Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 03:44 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,482,197 times

Advertisements

Unless sense rules over greed and sprawl is stifled by no support for long commutes, this area will choke on its own growth.

Much of the new construction is junk with a 5 year good life. Many of these structures, especially apartments, will fall into foreclosure and become new slums.

It has already happened in my area with several recent apartments becoming crime ridden trash that most renters rate tterrible on the rating sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 05:32 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,411,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Unless sense rules over greed and sprawl is stifled by no support for long commutes, this area will choke on its own growth.

Much of the new construction is junk with a 5 year good life. Many of these structures, especially apartments, will fall into foreclosure and become new slums.

It has already happened in my area with several recent apartments becoming crime ridden trash that most renters rate tterrible on the rating sites.
Admittedly yes, quality of construction on a lot of these homes is not all that praiseworthy. In terms of new slums, it would take an economic change for that to happen. Suburbs cycle through decay phases, no reason to think Raleighs burbs never will, we are just a new area is all. Im thinking about beginning an effort to help preserve more land south of knightdale before 540 triggers next wave of subdivisions there. Already plans to preserve the equivalent of 7k acres combined but money is needed. Next we need to try to preserve more of the western wake/eastern chatham woodlands. Lots of opportunity there.

One thing i will say is the developers of chatham park took a risk when undertaking a project so large. Whos to say 10 years from now its not feasible anymore? Maybe they dont care and are already recieving returns on there investment.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:21 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Is that your real estate pitch for this area

You realize im more than 50km from RTP? Certainly that accounts for something when you consider that when massive growth comes this way the highway wont mean much when its backed up and you got to drive 50km. Assuming no traffic its a 40 minute drive to RTP from here.
If that was a pitch, it was poor, given the typos.

if it takes you 40 minutes to drive ~ 31 miles on a highway with no traffic, you're doing something wrong

and the question originally posed was about RALEIGH. Lizard Lick is 21 miles to downtown Raleigh.

It's 32 miles from exit 312 to the Davis Dr exit in RTP, and plenty of people are driving that far.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:21 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,554,270 times
I've said before in other threads, Northeast Raleigh/ Rolesville/Knightdale/Wendell/Zebulon is basically the last section of untouched land mass in the county. And it's starting to be built up as well. A lot of people are starting to trade in shorter commute times for bigger/cheaper houses in eastern Wake.

The Knightdale Station housing development is expanding and will be adding a LOT of new homes soon. Large projects like Wendell Falls will add even more houses and sprawl and more developments to the eastern side of Wake county.

It's good and bad. Knightdale has a new commercial development under construction that will be bringing the first movie theater to Eastern Wake county in years (maybe ever?). But it has taken away a large piece of farmland that had been there for many years. it is creating jobs and bringing eastern Wake residents (even portions of Franklin County) commercial developments that they normally would have to drive much farther to take advantage of.

10-15 years from now Knightdale/Wendell are poised to be what Garner/Clayton became a couple of years ago with a better road setup.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
If that was a pitch, it was poor, given the typos.

if it takes you 40 minutes to drive ~ 31 miles on a highway with no traffic, you're doing something wrong

and the question originally posed was about RALEIGH. Lizard Lick is 21 miles to downtown Raleigh.

It's 32 miles from exit 312 to the Davis Dr exit in RTP, and plenty of people are driving that far.
According to google maps its a 63 km drive from my house to the Davis drive exit. It told me it would take 40 minutes to get there.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I've said before in other threads, Northeast Raleigh/ Rolesville/Knightdale/Wendell/Zebulon is basically the last section of untouched land mass in the county. And it's starting to be built up as well. A lot of people are starting to trade in shorter commute times for bigger/cheaper houses in eastern Wake.

The Knightdale Station housing development is expanding and will be adding a LOT of new homes soon. Large projects like Wendell Falls will add even more houses and sprawl and more developments to the eastern side of Wake county.

It's good and bad. Knightdale has a new commercial development under construction that will be bringing the first movie theater to Eastern Wake county in years (maybe ever?). But it has taken away a large piece of farmland that had been there for many years. it is creating jobs and bringing eastern Wake residents (even portions of Franklin County) commercial developments that they normally would have to drive much farther to take advantage of.

10-15 years from now Knightdale/Wendell are poised to be what Garner/Clayton became a couple of years ago with a better road setup.
So thats what they are building on that piece of land! The farm was bound to be taken.... it was sorrounded by strip malls, was inevitable.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:20 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
The horse has already left the barn. All those subdivisions going up in Johnston Countty, Granville County are pretty much bedroom communities to the employment hubs in Wake & Durham Counties.
Yeah, things in Johnston slowed down big time with the housing recession but now they are as you note booming.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:28 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,598,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Is that your real estate pitch for this area

You realize im more than 50km from RTP? Certainly that accounts for something when you consider that when massive growth comes this way the highway wont mean much when its backed up and you got to drive 50km. Assuming no traffic its a 40 minute drive to RTP from here.
That is only 31 miles from Raleigh. That really isn't that far. As long as the population of the area grows, so will the developing areas. It is a fact. Hopefully, your neighbors won't sell out to developers and you can still be somewhat rural.
Why do you use km and not miles or mph? Odd, since this is not a country that uses metric.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
That is only 31 miles from Raleigh. That really isn't that far. As long as the population of the area grows, so will the developing areas. It is a fact. Hopefully, your neighbors won't sell out to developers and you can still be somewhat rural.
Why do you use km and not miles or mph? Odd, since this is not a country that uses metric.
Im 50km when you measure shortest distance, as you know roads arent straight. In total the drive is 63 km. When you consider traffic in raleigh and traffic here with say 50k more people... good luck getting there in less than 1 hour. Raleigh itself is closer but all the jobs in raleigh are on the other side. Last thing i want this area to be is Cary.

Knightdale is aiming for residential development, Wendell commercial and Zebulon residential. Zebulon isnt a "boom town" in comparison to other wake county towns but growth is picking up.

I like living here, politcally everyone is chill, live and let live, none of that political correctness bs you see in schools/communities in carrboro or western raleigh. Also, i like that this area is not diverse... just plain old black, white, hispanic... im arab, last thing i want is more arabs around me . Cary they are everywhere.

I like how i can lay on a two lane road like in "The Notebook" and not have a car come by.

I like how country folks have signs that read " Warning due to shortage of ammo there will be no warning shots". I like how everyone out here lives on a farm. I like how hunting and fishing are everything out here. I like how the Lizard Lick Pub can fly the confederate flag and no one says a damn thing (not voicing support for it, voicing support for freedom to do it!). I like how i hear hunters gunshots. I like how everyone out here can trace there family history generations back. I just like life out here, if it turns into Cary or any other suburb out in western wake i will never come back, this area will be ****.

There is one barrier to massive growth here, the planned reservoir on the little river. Huge amounts of land around it not allowed to be built up. It sort of seals off Franklin county. Only thing is it will wreck natural wetlands...

I use km because i changed my setting on google maps to km for measuring distance and am too lazy to change it back.

Last edited by muslim12; 10-23-2017 at 03:26 PM..

Old 10-23-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Yeah, things in Johnston slowed down big time with the housing recession but now they are as you note booming.
Joco is limited to Clayton area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary