similar to the basic minimum qualities I would want in a mate as well.

He answered the ad; we met to look at an apartment. He told me he couldn't be my roommate because of the attraction. He ended up rooming with another female; I lived with someone else. We dated for three years, then moved up here and finally became roommates. The rest is history.

We have friends locally who met on eHarmony two years ago. They have been married for a year now.

We also have several friends who are experiencing the same thing the OP is, both males and females. I think some of them are overly picky or have unrealistic expectations. They are all very social and do all the things everyone says to do in order to meet people. Sadly, something I see often is a person being unwilling to overlook faults in potential dates, but being unwilling to address his/her own weaknesses.

One thing is for sure, I feel very lucky to have a wonderful husband and not have to be on the dating scene!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 03:49 PM

121 posts, read 353,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
DC?! I'm all for venturing out, but 250 miles is pushing it...
if you met someone that WOW'd you..and you know that feeling I'm talking about...You would make it work. 250miles is doable. Funny how love and lust will make you do things you say you'd never do. Hey, it beats having to lower your standards and just settle for the next best thing. I once met a guy in a hotel bar (we were both staying at the same place) he lived in Manhattan and I was in DC. I had free flt. benefits so I flew up to see him for a date. We had a blast but he end up moving to LA soon after we met, now that's too far, and besides we just met.... we have since remained friends now for over 5yrs...

Old 07-25-2011, 06:38 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_widget View Post
I'm not hitting on you ... but if you are male, single, 30's-40's...where do you spend your free time and hang out with friends?

I've mentioned before in posts, I've only been in the area for a few months but all of the new (single) girlfriends I've made since moving here say they have had trouble finding quality single men their age (30's-40's).

Being new the area I don't know what to tell them...so I'm wondering...where are they?
Where do the fellers hang out? Apparently, it isn't in North Carolina...
What's happening to all of North Carolina's men? - Local/State - NewsObserver.com

Wait until y'all hit 90. The fellers who are still around are in high cotton.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:38 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,934,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Wait until y'all hit 90. The fellers who are still around are in high cotton.
Imagine being one of the few men at 90 in good health in one of those assisted living joints....all the old chicks hitting on you

Old 07-25-2011, 09:55 AM

487 posts, read 891,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Imagine being one of the few men at 90 in good health in one of those assisted living joints....all the old chicks hitting on you
You're joking but apparently this does happen with old people. The few remaining men become quite the prize.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:58 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,924,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
You're joking but apparently this does happen with old people. The few remaining men become quite the prize.
'tis true. My grandfather survived my grandmother by a couple of years and in his assisted living facility, he had a lot of "girlfriends" who were awfully smiley at him...

Old 07-25-2011, 11:15 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Quote:
For other women, the most important definition of "quality" would be a man who is an extrovert, so she should go to Durham Bulls baseball games or Hurricanes hockey games.
This is news to me that you have to be an extravert to go to a sports event!

And I see Mike beat me to posting the article from today's N&O. I instantly thought of this thread when I saw it, of course.

RE: the phenomenon of single men being a "prize" in senior communities, my dad, who was living in such a place, summed it up once as "_____'s wife died last month, and the widows are already circling."

Old 07-25-2011, 12:30 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
My wife was watching a movie the other night. One of those romantic comedies about a woman looking for Mr Right. My wife said "I'm SO glad that I don't have to date anymore!" So, that taught me a valuable lesson. . . . . .I can screw up pretty bad and my wife will stay with me because the alternative is re-entering the dating scene in her 40s
So yer sayin 'She drinks to make me interesting' huh?

Old 07-25-2011, 12:34 PM

31 posts, read 32,741 times
try match.com

Old 07-25-2011, 01:29 PM

30 posts, read 126,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
No, let's not.

Really, I'm puzzled about why this has become the focus of the thread .....

So, rather than trying to pinpoint what "quality" actually means, how about answering the OP's question about where to find eligible bachelors?

Thanks.
Having skimmed this thread, I have to agree with this comment that the focus has gone off the deep end.

The OP asked a simple question. She wants to know where single men of a certain age group hang out. Lots of folks have replied with constructive suggestions. But more and more, this thread is turning into an attempt to personally attack the OP by giving her an Inquisition-style grilling over her taste in men, her standards, and the definitions of various words that she or perhaps others have used to describe what they're looking for. Heck, before you know it, we're going to be talking about what the definition of "is" is.

One of the things that I've noticed about the Internet is that people feel that the sense of anonymity makes it safe for them to unleash their inner-14-year-old self, that bottled up adolescent who is perpetually insecure and lashes out at others to feel something other than completely worthless. I don't think people ever really grow out of that. I think that they simply repress it to due society's demands of propriety. I've encountered it on pretty much every forum throughout the Web.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary