Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 02:23 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,910,056 times

Advertisements

Its people are far more religious than one might think. The black population is deeply religious there, as are people who were born and raised there. I know what some stats say, but in this case I can confirm they are not accurate of the true picture.

I do not understand the disdain for people of faith going on here. Equating faith with ignorance and the lack of faith with being superior/smarter. It's actually quite disturbing and I am not one who follows any religion at all. So much for being open minded and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 07:26 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Really? I know a LOT of people who go to church every Sunday, and in fact their social lives are partially driven by their church families. Many of these people are northern transplants too.

While this is not "Bible Belt Central" religion and church are dropped into conversation way more frequently than up north. Even people I knew up north who were very religious and weekly if not daily churchgoers did not talk about it outside the church walls. Period.

North Piniellas Guy, don't you know there is a whole segment of the population that is free and easy with everyone and everything...till you don't agree with them??? They love everyone, but live only amongst people that are just like themselves.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:55 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
While this is not "Bible Belt Central" religion and church are dropped into conversation way more frequently than up north. Even people I knew up north who were very religious and weekly if not daily churchgoers did not talk about it outside the church walls. Period.
Did you know mostly Catholics up there? There are far more Protestants and Evangelicals in the South. The percentages are basically flipped. It may be that the Protestants and Evangelicals talk more about it than Catholics do.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:04 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Really? I know a LOT of people who go to church every Sunday, and in fact their social lives are partially driven by their church families. Many of these people are northern transplants too.

North Piniellas Guy, don't you know there is a whole segment of the population that is free and easy with everyone and everything...till you don't agree with them??? They love everyone, but live only amongst people that are just like themselves.
Wouldn't that be Chapel Hill?

All jokes aside I think there is less religious fervor in the triangle. I 100% equate that with education and higher thinking. I grew up in a mildly religious family. Sometimes we went to church some years we didnt but it was an underlying belief system that was used to gauge our actions in this world. It wasn't till my late 30's that I started putting the pieces together. There was all the contradictory physical evidence(evolution) and wars based on religious ideology that were anything but compassionate to fellow man. It was a multitude of things that I begin to see, it was like watching the charade unfold before my eyes. I was sad at first,it was like losing a security blanket. I'm still struggling with not having a "Faith" that makes everything all right and the promise of an after life. I don't know what's out there for me but the beauty is that I don't have too. This world moves on and my energy will burn... at least till a star needs replaced.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:44 AM

715 posts, read 889,388 times
Studies have shown that those who belong to a religious group are happier and live longer due to a sense of belonging. As far as the theological aspects of faith we all know the bible is not to be taking literally but I think we are a religious community. Humans have corrupted faith to satisfy their needs and ego.

As far as education is concerned count me in as one of the Phd's who is a believer but would never judge anyone for thinking otherwise and would not ask where you worship.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:58 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,432,987 times
Charlotte is noticeably not just more religiously conservative than the Triangle, but culturally conservative. The Southern Baptist Church is particularly dominant, vocal, and politically active in Charlotte in a way that is not matched in the more religiously diverse Triangle. Moreover, the Religious Right has much more political power in Charlotte than it does in the triangle, as reflected in its Nasty war on LGBT rights in CLT.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:47 AM

743 posts, read 826,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Charlotte is noticeably not just more religiously conservative than the Triangle, but culturally conservative. The Southern Baptist Church is particularly dominant, vocal, and politically active in Charlotte in a way that is not matched in the more religiously diverse Triangle. Moreover, the Religious Right has much more political power in Charlotte than it does in the triangle, as reflected in its Nasty war on LGBT rights in CLT.
Noticeably how? 9 of the 11 city council members are Democrats & McCory is likely the last Republican to get elected for the forseable future. Yeah theirs multiple churches in Charlotte but their are also Buddhist,Hindu,Sikh, Muslim,Jewish houses of worship along with a Jain Temple

Old 08-30-2015, 12:04 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,432,987 times
I would say it is much more noticeable in the fact that the vocal religious right was able to defeat a gay rights ordinance largely using overtly religious arguments, despite there being a Democratic majority. This would be unheard of in most major cities today. Moreover, some have noted that there are more anti gay protestors at Charlotte Pride events than you will find today at any other similar event in the country. The stats above reflect that Durham and Chapel Hill have a significantly smaller evangelical population, and my experience corroborates it.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:11 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,311,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Its people are far more religious than one might think. The black population is deeply religious there, as are people who were born and raised there. I know what some stats say, but in this case I can confirm they are not accurate of the true picture.

I do not understand the disdain for people of faith going on here. Equating faith with ignorance and the lack of faith with being superior/smarter. It's actually quite disturbing and I am not one who follows any religion at all. So much for being open minded and all.
As another poster mentioned, people from other areas are more likely to believe that religion is a personal matter - best kept to oneself and family. These same people tend to get tired of religion being crammed down their throats at every opportunity.

To address the original question: Yes, religion is somewhat less prevalent in the Triangle due to outsider influence, but it's certainly is still has a significant presence.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:19 PM

743 posts, read 826,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I would say it is much more noticeable in the fact that the vocal religious right was able to defeat a gay rights ordinance largely using overtly religious arguments, despite there being a Democratic majority. This would be unheard of in most major cities today. Moreover, some have noted that there are more anti gay protestors at Charlotte Pride events than you will find today at any other similar event in the country. The stats above reflect that Durham and Chapel Hill have a significantly smaller evangelical population, and my experience corroborates it.
The ordinance failed because 2 council members refused to vote for what they considered was watered down because it didn't include restrooms. What protest are you talking about because it didn't make any headlines that I'm aware of
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary