Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 08:08 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,228,024 times

Advertisements

We have to start a movement to SAVE THE CANES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 08:23 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
We have to start a movement to SAVE THE CANES!
Buy tix.
Season ticket members started picking seats tonight. I'll be there tomorrow night.
Absolutely nothing will propel a movement like a Loud, Proud, Hurricane Crowd!

Old 06-07-2016, 08:29 PM

715 posts, read 888,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
A Downtown arena would instantly take away PNC Arenas unofficial title as "Entertainment venue of the Triangle". In other words, all the non sporting events like Concerts/Disney on Ice/Circus and so on would in all likelihood move to the DT Arena along with the NHL.

So whats the issue here? Well as someone already pointed out, DT Raleigh at this time is probably not ready to handle the traffic that would come with these events. Someone will have to build a number of parking decks, reshape and/or figure out what changes to make to the current infrastructure to ease the traffic flow in and out of the city core to better accommodate patrons, and immediately get on the ball for a light rail plan and actually build the rail.

Another person mentioned distance. People from Durham and Chapel Hill who want to go see Bon Jovi or Elton John are now going to have to drive an additional 15-20 minutes to get to DT Raleigh, take another 5-10 minutes to park, and another 5-10 minutes to walk to the venue. While PNC Arenas location may not be the most ideal spot, it is perhaps the best location to try and please the people in Orange and Durham and Western Wake counties, which is where a good chunk of the population of the Triangle live.

Simply put, it's probably easier at this time to upgrade PNC Arena, and build an entertainment and shopping complex around the arena rather than trying to cram an arena on a tiny strip of land in DT.

I get the impression that Jim Goodnight and John Sall are simply not interested in purchasing the team, because if they wanted too, one or both of them probably would have at least purchased a stake in the team by now. Ideally yes, they have the money to do so, but do they want to buy the team? Doesn't seem that way. Desperate times though call for desperate measures, and they might be our only hope.
True given Gillings is out of the area with the Q sale so will their support of the team. Jim seems to be the last hope as he cares about the area.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:10 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The Bulls are owned by a media mogul and visionary.
The Bulls and Canes have similar attendance figures.
Arguably, the Canes are quite as popular as the Bulls.

Those two have higher annual attendance records than any other sports teams locally. One gets coverage. One hardly does.
First bolded comment was pretty much my point. A professional "A-league" team having similar attendance to a minor league baseball team (that has a LOT more events each year, a cheaper facility, and is in a smaller city) is not a very good record.

Second point I acknowledged and agree. That's sad, but if it doesn't change, then it makes it harder for them to succeed. Fair? Right? Just? Probably not, but it is the reality, and either needs to change, or will continue to shape the outcome.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:57 AM

95 posts, read 131,254 times
Karmanos's personal financial issues aside, the team really just needs to win to draw more fans. When the team is good, attendance is good or at least passable. When the team is bad for several years in a row, attendance is bad. With a few rare exceptions, this is true for virtually every team in every sport, both professional and college. In other words, I don't think the team's financial woes are related to this market -- I think the Triangle can and has supported a NHL franchise. I'm confident that the NHL recognizes this.

I also don't think it's the venue. While it would be cool if more things were happening around PNC Arena (either by virtue of its location elsewhere in Raleigh or by virtue of development around the existing arena), the Arena itself is in excellent shape for venue that is nearly 20 years old.

Ideally, the Canes get sold to someone with more financial solvency, who is willing to recommit to this market and will make smart hires in the front office. The fans will be energized, the product on the ice should improve, and the Canes will play in Raleigh for years and years to come.

Again, if the above fails to happen and the team moves, I really don't think it represents a failure on the part of the Triangle or of PNC Arena. I think it is solely attributable to Karmanos's personal finances. And that would suck. Again, I'm hopeful the NHL realizes this and would not allow a franchise relocation just because the owner is broke.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:09 AM

307 posts, read 377,367 times
There was a downtown arena in the vision plan that the town council put out late last year. It's of course just an idea and has no backing yet, but it seems like they have at least though about it.

Raleigh downtown proposal calls for new sports and entertainment center | News & Observer

Old 06-08-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
First bolded comment was pretty much my point. A professional "A-league" team having similar attendance to a minor league baseball team (that has a LOT more events each year, a cheaper facility, and is in a smaller city) is not a very good record.

Second point I acknowledged and agree. That's sad, but if it doesn't change, then it makes it harder for them to succeed. Fair? Right? Just? Probably not, but it is the reality, and either needs to change, or will continue to shape the outcome.
Well, the actual first point was that the Bulls are owned by a media mogul and a visionary.
Jim Goodmon truly is rooted and heartfully invested locally and has a major league game of his own.
And, he can generate his own press, where Karmanos seems always to be on the outs and the Canes dissed and ignored by outlets.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:38 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, the actual first point was that the Bulls are owned by a media mogul and a visionary.
Jim Goodmon truly is rooted and heartfully invested locally and has a major league game of his own.
And, he can generate his own press, where Karmanos seems always to be on the outs and the Canes dissed and ignored by outlets.
I don't think we are disagreeing. You are giving the reasons, and I'm just saying that no matter what the reason, if the outcome doesn't change, it's not good for the future of the Canes in Raleigh.

As a non-fan, I am looking at this from 30,000 feet or higher. Your understanding of the details is far greater than mine. I don't have a horse in the race (really don't care), but for the sake of the fans, and for any other good the team brings our region, I hope that the outcome can change.

Sounds to me like the Cane's need a Goodman advocating for them...

Old 06-08-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I don't think we are disagreeing. You are giving the reasons, and I'm just saying that no matter what the reason, if the outcome doesn't change, it's not good for the future of the Canes in Raleigh.

As a non-fan, I am looking at this from 30,000 feet or higher. Your understanding of the details is far greater than mine. I don't have a horse in the race (really don't care), but for the sake of the fans, and for any other good the team brings our region, I hope that the outcome can change.

Sounds to me like the Cane's need a Goodman advocating for them...
No, not disagreeing....
I'm just sucking down too much coffee and waiting.for.that.dang.elusive.telephone.call...... .

Old 06-08-2016, 08:58 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,290 times
This thread is hilarious. The Canes are not going anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary