Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 11:08 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
For all of you that think this area is too big. There are at least 80 other counties in the state without urban development.
Plenty of other states, too, most of whom are not experiencing the sort of mass migration as NC. Housing is probably cheaper. Get moving before a bunch of folks from NJ ruin it all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 11:10 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
I can remember when the USA was about 180 million population.
Now it is about 325,000,000, if you count Ted Cruz!

Everyone, except Heart Throb, who came after me has dissipated my quality of life.
But, I guess they have to live somewhere.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:15 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,910,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I can remember when the USA was about 180 million population.
Now it is about 325,000,000, if you count Ted Cruz!

Everyone, except Heart Throb, who came after me has dissipated my quality of life.
But, I guess they have to live somewhere.
I guess what you are saying, is that you are old.

I think, technically, Ted counts as 1/2. I guess that is TBD.....LOL!

Old 01-14-2016, 12:10 PM

544 posts, read 852,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Raleigh traffic is nothing, especially

My biggest problem with Raleigh is the sprawl. I dislike seeing sprawl go on forever, especially in places like Clayton when there are tons of undeveloped areas inside Wake County closer to Raleigh.
The "You shouldn't complain about the traffic here" comments always crack me up. Saying that is pretty silly because there is always some place worse. A person in NY might say Raleigh drivers shouldn't complain, but I'm sure there is a guy in Mexico City or somewhere in China who can tell the guy in NY not to complain.

It's all relative to what the local standard is, and it's not going to get any better. Obviously, the road infrastructure hasn't kept up.

Re: Sprawl: If I was a developer, I'd be building in Clayton and less developed areas, too. That's where the cheaper land is. If you're not a high-end home builder who can make up the difference on high-land prices, I imagine you'd go elsewhere.

The growth in this area didn't really take off until the era of the suburb. Creating high-density areas is more challenging than re-developing density that was already there for the past 50-100 years.

And speaking of infrastructure, lets not forget that Falls Lake, Raleigh's primary drinking water source built in the early 80s was designed to have a usable life span of something like 50 years. That's not too far away. Remember in 2007 it almost ran dry and there are many more people here now.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:14 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,307,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
The "You shouldn't complain about the traffic here" comments always crack me up. Saying that is pretty silly because there is always some place worse. A person in NY might say Raleigh drivers shouldn't complain, but I'm sure there is a guy in Mexico City or somewhere in China who can tell the guy in NY not to complain.

It's all relative to what the local standard is, and it's not going to get any better. Obviously, the road infrastructure hasn't kept up.

Re: Sprawl: If I was a developer, I'd be building in Clayton and less developed areas, too. That's where the cheaper land is. If you're not a high-end home builder who can make up the difference on high-land prices, I imagine you'd go elsewhere.

The growth in this area didn't really take off until the era of the suburb. Creating high-density areas is more challenging than re-developing density that was already there for the past 50-100 years.

And speaking of infrastructure, lets not forget that Falls Lake, Raleigh's primary drinking water source built in the early 80s was designed to have a usable life span of something like 50 years. That's not too far away. Remember in 2007 it almost ran dry and there are many more people here now.
That may be true, but in this case, Raleigh traffic is really pretty incredible (in a good way) for the size of the city and the amount of growth. Heck, my experience is that Chapel Hill Traffic is worse than Raleigh (serious comment),

But not just NYC and LA and SF. Houston, Chicago, Charlotte, Atlanta, Austin, Midland-Odessa, Philly, and on and on and on. They're all noticeably worse.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:21 PM

703 posts, read 780,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
At least 1 member feels the way i do.

Overcrowding of North Hills has turned it into a piece of junk. With the new buildings the developer is putting up now thanks to a stupid, greedy city, nobody in their right mind who does not live there will want to shop there.

Harris-Teeter's parking is now getting jammed up while the folks are not visible in the store. Bruegger's is a nightmare thanks to their parking lot being taken away.

NJ is coming here to welcome its old population.
Yes, 1 person does agree with you. So please stop generalizing as if everyone else in the area did too.

Get offfa my lawn!!!

Old 01-14-2016, 12:51 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,425,232 times
What I pay in Cameron Village is cheap for being so close to Downtown. You'd pay much more in other more expensive cities. My Raleigh-Cary commute is also a breeze.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:01 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
Raleigh traffic isn't bad at all.

The massive influx of transplants cannot be good for any area. Overcrowding of schools, housing pricing increases (without the income increase), and even lack of housing.

Growth is good, but massive growth is not (just like a massive migration isn't good).

Old 01-14-2016, 02:21 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

The massive influx of transplants cannot be good for any area. Overcrowding of schools, housing pricing increases (without the income increase), and even lack of housing.

Growth is good, but massive growth is not (just like a massive migration isn't good).
Said everyone in 1975 after the first wave of IBMers was living all around North Hills.

Interestingly, Daniels Middle school was built in the mid 60s. Evidently, people were super concerned that the school system was wasting money building a school way out in the sticks like that where no one would ever want to live.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:11 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
It's all relative to what the local standard is
No it's not. The OP claimed that Raleigh was getting traffic like a big city, when in fact, it's not getting anything close to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary