Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 01:31 PM

677 posts, read 1,903,874 times

Advertisements

Hurricanes are unpredictable. As advanced as our forecasting methods have become, predicting what a hurricane is going to do as it approaches land is still an very inexact science and it could just have easily have been the "unlucky" result. I'm grateful that they let us know what might happen, and that they warn us to prepare and to get out of harm's way. I do get a little tired of the after-the-storm coverage showing a tree down here or a power line down there, but after living through Hugo, Bertha, Fran, Floyd, and all the others I don't think over-preparation is a bad thing.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:34 PM

91 posts, read 180,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceBound View Post
Thanks. I won't let it happen next time.

I do think there's going to be a flooding issue in New York. Can you imagine all the sewer rats coming up into the streets and buildings to avoid drowning? OMG!
If they were listening to the news they would have left yesterday :-)

The worst part will be the infrastructure. All the data and phone lines are underground and in manholes. Those folks may be without phones and internet for weeks!

Old 08-27-2011, 01:37 PM

233 posts, read 269,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyVilla View Post
If they were listening to the news they would have left yesterday :-)

The worst part will be the infrastructure. All the data and phone lines are underground and in manholes. Those folks may be without phones and internet for weeks!
I saw a report on how the salt water could do a lot of damage to the infrastructure and wiring. They were talking about the salt itself.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:46 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
21,000 homes in Wake County alone are without power.

I hope they listened to the so-called "hype" that said to prepare for power outages.

I know it was important for my friend who is on oxygen to listen to the "hype."

A large tree fell a couple of blocks away the next neighborhood over. I'm glad people listened to the "hype" and stayed home and nobody was under the tree. Can it happen? Yes. One in NC and a child in VA have been killed by falling trees. Today.

We still have power, but we've had multiple power glitches, so it still remains to be seen if we'll still have power the rest of the day. Good thing we listened to the "hype," so that we have some backup if the power goes out.

If the media doesn't share enough information, they get criticized for that, too. They're not fortune tellers. They report facts as they know them. They depend on experts. They don't make it up. (Except for Fox News, of course. That's another whole story.)

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 08-27-2011 at 02:01 PM..

Old 08-27-2011, 01:50 PM

251 posts, read 515,288 times
Quote:
Too bad TWC could not predict that an idiot was going to walk behind the LIVE ON AIR reporter, drop his shorts and jump up and down showing off his bouncing junk. OMG! You should have heard the people back at the station gasping!

Back to sanity, the storm just took a sharp move to the northeast, so it should start pulling out of here now.
It's already on You Tube...

Old 08-27-2011, 02:04 PM

553 posts, read 1,272,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Of course it's all right...everyone it entitled to their opinion. However, for you and others to say that media did this for ratings and present this as fact/reality is not only untrue but can cause harm...how? New folks moving to this area, gullible people will believe what you are saying and next time may assume the next "big" storm will be like this one. This would be very foolish.

I will give you an example of why I believe you are wrong about local media. In this area, WRAL is know for providing excellent weather coverage. I know the owners of WRAL. They are honorable people who have done much for this community (and beyond) and have NOT sought attention nor recognition for this - they'd rather get involved at street level and prefer to keep it quiet. As a family they continue to support our community in meaningful ways such as giving millions to arts education, and social programs - supporting a women's & children's shelter, providing winter clothing for poorer residents, and helping people with substance abuse issues. While I am talking about them personally rather than how they run the station, a person or persons of character and morals do not sell out for money!

The reality is that they set aside regular programming to serve our community by providing coverage -to help your butt if needed. They have teams of staffers working around the clock to help us...even if many don't appreciate it or deserve it. Why can't you people appreciate this rather than spout nonsense that's been circulating for years...

In the recent past I worked in partnership with law enforcement, the Red Cross, Salvation Army, and other service agencies to provide assistance in times of disaster. Folks not involved in this have NO idea how hard these people work to be ready should you need them. By the time the event happens they have already work a week or more, almost non stop to get ready. I have heard many stories of what it is like on the front lines...people need to know how situations can change quickly - only media can the word out about this. I also visited New Orleans and saw the devastion there still a few months after Katrina. I heard stories from the Salvation Army commander who was stranded in a bldg for 3 days in putrid water. Thanks to the media and President Bush, they rescued him and others who took refuge in the bldg. He has since died from a form of cancer contracted from the contaminated water. I heard from health professionals at a conference in New Orleans as recently as 2.5 yrs ago who said the health effects of Katrina will be with many residents for the rest of their lives. many will have their lives shortened b/c of this...many are still very sick. Wouldn't you want to know if you may be in similar danger?

When Floyd hit, I worked with the leader of the Red Cross logistics team. We worked all weekend to find accomodations for the volunteers who came to Raleigh to help us. These same volunteers went out to Smithfield and the surrounding areas into contaminated waters where coffins and dead animals were floating, along with sewer waste, and guess what...they also got sick from it. The leader had to be flown home to be treated for severe respiratory issues. With a storm, it's not always what you see, smell, hear. There are dangers lurking. If media can help by telling us to stay away from these areas, wouldn't you appreciate their assistance?

Again, people, we need the media's help...they provide an invaluable service. So what if things don't turn out bad in this area and they have to fill in with chatter about what might have been.

It saddens me that gratitude is not widespread, but scoffing and smart ass remarks are.

I am sorry to come off as lecturing but this makes me so angry...people are so ignorant about this and think it's funny.

Well said!!! People are going to ***** and moan regardless. Maybe people should be relived. There are at least four people who lost their lives...I guess that's considered 'hype" to some as well.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I saw a report on how the salt water could do a lot of damage to the infrastructure and wiring. They were talking about the salt itself.
The slightest bit of rain can make the phone lines go crazy up there...the salt water be worse. Add to the fact that the manhole has to be completely dry before the engineers can go in to work on it...

Old 08-27-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
21,000 homes in Wake County alone are without power.

I hope they listened to the so-called "hype" that said to prepare for power outages.

I know it was important for my friend who is on oxygen to listen to the "hype."

A large tree fell a couple of blocks away the next neighborhood over. I'm glad people listened to the "hype" and stayed home and nobody was under the tree. Can it happen? Yes. One in NC and a child in VA have been killed by falling trees. Today.

We still have power, but we've had multiple power glitches, so it still remains to be seen if we'll still have power the rest of the day. Good thing we listened to the "hype," so that we have some backup if the power goes out.

If the media doesn't share enough information, they get criticized for that, too. They're not fortune tellers. They report facts as they know them. They depend on experts. They don't make it up. (Except for Fox News, of course. That's another whole story.)
The over hyped part was about them claiming it would reach cat 4, when it did not. About hitting NC as cat 3-4, when it was a cat 1. About the amount of effect in the Triangle, which ended up being a joke. About insisting it was going to crank back up to a cat 3 when it was obvious it was going the opposite direction and they would not give it up. About the complete destruction of the outer banks, which did not happen. About the news being 100% on one topic and nothing else.

Saying it was over hyped does not mean not one thing happened anywhere, which could have happened with non hurricane storms just as easily.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-27-2011 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
The over hyped part was about them claiming it would reach cat 4, when it did not. About hitting NC as cat 3-4, when it was a cat 1. About the amount of effect in the Triangle, which ended up being a joke. About insisting it was going to crank back up to a cat 3 when it was obvious it was going the opposite direction and they would not give it up. About the complete destruction of the outer banks, which did not happen. About the news being 100% on one topic and nothing else.

Saying it was over hyped does not mean not one thing happened anywhere, which could have happened with non hurricane storms just as easily.

Thats the problem with the weather. This hurricane and Fran had the same barometric pressure. And you just don't know. It was interesting watch Greg Fishel on Thursday night. He showed the path of Irene and the water temperatures and he said that he thought the storm would weaken and not increase. But there again you just dont know what they will do.

Secondly while most of us in the Triangle haven't been impacted, the people in Wilson, Greenville and Kinston can't say the same. Therefore to them it doesnt matter that it was only a category 1 hurricane. So in a way for the Triangle it was hype, but for Wilson and others east (which are in WRAL's viewing area) it may not have been enough. I wouldnt be surprised if there were people east of Wake County but West of the Coast claiming just the opposite as you...that the TV station didnt prepare them enough.

Oh well - my husband is fed up with the hype too...when I turned it on in the car I got a Category 5 look.....They'll stop talking about it next weekend!

And in case you were wondering what song was in my head this afternoon...

Who's peekin' out from under a stairway
Calling a name that's lighter than air
Who's bending down to give me a rainbow
Everyone knows it's Windy
Who's tripping down the streets of the city
Smilin' at everybody she sees
Who's reachin' out to capture a moment
Everyone knows it's Windy
And Windy has stor-my eyes
That flash at the sound of lies
And Windy has wings to fly
Above the clouds (above the clouds)
Above the clouds (above the clouds)

Old 08-27-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyVilla View Post
Thats the problem with the weather. This hurricane and Fran had the same barometric pressure. And you just don't know. It was interesting watch Greg Fishel on Thursday night. He showed the path of Irene and the water temperatures and he said that he thought the storm would weaken and not increase. But there again you just dont know what they will do.

Secondly while most of us in the Triangle haven't been impacted, the people in Wilson, Greenville and Kinston can't say the same. Therefore to them it doesnt matter that it was only a category 1 hurricane. So in a way for the Triangle it was hype, but for Wilson and others east (which are in WRAL's viewing area) it may not have been enough. I wouldnt be surprised if there were people east of Wake County but West of the Coast claiming just the opposite as you...that the TV station didnt prepare them enough.

Oh well - my husband is fed up with the hype too...when I turned it on in the car I got a Category 5 look.....They'll stop talking about it next weekend!
Fair enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary