Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 10:35 PM

131 posts, read 144,953 times

Advertisements

I spoke to my Grandma back in FL the other day, and she would love to have some of your problems. I asked her how many trick-or-treaters they got this year, and she said only 5 the whole night. And those 5 kids were teenagers, whose parents had driven them there.

She was happy for those 5 kids, but definitely disappointed about not having more. She thinks that most of the kids in her neighborhood have grown up and moved away. She also told me when she was at the store buying candy, she heard parents talking about school events, and trunk-or-treats, so she thinks a lot kids go to those.

So all of you complaining about "tall" trick-or-treaters, or a deluge of kids, be careful what you wish for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 05:01 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,933,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post

So all of you complaining about "tall" trick-or-treaters, or a deluge of kids, be careful what you wish for!
True. The trend today is head out for those neighborhoods with the best bang for your buck. If you live in one of those you have two choices:grin and bear it or turn off all your lights and leave.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:12 AM

143 posts, read 201,790 times
When hundreds of kids show up in your neighborhood that don't live there, yes it is horrible.

It's also very expensive. Last time we handed out candy it was at least $150 worth of candy. We had to close up early because I wasn't refilling the bowl again with another store trip.

It also is bad for the kids that live in the neighborhood. Their night can get cut short because houses run out of candy early, and the cars on the street are unsafe.

We lived in that neighborhood about 10 years. The net effect of all the extra visitors - every year fewer and fewer houses in our part of the subdivision gave out candy. Last two years my side street was completely dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Because it's just horrible that kids living in apartments would want to trick or treat in your subdivision.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:16 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,623,048 times
I had a coworker who lived in a destination neighborhood. She said that everyone got so tired of being inundated that they wound up having their neighborhood trick or treat the night before. That way the kids who actually lived there could have fun. And then on Halloween night itself the neighborhood was mostly dark. Brilliant idea!

Old 11-03-2015, 09:33 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,342,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I had a coworker who lived in a destination neighborhood. She said that everyone got so tired of being inundated that they wound up having their neighborhood trick or treat the night before. That way the kids who actually lived there could have fun. And then on Halloween night itself the neighborhood was mostly dark. Brilliant idea!
Yeah that is a great idea but sad for the people that actually live in the neighborhood to have to do this because others are coming into their neighborhood.

So what makes a "destination neighborhood"?

Old 11-03-2015, 10:00 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,575,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
Yeah that is a great idea but sad for the people that actually live in the neighborhood to have to do this because others are coming into their neighborhood.

So what makes a "destination neighborhood"?

The maximum number of pounds of candy per acre.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:12 AM

43,308 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
The maximum number of pounds of candy per acre.
Bonus points for chocolate.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:46 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,890 times
A destination neighborhood would be like Oakwood. They close the streets and hundreds of visitors come. Much of it is because of the decorated house on East st and the actors they employ. Seems like most of the other neighbors join the celebration. It's old houses next to Raleighs oldest grave yard. Why wouldn't you go? The trick to living in a destination hood is to buy cheap candy and give out one piece. I've heard that bags of candy are donated for that particular one.

Years ago I used to consider Heddingham a lower tier destination spot. They essentially did the same things on a few of the blocks. People that weren't home or on the popular streets would drop off candy at the houses that were participating. My mother lived there so it was the only neighborhood of houses that I had any connection with. We went maybe a couple more years after she moved,but the neighborhood had started to decline and less houses were making the effort. I do understand the frustration with large groups in busses being brought in and taxis pulling up and kids that are too old or not in costume. But IME they aren't the majority and its one awesome day a year, that without the kids is just another day to wear slutty clothes.lol

Old 11-03-2015, 04:07 PM

131 posts, read 144,953 times
Horrible is a strong word.

I'm reminded of that Dear Prudence letter from a woman complaining that too many "poor" kids come to her neighborhood each year for Halloween. The letter came off as mean spirited and tone deaf. Here it is if anyone wants to read it: Dear Prudence: On Halloween, poor kids come to trick-or-treat in my neighborhood.

150 on candy sounds like a lot. How much are you giving each kid? Are you giving them gormet chocolates? You can buy whole bags of the good stuff (fun size chocolate bars, skittles, m&ms, lollipops, etc) for like a buck each at the dollar store. Hell, you can get full size Hershey bars for $1 at the gas station! Candy isn't that expensive. I really doubt anyone is losing meals over trick or treat expenses.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:15 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,678 times
We used to live in a small to mid sized North Raleigh subdivision. There were plenty of kids who lived there, and we always got 3-4x as many kids total each Halloween. Cars, trucks, and vanloads of them came from elsewhere each year. We'd hand out candy to 75-100 kids, easily, in about 2 hours. After 8pm the lights went off and we called it a night.

Now, we live out in rural Northern Wake County. We go to a friends' neighborhood and let our kids TorT there. We usually bring plenty of candy to add to what they hand out. But it helps that we are "invited". I never held a grudge to kids who travelled to our neighborhood. I assumed most were from non-neighborhoods, rural areas, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary