Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 11:00 AM

288 posts, read 361,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFanNC View Post
TWC and Earth link customer service are telling me that the speed upgrade is only for TWC customers, not EarthLink - so this is surprising to me. Can any other Earth Link customer confirm they are seeing improved speeds?
I'm an earthlink customer in 27705, and am getting the faster 100/10 speed now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 11:26 AM

154 posts, read 389,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFanNC View Post
Any one seen speed increases for 27518 area ? Is the speed increase automatic for Earth Link customers too? or we have to call in TWC or EarthLink to have them enable the speeds ? Appreciate any info any one can share.
I am in 27518 and was told that 10/2 is the date to expect the MAXX upgrade.

flamtap

Old 09-09-2015, 12:31 PM

9 posts, read 11,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Question - I need to have my speed increased to what it's supposed to be, but when I call TWC I end up shipped off somewhere to someone who doesn't seem to know how to help. I'm reading on this thread that others are getting to knowledgeable people...so clearly I'm not saying the right things. What is the secret to getting a tech who can help?

Once I called and the tech rebooted my modem and told me to wait two weeks to see if it would improve. This was before MAXX so maybe now it's one week.
I work in IT so I can rattle off the technical information to them and I know how to test beforehand to give them the details they need about the problem i'm having. I'm pretty sure most TWC residential support people run down a script and overall probably think you're stupid. Best thing is plug directly into your modem to see if you still have the same problems. You can test you connection by trying things like:
-Set a constant ping to google (ping -t google.com) and if you're dropping packets thats a problem.
-Pull up your modem's web page (usually 192.168.100.1) and see if you have lots of uncorrectable codewords as thats a problem
-On the modem's web page make sure your signal levels are between approx. +12 through -12 DBM.

If none of the above symptoms are happening, they probably will shrug it off and say lets check later, if you can show them the above symptoms they will have reason to investigate further.

-As far as the speeds go, you need to have a newer modem from time warner, or your own modem (Must be 6141 or 6183 depending on which speeds) in order to take advantage of that. Your equipment may just need a reboot to check for new provisioning details for higher speeds.

Hope that helps you

Old 09-09-2015, 02:05 PM

725 posts, read 1,501,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamtap View Post
I am in 27518 and was told that 10/2 is the date to expect the MAXX upgrade.

flamtap
10/2 was the date they told me as well - 27539.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:08 PM

650 posts, read 930,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowoo919 View Post
I work in IT so I can rattle off the technical information to them and I know how to test beforehand to give them the details they need about the problem i'm having. I'm pretty sure most TWC residential support people run down a script and overall probably think you're stupid. Best thing is plug directly into your modem to see if you still have the same problems. You can test you connection by trying things like:
-Set a constant ping to google (ping -t google.com) and if you're dropping packets thats a problem.
-Pull up your modem's web page (usually 192.168.100.1) and see if you have lots of uncorrectable codewords as thats a problem
-On the modem's web page make sure your signal levels are between approx. +12 through -12 DBM.

If none of the above symptoms are happening, they probably will shrug it off and say lets check later, if you can show them the above symptoms they will have reason to investigate further.

-As far as the speeds go, you need to have a newer modem from time warner, or your own modem (Must be 6141 or 6183 depending on which speeds) in order to take advantage of that. Your equipment may just need a reboot to check for new provisioning details for higher speeds.

Hope that helps you
When I go to that IP address it asks me for a User name and password. What could I use?

Old 09-09-2015, 08:55 PM

563 posts, read 956,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernc42 View Post
When I go to that IP address it asks me for a User name and password. What could I use?
The modem likely came with the default settings per the manufacturer settings in the manual or PDF for that model number and brand. Sometimes the service provider provides a default one and provides that information when the modem is setup in documentation or in their online help.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:30 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Type <model number of modem> default login into google and it will certainly come up.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:19 AM

115 posts, read 277,173 times
Maxx is live in 27613. I have a tech coming out this weekend to check my connection outside as I'm not getting close to the Ultimate 300, but my uploads are fantastic.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:52 AM

166 posts, read 419,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js33 View Post
Maxx is live in 27613. I have a tech coming out this weekend to check my connection outside as I'm not getting close to the Ultimate 300, but my uploads are fantastic.
What make and model of cable modem and router do you have?

Do you get higher speeds if you connect your computer directly to the cable modem?

If so, then the problem is your router and if you're using wireless, possibly your client adapters as well.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:27 AM

115 posts, read 277,173 times
That speed is connected directly to the Motorola 6183. I have the 16x4 bonded channels. The tech on my chat said there are synchronization issues...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary