Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:38 AM

341 posts, read 297,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I have noticed an uptick in u-turns in the last couple of years, mainly at roads where barriers were placed preventing people from turning left. So now you have people pulling out quickly into traffic, driving a few feet beyond the barrier, and then slamming on brakes so they can do a u-turn. (By the same token, I see "no left turn" signs at exits to places routinely ignored.

Guilty.

If there's nobody coming and no cops around, I'll do it just so I don't have to drive all the way down and turn around. Have even drove over a few medians just so I could go left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 11:20 AM

7 posts, read 5,563 times
As a recent transplant to the 'city' of Raleigh it's interesting to see different perspectives on the area. I can appreciate how natives and long-time residents can easily appreciate the many positives that this area affords. The positives here are easy to see, real estate is inexpensive to buy, schools are good, crime is low, there's no traffic, beautiful green spaces and the weather is fairly good.

However, those positives tend to cater to specific lifestyles, and for those coming from cities who are accustomed to renting and living life outside the confines of work and home, the disadvantages are also evident. Most of these disadvantages are closely tied to urban development, or lack thereof in Raleigh. I feel that the area lacks a diversity of urban walking districts where you can spend a weekend hanging out with people in the community, eating good food and window shopping, which isn't helped by the fact that the Raleigh downtown area is fairly anemic. Rents for newer, luxury apartments are comparable to some major metro areas. There's also the issue of nightlife outside of downtown, for those that are out beyond 10pm, there are very few areas that are alive beyond that mark. Also, jobs here pay significantly less than the same jobs is other major cities but as I said before you can buy a home for less.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's wrong to assume that Raleigh or any city for that matter will meet everyones expectations or desires. Raleigh specifically suits certain lifestyles better than others; working families can flourish here. But from my perspective, Raleigh is more a suburb than a city and I accept it for what it is and enjoy the benefits that it offers.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:00 PM

16 posts, read 17,783 times
You should visit Austin....2 million people in this small, super congested, over hyped up city, because lets face it: its not NY. No museums. No major sports teams. Not much to it except SXSW, "rolling hills" and mediocre food trucks. Try buying a house here and you'll be in line with all the other million people who put down offers. Try putting your kid in pre-school and you'll be on a wait list because its THAT crowded. Yes, there's more but its been one huge disappointment after the other. Now I'm not so sure about Raleigh. Was considering NC but I don't want to deal with another huge let down.

Last edited by Em678; 01-20-2016 at 12:12 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 02:49 PM

703 posts, read 780,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nash04 View Post

Basically the only thing that I dislike of this area, are the people moving from the North and basically driving like they still think they're in their old area. I've noticed nowadays the average highway speed is not 65 but 75+ and no cops around unless you're on State highways like 64 heading towards Ashboro. The worst that I've been seeing growing around the local area are drivers going through Red lights, making illegal U-turns. Have you noticed lately we've been seeing more hit and run? No respect at all.

Oh! by the way, I've lived in LA, Detroit, Vegas, SLC, and Philadelphia and basically driven through all the US states except for North Dakota so I do have some background.
Curious to know exactly how you've determined that it's the "drivers from the north" who are the main culprits you're citing here ? Do they all have "Born and Bred in Joissey" bumper stickers, or do you hear them yelling "fuggetaboutit" as they're speeding by you?

Old 01-20-2016, 03:37 PM

204 posts, read 289,376 times
I used to live up North, PA and drive to NJ, NY on a daily basis so I'm used to seeing their bad habits. Don't get me wrong, it's not all North drivers that are guilty but allot of them are.

Also some of them still have their PA, NJ and NY plates even though they've been here over a year and I know that because they live in the same complex that I do.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:06 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,545,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
Raleigh seems to have all the bad things from the bigger cities like high rent, expensive, traffic.
It's all relative... people were complaining about these back in the 1980s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash04 View Post
Basically the only thing that I dislike of this area, are the people moving from the North and basically driving like they still think they're in their old area. I've noticed nowadays the average highway speed is not 65 but 75+
I think you forget that stock car racing is North Carolina's official state sport -- and that the local boys are no strangers to aggressive driving:

Quote:
[In 1996], the Republican Party, seeking to capitalize on [Richard Petty's] popularity, made him its candidate for North Carolina's Secretary of State. He lost. During the campaign, Democrats made much of the fact that Petty used NASCAR tactics on I-85 when, boxed in by a slow commuter, Petty tapped him from the rear. - ESPN
It may seem counter-intuitive, but road deaths are statistically more likely to happen in the West and South, whereas many of the places with the fewest road deaths are in the Northeast corridor. A huge reason for this is that people drive less, and slower, in the urban Northeast vs. the rural South.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:46 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
The one thing I do see a change in recently is people driving under the speed limit while actually doing unsafe things. That does seem tied to a major influx of people from outside the area, not from the north, but from other countries and is mostly due to a large number of adults being brand new to driving. They drive like teenagers but without the feeling of invincibility or ability to quickly learn.
It is also related to people being unfamiliar with the (admittedly odd and sometimes random) street names, where a name can change when you go through a stoplight. I have to wonder if it's also a more universal thing (i.e. not just here) related to GPS, because I for one am often given wrong info by my GPS as far as when "my" street is approaching, and either overshoot or undershoot it because it doesn't semn very accurate in the "400 ft away" range--you could be right up on it or 1000 feet with another street in between.

And of course, the increased (and increasing) traffic on roads not built to hold the volume makes any small traffic issue more major.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:49 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em678 View Post
You should visit Austin....2 million people in this small, super congested, over hyped up city, because lets face it: its not NY. No museums. No major sports teams. Not much to it except SXSW, "rolling hills" and mediocre food trucks. Try buying a house here and you'll be in line with all the other million people who put down offers. Try putting your kid in pre-school and you'll be on a wait list because its THAT crowded. Yes, there's more but its been one huge disappointment after the other. Now I'm not so sure about Raleigh. Was considering NC but I don't want to deal with another huge let down.
Well you've pretty much described Raleigh (and many newcomers' reaction to it) so cross us off your list if you're expecting another NY. Please.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:53 AM

16 posts, read 17,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Well you've pretty much described Raleigh (and many newcomers' reaction to it) so cross us off your list if you're expecting another NY. Please.
I've lived in Manhattan...not interested in another city like that nor did my post imply that. I was just stating that Austin doesn't live up to the hype. I know Raleigh isn't NY. Never will be. I have a 3 yr old and another on the way so my priorities have changed quite a bit and I'm in no way interested in another NY. Asheville seems to be where we want to be...Raleigh is definitely off the list.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:23 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em678 View Post
I've lived in Manhattan...not interested in another city like that nor did my post imply that. I was just stating that Austin doesn't live up to the hype. I know Raleigh isn't NY. Never will be. I have a 3 yr old and another on the way so my priorities have changed quite a bit and I'm in no way interested in another NY. Asheville seems to be where we want to be...Raleigh is definitely off the list.
Raleigh and all of NC do not live up to the hype. If you can find work there, Ashville might be your cup of tea.

We lived in Manhattan 10 years and seriously miss the great public transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary