Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 10:31 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,496,420 times

Advertisements

I just looked up Chatham Park, and it sounds overconfident. "The project will likely increase Pittsboro's population to more than 60,000 people." Ummm, seriously? Pittsboro has around 4,000 now, and growth rates in the Triangle might decline in the future, but if you say so...... When are they expecting to kick this off? And I don't think I quite understand what it is in the first place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 01:47 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,731,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I just looked up Chatham Park, and it sounds overconfident. "The project will likely increase Pittsboro's population to more than 60,000 people." Ummm, seriously? Pittsboro has around 4,000 now, and growth rates in the Triangle might decline in the future, but if you say so...... When are they expecting to kick this off? And I don't think I quite understand what it is in the first place!
That number makes sense when you wrap your head around the scale of Chatham Park. It literally dwarfs Pittsboro to the East.

http://pittsboronc.gov/vertical/site...LandUse(3).pdf

Old 07-21-2015, 05:37 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,591,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
I wonder what traffic on 64 coming into Cary and Apex will be like once they get Chatham Park up and running. I know it is supposed to take 40 years to complete it, but, say, 15 years from now with no upgrades to 64, I just can't imagine.
Extensive improvements have been studied and planned.
However, there is no budget and no schedule for implementation.
NCDOT: Strategic Highway Corridors, US 64 Corridor Study - Phase IIA

Old 07-21-2015, 06:59 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
The idea is that Chatham Park will be a self-contained entity, live-work-play. So there won't be as much cross traffic along NC64 as one would think.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:02 AM

715 posts, read 889,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Hey jay jay- why do you think growth in the Triangle might decline? Apex is and will build every sq. inch up till the Chatham line and have annexed similar to Cary in Western Cary..Think the issues for the future is water in that all these developments near Jordan and Falls will increase run off no matter what they say about buffers especially with a GOP legislative hellbent on relaxing regulations for business.

Happened at Crabtree when they built the MetLife monster which has already damaged Crabtree in terms of ecosystem and recreation. Pittsboro will surprise you in the coming years have a look at the Brier Chapel community and expect more.

Every time I am on 64 in Apex going past the ugly new site for Costco I put on Joni Mitchell and play Big Yellow Taxi and just start singing "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot"... Heck that goes for most of the area.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:12 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,437,629 times
What about Frankin County? With North Wake continuing to explode and 540, you would think it would be the natural spillover location for growth. But an inadequate U.S. 1 has stymied growth potential for this county. Franklin County and Vance County should be clamoring nonstop to have U.S. 1 transformed into a freeway to I-85. Raleigh should want the same so that it has a seamless route to DC and the Northeast Corridor.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:16 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,545,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
I wonder what traffic on 64 coming into Cary and Apex will be like once they get Chatham Park up and running. I know it is supposed to take 40 years to complete it, but, say, 15 years from now with no upgrades to 64, I just can't imagine.
And not room to widen the portions of the road over the lake without serious structural/aesthetic changes.

Nice user name. Let's go O's.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:18 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,775,808 times
The best way to figure out what the boundaries might be X years out is to see where the people that "want more land" or "want more rural", but still want the advantages of an urban area in terms of jobs, healthcare, etc., are moving today. If something is close enough and served well enough by roads today, it's likely to be engulfed in 15-20 years.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:20 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,437,629 times
Although The plans may be for Chatham Park to be self-contained, the reality is that its success depends upon connectivity to Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Durham, and Cary. To attract the number of projected residents, businesses, and amenities, it will have to market its proximity to Triangle cities. Chatham is a nice place, but scores of thousands of people and many businesses aren't going to come there If the location is viewed in isolation.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:57 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,917,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Although The plans may be for Chatham Park to be self-contained, the reality is that its success depends upon connectivity to Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Durham, and Cary. To attract the number of projected residents, businesses, and amenities, it will have to market its proximity to Triangle cities. Chatham is a nice place, but scores of thousands of people and many businesses aren't going to come there If the location is viewed in isolation.
Exactly. It's an idea that sounds great to sell the project, but it's silly to imagine tens of thousands of people all living/working/playing in one little location.

I participated in the ULI's Reality Check exercise a couple of years ago, and it was interesting to see luminaries (the Goodmons of the world, folks like David Strong of Rex and now Orlando Health, etc.) all looking for ways to reduce sprawl, build denser communities, reduce traffic, etc. As part of the exercise, we were supposed to add yellow and red blocks reflecting where we would put new residents and jobs, which most of us tried to work in into the existing portions of the Triangle to cut down on sprawl.

We had this one buffoon from I think the Chatham Co. chamber, though, who bunched all the red/yellow blocks on Pittsboro and said, essentially, "Pittsboro is the next place to boom in the Triangle and we want our share of beds and jobs." Forget growing Cary or Raleigh or Durham, let's through all these people out into Pittsboro!

Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary