Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 07:34 AM

430 posts, read 626,848 times

Advertisements

Before we moved here we used to take our kids to a "destination neighborhood" because they had friends who lived there. I'd talk to the people there and many of them thanked us for bringing the kids. They went all out with many of them setting up haunted houses in their garages for the kids to go through to get the candy. After that sort of effort they said the more kids that saw it the better.

This year we moved to a destination neighborhood, decorated the house, and even with the rain had about 500 kids come by. We loved it. I did a little comparison shopping and couponing and managed to get 600 snack sized bars for less than $50. My 10 year old daughter came home with 12.6 lbs of candy (yeah we weighed it) so I think we just about broke even. ;-)

The best part was my 3 year old just loved seeing all the kids come by and he got to hand out the candy. He even handed out the candy he had trick-or-treated himself. He thought it was the most fun ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 09:49 AM

569 posts, read 1,978,637 times
Our neighborhood used to be a destination, with tons of cars parked all along the entrance street. Could barely even sit down between kids coming to the door. Then they built several new developments around us with smaller lots, so houses are closer together and closer to the street. Now we are no longer a destination. The kids from our neighborhood old enough to go around without their parents have figured out where to get more candy with less walking so all we get are the younger neighbor children with their parents walking them around. It is kind of nice now. Cute young children without the hoards of teenagers.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:48 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,157,625 times
When my family first moved to Raleigh, we lived in an apartment for about four years. That first year we tried trick or treating around the apartment complex and it was the most depressing thing ever. My mom felt bad for us after an hour and drove us to the neighborhood near the apartment complex. We ended up going there every year and my parents eventually bought a house in that neighborhood.

Where we live now there's a lot of kids that come over from the nearby apartment complex and I welcome them openly. I remember how cruddy it was as a kid and they deserve to have as much fun as other kids in the area. At least these days the mall has the trick or treating as well. I don't think they started that until I was too old to go trick or treating.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,577 times
Default I would

I also would not care about where children come from... there are a finite number of kids that will.show up. Kids are only young once. Make it special for them even if they dont live in your neighborhood

Old 10-09-2013, 12:05 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,015,803 times
I would think that someone in the "ideal neighborhood" would consider that just maybe some of the "outside the neighborhood" kids don't have all the perks and advantages of their own kids..That isn't true for all of the kids brought in but is true for some..

Maybe for just one night give with a gracious heart to help those kids have a great Halloween..

Old 10-09-2013, 06:33 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I would think that someone in the "ideal neighborhood" would consider that just maybe some of the "outside the neighborhood" kids don't have all the perks and advantages of their own kids..That isn't true for all of the kids brought in but is true for some..

Maybe for just one night give with a gracious heart to help those kids have a great Halloween..
I agree.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:47 AM

15 posts, read 74,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
I'm just wondering how people in the "destination neighborhoods" must feel about this?
As long as kids/parents are out walking around and having a good time, I'm all for it and will give out loads of candy. The only problem i have is with people who drive their kids around in cars and drop their kids off in front of each house and then drive to the next one. I reserve a pile of REALLY boring and undesirable candy for those trick or treaters .
*edit: without wanting to sound insensitive toward people with limited mobility but still want their kids to enjoy halloween, i was just kidding. Although I'm certain there are some candy abusers out there.

Last edited by craigslistweirdo; 10-09-2013 at 07:18 AM..

Old 10-09-2013, 07:32 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
I'm just wondering how people in the "destination neighborhoods" must feel about this?

I live in an apartment too, and before that, in the country. We used to drive our daughter around to family for Trick Or Treating in the country, and once or twice went into neighborhoods with a friend (but by invitation).

I'm not really trying to stir the cauldron, but it seems a bit unfair to go to a neighborhood that you have no connection to, and expect them to hand out candy (which they had to purchase) to your kid, with whom they have no connection.

How do the people that live in these neighborhoods feel about this?

(and for that matter, since it's my first year in an apartment that is exactly as described by OP, what is to be expected? I asked a neighbor a few days ago, but they didn't know either...)
I don't mind living in a "destiniation neigborhood." Except, I hate it when parents drive door to door. Park and walk. It's safer for everyone.

When I see on of these kids, or a kid talking on a cell phone coming up my stairs, I present the second basket of candy for them. DumbDumbs for everyone.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:14 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
I don't mind living in a "destiniation neigborhood." Except, I hate it when parents drive door to door. Park and walk. It's safer for everyone.

When I see on of these kids, or a kid talking on a cell phone coming up my stairs, I present the second basket of candy for them. DumbDumbs for everyone.
I dunno. Depends on the neighborhood. Preston is full of golf carts.

Wait. You give out lesser candy to kids because their parents drive?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:26 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I dunno. Depends on the neighborhood. Preston is full of golf carts.

Wait. You give out lesser candy to kids because their parents drive?
Yeah....My neighborhood is a mob scence. Narrow streets with few sidewalks. I don't mind outsiders trick or treating, but their extra traffic creates a danger for the little kids who are enjoying a little extra freedom walking around at night. All I'm saying is park and then enjoy trick or treating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary