Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 02:45 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Yeah really, let me tell you about the time our two friends, the actuary and the lawyer, moved back here from the DC area because they didn't feel like they could afford a decent home there. Like, unrenovated 50-100 year old houses of about 1500 SF were $500,000+.
DC was always high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 04:07 AM

363 posts, read 433,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
We can control growth but must stamp out a lot of greed to do it
Exactly, another thing I keep hearing is weed will most likely become legal in NC soon. I don't know how true that is nor am I trying to start an argument about weed legalization. But if it does become legal, I can see a huge number of people moving here or at least it will motivate a lot of people to move here which will increase all of the cons I've listed.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:46 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
Exactly, another thing I keep hearing is weed will most likely become legal in NC soon. I don't know how true that is nor am I trying to start an argument about weed legalization. But if it does become legal, I can see a huge number of people moving here or at least it will motivate a lot of people to move here which will increase all of the cons I've listed.
Still would have a long way to go. Raleigh is basically heaven on earth compared to other busier/more expensive cities.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:49 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,381,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
It can easily stop if the government stops bribing companies to move into overcrowded areas and makes developers pay upfront for infrastructure needs they create.

We need jobs in high unemployment counties, not this area.

We can control growth but must stamp out a lot of greed to do it.

Years ago, one Western state even posted billboards on their highways saying "Don't Californicate Our State". We might try "Don't Jerseyfornicate Our State".
And how are those counties with high unemployment supposed to lure the big companies to build there without significant tax breaks or incentives? Or is it ok when other counties use "greed" to get what they need, just as long as we don't? Doesn't seem to make sense.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:09 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
If "weed" did become legal in NC (which I severely doubt anytime soon, considering how much or Legislature is in bed with the Religious Right), it would only happen after numerous other states had done so, neutralizing the "move here to get legal pot", because it would already be legal in most other places. This state is way behind the curve on social issues, despite a moderate population.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:19 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
And how are those counties with high unemployment supposed to lure the big companies to build there without significant tax breaks or incentives? Or is it ok when other counties use "greed" to get what they need, just as long as we don't? Doesn't seem to make sense.
The giving of incentives would be useful in those cases. A nice auto plant could really benefit a county with high unemployment and low paying jobs.

In our situation, the employment areas and transportation are saturated. More people without payment upfront puts a burden on all taxpayers. Witness how the toll rats have infested NC and are already raising fees and trying to expand operations. Without the expansion of companies into already saturated areas, these new roads would not be needed.

Hell will freeze over before good commuter rail can come to unburden the highways. With the dispersion of workplaces in sites like RTP, extensive circulator bus service would be needed to take rail passengers to and from the terminal.

This area was not planned to support so many jobs, and efforts need to be made to discourage expansion.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:50 AM

204 posts, read 289,376 times
Been here now for 6 years and have the love/hate feelings.
Love this area cause they have so much to offer for outdoor entertainment.

Basically the only thing that I dislike of this area, are the people moving from the North and basically driving like they still think they're in their old area. I've noticed nowadays the average highway speed is not 65 but 75+ and no cops around unless you're on State highways like 64 heading towards Ashboro. The worst that I've been seeing growing around the local area are drivers going through Red lights, making illegal U-turns. Have you noticed lately we've been seeing more hit and run? No respect at all.

Oh! by the way, I've lived in LA, Detroit, Vegas, SLC, and Philadelphia and basically driven through all the US states except for North Dakota so I do have some background.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:31 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Not to beat a dead horse, but I can assure you that those issues have been here LONG before you got here. 80 has been the de facto speed limit on I-40 since the late 80s if not before.

I personally have not seen an increase in u turns or red light running. There have been a couple,of hit and runs that made the news, but I don't see some major trend out there. As long as people have made bad decisions out of fear, people have hit and run.

The one thing I do see a change in recently is people driving under the speed limit while actually doing unsafe things. That does seem tied to a major influx of people from outside the area, not from the north, but from other countries and is mostly due to a large number of adults being brand new to driving. They drive like teenagers but without the feeling of invincibility or ability to quickly learn.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:15 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,774,315 times
I have noticed an uptick in u-turns in the last couple of years, mainly at roads where barriers were placed preventing people from turning left. So now you have people pulling out quickly into traffic, driving a few feet beyond the barrier, and then slamming on brakes so they can do a u-turn. (By the same token, I see "no left turn" signs at exits to places routinely ignored.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:29 AM

204 posts, read 289,376 times
If it's safe to make a U-Turn and there's no posted sign then it's ok but what I've seen more lately is they are making those turn in an Unsafe and Mark no U-turn area.
You're correct we have lots of drivers from different geography and some do tend to drive slow either due to be insecure or they're texting but I drive between Winston-Salem and Raleigh on a regular basis and that's where I see more speeders.

I've seen it more nowadays on 40 between 15-501 thru Wade exit where the average is 70+

Totally understandable heading between Raleigh and Winston-Salem since some parts of the highway has enough lanes to do so and some parts are boring but there should be some limit.

True this has been an ongoing issue for quite a length of time but it's still not right. Guess that I was brought up to keep it around 8-9 over the limit but not 15-20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary