Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 06:52 PM

363 posts, read 433,473 times

Advertisements

This is just my opinion or at least from what I am noticing. Raleigh seems to have all the bad things from the bigger cities like high rent, expensive, traffic. But, it's lacking the pros of the big cities like more entertainment, vibrant places, live concerts, more places open at night or more "lively". I know that it's not as bad and expensive as some of the bigger cities like up north, but I can see it going that route. I honestly can't picture Raleigh in 5-10 years from now. It might get more entertaining places, but in no way I can see it less crowded or more affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 06:55 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,425,232 times
I disagree. I moved here 5 months ago and love that Raleigh is a big city without any of those things. Raleigh is getting more expensive, but it isn't there yet. Rental prices really aren't bad, and traffic is great. Life is peaceful here. There's a lot going on Downtown as well, I'm down there multiple nights a week having fun. But I do agree that in 5-10 years, this place could be too congested for what it offers.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:38 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,336 times
If you think Raleigh has bad traffic, I have to wonder how many big cities you've actually seen.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:47 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
This is just my opinion or at least from what I am noticing. Raleigh seems to have all the bad things from the bigger cities like high rent, expensive, traffic. But, it's lacking the pros of the big cities like more entertainment, vibrant places, live concerts, more places open at night or more "lively". I know that it's not as bad and expensive as some of the bigger cities like up north, but I can see it going that route. I honestly can't picture Raleigh in 5-10 years from now. It might get more entertaining places, but in no way I can see it less crowded or more affordable.
I think the issue is that Raleigh as a "city" is limited, because it is largely suburban. However, that is exactly what brings many people to the area. That is its charm for people looking for a slower paced, relaxing small city. The con to that is that as more people pile in, cost of housing continues to go up and you are correct that the stuff that some people see as pros to cities will be lacking. I think it is just a matter of what people are looking for in a city. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:31 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,774,315 times
What are you comparing it to that has more going on, is cheaper, less traffic and great job opportunities? And why aren't you there?

In my experience, rent/real estate is cheaper and traffic is much better than larger cities. Much.
As far as live music and the like, there's usually a few things going on that interest me every week even in slow periods of year like Jan/Feb. When it warms up, it isn't at all unusual for me to find 3-4 things on the same night that sound fun.
On top of that, in sports there's an incredible amount of college sports, there's the Hurricanes, Railhawks, etc.
There's art exhibits on a regular basis. Festivals. Etc.

There's way more stuff I'd like to do than I have time to do.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:49 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
I agree.

Look at the lowlives that seem to be attracted here now. Sheriff just added drug agents because this area was now a major distribution point.

Many more serious crimes like the murder of the pawnbroker in Mini-City.

Growth sucks. Raleigh was so much better years ago.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:06 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
We'll miss you when you leave.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:29 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
We'll miss you when you leave.
Hey!
Don't let him go until he pays his impact fees. In arrears, with interest.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:40 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
I agree.

Look at the lowlives that seem to be attracted here now. Sheriff just added drug agents because this area was now a major distribution point.

Many more serious crimes like the murder of the pawnbroker in Mini-City.

Dude, take a chill pill sometime. Or just head somewhere that you can be happy.

And if you think MINI City is just NOW getting bad, ha, child please!
And I use bad as a relative term here.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:49 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
How many years ago? The year before or after you added to the growth in Raleigh? Just curious on the timeline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary