Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:44 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
I'm just wondering how people in the "destination neighborhoods" must feel about this?

I live in an apartment too, and before that, in the country. We used to drive our daughter around to family for Trick Or Treating in the country, and once or twice went into neighborhoods with a friend (but by invitation).

I'm not really trying to stir the cauldron, but it seems a bit unfair to go to a neighborhood that you have no connection to, and expect them to hand out candy (which they had to purchase) to your kid, with whom they have no connection.

How do the people that live in these neighborhoods feel about this?

(and for that matter, since it's my first year in an apartment that is exactly as described by OP, what is to be expected? I asked a neighbor a few days ago, but they didn't know either...)
The part that bothers me about this: Last year was our first year here and our neighborhood was bombarded. It wasn't the kids who didn't live here that I had a problem with, it was all of their parents driving their jumbotron SUVs through the neighborhoods because they were too lazy to get out and walk with the kids. They'd literally drive up to each house, park halfway on the lawn, wait for the kid to leave that house, and go to the next. The neighborhood was swarming with kids and I honestly felt vehicles should not have been allowed-it was more of a safety issue than anything. I know they can't yell people they can't drive on the streets, but it would have been much more enjoyable if it were pedestrians only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 10:32 AM

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times
I just wanna know where the Fun-Sized chocolate is?

I mean... The best deals in the stores...
It is my goal to have one of the best T-O-T destinations.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:45 AM

498 posts, read 854,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
It wasn't the kids who didn't live here that I had a problem with, it was all of their parents driving their jumbotron SUVs through the neighborhoods because they were too lazy to get out and walk with the kids. They'd literally drive up to each house, park halfway on the lawn, wait for the kid to leave that house, and go to the next. The neighborhood was swarming with kids and I honestly felt vehicles should not have been allowed-it was more of a safety issue than anything. I know they can't yell people they can't drive on the streets, but it would have been much more enjoyable if it were pedestrians only.
This times 1000. As I was clicking on the thread I was thinking this exact thing. And what a dangerous thing to be doing!

The only time I didn't like outsiders trick-or-treating in our neighborhood was when Halloween was on a Friday or Saturday recently and the corn maze across the street from our neighborhood had a haunted maze at night. We got a TON of extra people, especially teenagers. Yuck.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I just wanna know where the Fun-Sized chocolate is?

I mean... The best deals in the stores... s
It is my goal to have one of the best T-O-T destinations.
Dollar Tree Stores, I was actually impress with the selection and amount you get in those $1 bags
They also have those nasty plastic tasting chews that get stuck in the teeth Those are the ones to give to beggars who dont wear costumes

Funniest Halloween Pranks Ever!! - YouTube

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-09-2013 at 11:17 AM..

Old 10-09-2013, 11:38 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I dunno. Depends on the neighborhood. Preston is full of golf carts.

Wait. You give out lesser candy to kids because their parents drive?
I would be highly tempted to give any kid who drives from door to door to get sugar filled candy, because they are too lazy to walk, an insulin pump. They're gonna need it eventually.

Interesting thread, with good points from all sides. I'm in my first year in a "real neighborhood", and trying to decide what I'm going to do. I expect that if I'm there, it will be busy. (I'll ask my neighbors). Thinking I might hand out candy early, and then go see SCOTS at Cat's Cradle later that night. Mwa-ha-ha...

Old 10-09-2013, 11:38 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
My kids are pretty much grown - done with trick-or-treating. I love sitting on the front porch with our bowl of candy and enjoying the young kids and their costumes as they come to our house. The kids are having a joyful time, and it can't help but bring a smile to my face. I don't care where they came from or how they got there. A few bucks for some candy is a small price to pay for such a treat!

Old 10-09-2013, 11:48 AM

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
My kids are pretty much grown - done with trick-or-treating. I love sitting on the front porch with our bowl of candy and enjoying the young kids and their costumes as they come to our house. The kids are having a joyful time, and it can't help but bring a smile to my face. I don't care where they came from or how they got there. A few bucks for some candy is a small price to pay for such a treat!
Yeah, I like standing up as tall as I can, and saying in my deepest voice to the terrified little ones, "What do you say?"

No "Trick or Treat?" No candy for You!
Well, not really...

Old 10-09-2013, 12:27 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,623,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Interesting thread, with good points from all sides. I'm in my first year in a "real neighborhood", and trying to decide what I'm going to do. I expect that if I'm there, it will be busy. (I'll ask my neighbors). Thinking I might hand out candy early, and then go see SCOTS at Cat's Cradle later that night. Mwa-ha-ha...
The novelty wore off for me a long time ago.. I now go out for dinner and then to a movie. When I get home, all is once again quiet in my neighborhood!

Old 10-09-2013, 04:58 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
Yeah....My neighborhood is a mob scence. Narrow streets with few sidewalks. I don't mind outsiders trick or treating, but their extra traffic creates a danger for the little kids who are enjoying a little extra freedom walking around at night. All I'm saying is park and then enjoy trick or treating.
Yeah. The area I'm thinking of in Preston has huge lots and very wide streets. It's logical to take a car so you can walk a little way, then get picked up, then walk some more. Areas with narrow streets and cars parked on them are SO not safe to be driving around Halloween. Get out and walk!

Old 10-09-2013, 04:59 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I would be highly tempted to give any kid who drives from door to door to get sugar filled candy, because they are too lazy to walk, an insulin pump. They're gonna need it eventually.

I doubt it has to be with kids being too lazy to walk. Some neighborhoods have houses that are spread out pretty far. Poor kids would barely get any candy unless they stayed out for hours. In neighborhoods with smaller lots, it's illogical NOT to walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary