Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 06:38 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I've seen a lot but I feel like the problem is in no way bad enough that it should keep someone from moving here. If you move to a wooded area near a creek and have a backyard or need to walk a dog in the evening, you'll want to look for them, but that doesn't HAVE to be your situation.
The thing is though, it’s more like a bee sting to a dog...you can take the dog to an emergency room vet and get a $1200 dose of Benadryl. Or do it yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shares View Post
The spiders on the other hand... A man eater tried to attack me the other day.
actually, I like the enormous spiders. I’ve never seen one off it’s web...large, pretty webs with colorful halloweeny spiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 07:01 PM

Location: Blue Ridge Mountain's among my beautiful Black Bears
3 posts, read 6,268 times
I live in Blowing Rock,NC FOR OVER 15 YRS ...I have only seen 2 snakes in that time an I can't remember when there was a snake bite in the news here in the last 5 or 10 yrs . So Move up here to the georgeous Mountains

Old 10-29-2017, 07:25 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,606,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The thing is though, it’s more like a bee sting to a dog...you can take the dog to an emergency room vet and get a $1200 dose of Benadryl. Or do it yourself.
Usually...but not always. Always take a dog to the vet for it. Some dogs metabolize the venom differently - a neighbor's dog was very seriously ill.

They won't end up in the hospital for days like we might, though.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:27 PM

43 posts, read 35,694 times
I am moving too and I am officially freaked out now... but then I went through this very same fear before moving to Texas because I dreaded I would have alligators literally hanging out in my backyard - thankfully I never met one in 4 years. I am from Rome and I am seriously scared of spiders and snakes. This thread was not good for me! LOL

Old 10-30-2017, 03:11 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,240,205 times
Movedback to Triangle Area in NC 20 years ago. Have not seen a snake. I have seen a black bear and quite a few Rednecks.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:25 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,503,397 times
I've spent a significant amount of time in the woods around the Triangle and in the mountains and Uwharries and I've never actually even seen a snake. I've lived in NC for nearly 6 years. Seems like a silly reason not to move somewhere.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:33 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
I'm a little surprised at that LordHelmit, but maybe you need to be attuned to see snakes. They're masters of camo. We do see them every year right here in our neighborhood in the middle of Chapelboro.

There's actually a smashed and flattened roadkill baby copperhead on the cross street with mine. Saw it yesterday walking the dog. Still had the chartreuse tail, it was just flat as a pancake.

We have a lot of wildlife in our neighborhood. Tons of deer (who constantly raid my birdfeeders — I've got to relocate them up higher or something), chipmunks, possums, raccoons, hawks, barred owls, squirrels and a variety of songbirds, foxes, lizards and skinks, tree frogs (boy those suckers can sing in the summer), box turtles, and a variety of snakes. I've seen most of those in my own yard and the foxes in the neighborhood.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMamaBear View Post
I live in Blowing Rock,NC FOR OVER 15 YRS ...I have only seen 2 snakes in that time an I can't remember when there was a snake bite in the news here in the last 5 or 10 yrs . So Move up here to the georgeous Mountains
Keep your eyes out. You've got rattlers up there. We see snakes in Boone not infrequently. Had a small dead one in our house this year (really tiny) and have seen snake skins around our house, too. Just because you don't spot them doesn't mean they aren't there. My husband has a funny story from when he was a kid about seeing a rattler in the mountains when he was hiking with a friend and his dad and running all the way back down the mountain!

My daughter has also seen a rattler when hiking when she was in 3rd grade on a school field trip.

My brother also has seen rattlers on the trails.

We don't have those here in the Triangle, just the copperheads. You've also got some big ol' bears up there!

Old 10-30-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Lived here my whole life and never been bitten by a snake. Sure they’re around but if you leave them alone they’ll do the same. And I’m afraid of them too...I just don’t go near them and it works out fine.
That's pretty much it. Keep your distance and wear gloves and boots if you're poking around in snakey places (woodpiles, rock piles, tall grass or ivy — basically anywhere that you can't see).

I have never been bitten, but I do know folks who have been and it's because of the above. One was doing yardwork as it got dark and went to move a pile of sticks, but one of the sticks was a baby copperhead. One was taking out the garbage at night barefoot and stepped right on one.

My hound dog has been bitten several times and lived to tell the tale. She's always poking her nose where she shouldn't. You'd think she'd learn...

Old 10-30-2017, 09:47 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreatheJoy View Post
I am moving too and I am officially freaked out now... but then I went through this very same fear before moving to Texas because I dreaded I would have alligators literally hanging out in my backyard - thankfully I never met one in 4 years. I am from Rome and I am seriously scared of spiders and snakes. This thread was not good for me! LOL
Texas has as many if not more snakes so I wouldn't worry too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary