Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 10:50 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times

Advertisements

the snakes are known for seeking out folks who stick out, like with repetitive topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 10:50 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Best not move to any place with trees lest one of those bad boys falls on you!
Or the desert with it's scorpions.

Or Florida with it's palmetto bugs.

Or any apartment building because they all have roaches.

Or go to the circus because they have clowns.

Etc etc etc

Old 10-28-2017, 11:11 AM

35 posts, read 43,417 times
I live in the county on a few acres of land and have done so for over 10 years. I have chickens, and because of the eggs, attracts snakes. There are a few rules to follow to keep snakes under control. The main one being to keep the grass cut. If you have tall grass you will have snakes. Keep the hiding places minimal. If you see black snakes, leave them alone. Black snakes keep the mice and poisonous snakes under control. Only had to kill one black snake and that is because it was stealing my chicken eggs. Then I secured my coop a little better and checked for the eggs more frequently. That does not mean I see black snakes slithering all around. I hardly ever see them, but I know they are out there because I don't have any mice and I occasionally see the discarded skin when they shed.
Now with that said the popular things to do cheaply here are to go to the rivers with your family. Unfortunately everything else costs a fortune to do. There are dangerous snakes by the rivers. In the trees and on the banks. I went one time to the Eno river and was having a fantastic time when someone pointed out a snake in the tree. I damnnear broke my neck getting out of dodge. Never to return. So stay away from the river banks and lakes.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:24 AM

54 posts, read 46,697 times
I'm not a fan of snakes either.

I think if you read a little about sensible ways to avoid a bite, it will set your mind at ease.
If you don't live out in the woods, the odds you'll see one isn't huge, the odds you'll see one up close and personal is less, the odds you'll be bitten is even less, the odds you'll die/be maimed by not getting medical treatment in time is even smaller.

But at the end of the day, if you think you're always subconsciously afraid even if your conscious understands you're not really in danger.... you're not going to be not enjoying your backyard, then best not to move here.

Which is why I don't
Quote:
go to the circus because they have clowns.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:51 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Or go to the circus because they have clowns.
Well, now this actually makes sense.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:07 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
I saw more snakes in MA than I do here. Granted they weren't poisonous, but I think I've seen maybe two snakes here in over two years. Neither were copperheads.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:48 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
As I mentioned on the other thread your chances of getting struck by lightning and dying in NC are much higher than the chances of you getting bitten by a snake and dying. It just really doesn't happen very much at all. Now you can get bit and it hurts and you go to the hospital and they fix you up, but you don't die. People do get struck by lightning in NC just about every year.

You're in FAR more danger just getting in your car and taking a drive anywhere in the US.

MOST people don't see snakes. If you spend a lot of time outside and in nature and know where to look for them you can spot plenty, but they like to keep hidden and they don't want to see you. Really, you're in more danger from ticks who do want to bite you than you are from a snake that wants to avoid you.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:12 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,936,123 times
Get out the snake boots

Old 10-28-2017, 04:55 PM

346 posts, read 339,475 times
lol is this a serious post?

Old 10-28-2017, 05:15 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
My back yard right now - no big deal:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary