Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 11:43 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times

Advertisements

Based on all the uproar over the Raleigh UDO proposal I'd say the vast majority of the general public are against density unless it is in the downtown core (and some are even against that).

Moral of the story: The general public still wants their sprawl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 12:00 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Based on all the uproar over the Raleigh UDO proposal I'd say the vast majority of the general public are against density unless it is in the downtown core (and some are even against that).

Well....I'm not so certain. From my experience, noise is only made from the side that's unhappy. Happy people are more likely to sit on their hands and say nothing. It's the pendulum swinging nature of our culture.
Using North Hills as an example, do we really believe that citizens would prefer a giant Walmart there with 3 acres of unmaintained parking lot vs. what is there now? Change is hard for almost all people and many of those people assume the worst as they shrink into some sort of evolution induced defensive posture when dealing with change issues that "threaten" them and their families.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:01 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,494,889 times
Quote:

Are you serious? No words.......

Old 07-22-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Well....I'm not so certain. From my experience, noise is only made from the side that's unhappy. Happy people are more likely to sit on their hands and say nothing. It's the pendulum swinging nature of our culture.
Right, but the City Council can only respond to the public comments they receive and they plan on changing the UDO to address these public comments - which have been overwhelmingly against density. Work Sessions are already scheduled to address the comments made at the last two UDO hearings and most of those comments were not in favor of density.

It may just be a vocal minority, but they are the only ones speaking up and the only ones who will have an impact on how the UDO is updated.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:57 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Right, but the City Council can only respond to the public comments they receive and they plan on changing the UDO to address these public comments - which have been overwhelmingly against density. Work Sessions are already scheduled to address the comments made at the last two UDO hearings and most of those comments were not in favor of density.

It may just be a vocal minority, but they are the only ones speaking up and the only ones who will have an impact on how the UDO is updated.
I don't disagree with what you are saying but I stand by my statement that it's the naysayers that have their way in our culture because they are the only ones making a big noise.
An interesting experiment would be to go out to any Moral Monday's protest and survey who did and who didn't vote in the 2010 election. My guess is that there would be a lot of people who couldn't be bothered to vote that year.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:36 PM

128 posts, read 151,453 times
Quote:

No the general public has had enough. More and more roads do not improve traffic. In the long term it makes traffic worse. Lower quality of life with more time spent sitting in traffic.
But to answer the OP's question.......as long as the US has a growing population who knows. It's not just population growth from illegal immigrants that Washington turns a blind eye towards. Washington also issues hundreds of thousands of legal visas to people each year to come to the US. Such as the Chattanooga shooter and the Boston bombers. All part of the plan.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John EdwardsII View Post
But to answer the OP's question.......as long as the US has a growing population who knows. It's not just population growth from illegal immigrants that Washington turns a blind eye towards. Washington also issues hundreds of thousands of legal visas to people each year to come to the US. Such as the Chattanooga shooter and the Boston bombers. All part of the plan.
Breaking News: The number one cause of population growth in the United States is SEX between two US citizens.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:43 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
To the north, south, east, and west, how far do think suburban sprawl will spread from (specifically) Raleigh and Wake County? If this area continues to grow, at least. Anyone have predictions? I've heard the areas west of Apex are booming.
More west and south, than east and north.

Sprawl will continue to happen as people seek to be "away" from the congestion, but the congestion continues to follow them. With more and more people working remotely and more medical and infrastructure pushing further out, it allows people to go further and further. Those of us who do not care for "city life" and have little to no use for city amenities are more likely to find life better away from the city. Where we live now, our growth is limited by vast bodies of water and preservation land....whereas the Raleigh/Durham area has miles and miles and miles available to sprawl. Personally, I like sprawl as it allows more options for people. Not everyone likes the same thing and life events can change one's priorities.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:49 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Exactly. It's an idea that sounds great to sell the project, but it's silly to imagine tens of thousands of people all living/working/playing in one little location.
Yet this is exactly the dream for many urbanites. One location. Theirs.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:26 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John EdwardsII View Post
No the general public has had enough. More and more roads do not improve traffic. In the long term it makes traffic worse. Lower quality of life with more time spent sitting in traffic.
I don't see much evidence that "the general public has had enough". I see some people that are moving to trendy areas that are downtown. But I still see most people buying in the suburbs or exurbs, sacrificing commute for more bang for their buck in real estate. I still see most people (in Wake, at least) that would rather see roads widened or the outer loop finished than would like to invest in commuter rail and light rail. The suburban lifestyle drew people to this area, if they'd wanted a urban environment, they'd have moved elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary