Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 12:33 PM

27 posts, read 78,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Hello and welcome to the area. You are right about Mills Park, that cap will not be lifted anytime soon. Which area are you viewing as "East Cary"? I was confused when you said it was more expensive and had less inventory than West Cary. Are there specific neighborhoods you are looking at there?

From Bella Casa to Lufkin is a distance, I know someone moving near that area and their child will be starting Lufkin. You always have the option to drive your child if you are concerned about the length of the bus ride, and some can be long. Lufkin I believe has one of the earliest start times, so the bus is very early too. Another thing to realize is that you would be given a calendar option. So if Lufkin is your base assignment you would have a traditional calendar option, for my friend it was Apex Middle. They want YR so they are happy with Lufkin.
I was looking at area near Davis Drive school. The resales home in 4+ bed ranges are 600K+. May be its due to school. Apex Middle is Capped for next year so not sure if we can get calendar option for Lufkin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 12:51 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillicon_brain View Post
I was looking at area near Davis Drive school. The resales home in 4+ bed ranges are 600K+. May be its due to school. Apex Middle is Capped for next year so not sure if we can get calendar option for Lufkin.
Yes. You will struggle in your price range for newer construction in a SFH in the areas where you are looking.

If you are open to an older home with good build quality that's been renovated some, you can likely find something good.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:33 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,657 times
Quote:
Thanks for suggestion. But it looks way too far away from RTP. I'll be working over there.

Any particular thing you want to recommend about West Lake middle or the area nearby? My search was mainly focus on Cary and Apex. I went to 12Oaks in Holly spring, like it but high HOA and distance was the problem.
I have plenty of neighbors who commute to RTP. They decided that their money went further enough to justify the difference in the drive. I left NW Cary as well (I commute to the Regency Park area and my office is equidistant from the two locations).
We are WITHIN Cary Limits. Annexed in 2007. Mail addressed to Apex 27539, taxes and services like any other Cary resident. We are 5 minutes beyond Woodcreek in Holly Springs.
Walking distance to West Lake Elementary and Middle, and Middle Creek High. Yes, Virginia, kids can and do walk to school.
1 mile south of the next leg of 540. Currently an easier drive to the 540 terminus than the 55 Bypass to 12 Oaks, which will only get worse. Ours will improve substantially a couple of years from now.
Larger lots. Think closer to .30 acres in the Woodlands section of the Park At West Lake.
Great neighbors. Pretty low turnover. Tremendous recreation close by.
https://www.townofcary.org/Departmen...chool_Park.htm
Library under construction.
More shopping coming all the time, including Publix and a proposed Fresh Market.
An easy drive up 401 to Downtown Raleigh.
An easy shot to the beach, back roads to 40/42 in Clayton and straight down 40.
What we have is $200,000 more expensive in 27519. Is it the same thing? Nope. I think it's better.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:57 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
There are resales well under $600k in the Davis Drive Middle zone. You'll have to be ready because they go fast though.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:07 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,544,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The area for DDMS and GHHS is still, technically, West Cary.

East Cary is going to be the area closer to East Cary Middle School, really. If you look up West Cary Middle School, you'll find that that USED TO BE the area of Cary called "West Cary," but the town has really grown since then.

In reality, all the middle schools in Cary are pretty darned good. The high schools are all good high schools. Move wherever you like, really. Ditto this for Apex.

Also... carpool lines can be long around here. You might be in line for 10 minutes... you might be in for 5, you might be in for 15. Depends.

Isn't that the truth. I thought the ones for Mills Park were bad as they sometimes stretched all the way back to the stoplight, then I had to navigate the 2 for Panther Creek and they make the Mills Park ones like living in paradise by contrast. I don't know who or why they designed them the way they did, but efficiency was not part of the equation (probably due to the Mods there, but still).

Old 03-07-2016, 02:09 PM

326 posts, read 385,149 times
Quote:
Thanks for suggestion. But it looks way too far away from RTP. I'll be working over there.

Any particular thing you want to recommend about West Lake middle or the area nearby? My search was mainly focus on Cary and Apex. I went to 12Oaks in Holly spring, like it but high HOA and distance was the problem.
I guess it just depends on how far you're willing to drive. As FC says above, lots of people seem to live in that area and drive to RTP. I, for one, wouldn't do it. We looked at a neighborhood in that area (Brighton Forest) but decided it was just too far of a drive to RTP for us. The 540 extension will help when it's built, but that'll just mean even more tolls. I don't mind paying some tolls, but I'd like the option to not have to pay them. I feel like down in that area (and in 12Oaks, etc.) you have practically no option but to take the toll roads because the alternatives are way too backed up with traffic. You'd probably be looking at $125-$150/mo in tolls for each driver going to RTP.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Isn't that the truth. I thought the ones for Mills Park were bad as they sometimes stretched all the way back to the stoplight, then I had to navigate the 2 for Panther Creek and they make the Mills Park ones like living in paradise by contrast. I don't know who or why they designed them the way they did, but efficiency was not part of the equation (probably due to the Mods there, but still).
The ones at Green Hope are horrible. And, I swear, the parents who are first in line are the ones whose kids take FOREVER to get out to the carpool area after school.

If I knew my kid was consistently late, I would not hold up the line by being first.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There are resales well under $600k in the Davis Drive Middle zone. You'll have to be ready because they go fast though.
I think the OP wants to say under 400k. If he was wanting to stay under 600k, I bet he could buy a new house. Not a luxury home or a custom, necessarily, but would be definitely doable for a home 5 years or newer in West Cary.

But, for 400k or less? Nope. Need to go older for that. Can be done, but not for a new SFH in West Cary.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:23 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think the OP wants to say under 400k. If he was wanting to stay under 600k, I bet he could buy a new house. Not a luxury home or a custom, necessarily, but would be definitely doable for a home 5 years or newer in West Cary.

But, for 400k or less? Nope. Need to go older for that. Can be done, but not for a new SFH in West Cary.
He mentions $600k resales in post 11. Maybe a typo.

I'll never understand why so many kids around here need to be driven to and fro but it is a phenomenon a Californian will be used to.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
He mentions $600k resales in post 11. Maybe a typo.

I'll never understand why so many kids around here need to be driven to and fro but it is a phenomenon a Californian will be used to.
Right now, I'm waiting for WCPSS to realize my kids are IN their assigned school and eligible for a bus and it is MISERABLE. I hate HS carpool.

Hate.

LOL.

If my kids had a bus (especially in the afternoons) they surely would be on that thing.

ETA: I think that he meant that they were 600k+ and this put them out of the range he was wanting to spend for a resale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary