Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 11:11 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,875,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Gee, I wish for a take-out place across from the park...
The high end asian spot that was supposed to go into that space was a terrible idea for that location, I think a nice cafe something similar to the root cellar in Chapel Hill would be perfect, or even a taco joint would be great. Something that's adult and kid friendly since it's right across from the downtown park and that's the people that they need to be focusing on when thinking of a concept to go in that space.
Tons of families are gonna be in the park, at the library, and the art center, so their original plan just doesn't make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 11:57 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,992,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
The high end asian spot that was supposed to go into that space was a terrible idea for that location, I think a nice cafe something similar to the root cellar in Chapel Hill would be perfect, or even a taco joint would be great. Something that's adult and kid friendly since it's right across from the downtown park and that's the people that they need to be focusing on when thinking of a concept to go in that space.
Tons of families are gonna be in the park, at the library, and the art center, so their original plan just doesn't make sense.
Why do you say "was supposed to go?" As far as I know, this is still moving forward. The town agreed to a lease with Chuong a few months ago and permits have been issued to fit out the building including some internal changes to make it more workable as a restaurant (like moving the restrooms).

Old 08-12-2019, 01:27 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,545,044 times
Memories from 12/15/2017:

https://carycitizen.com/2017/12/15/c...ouse-and-more/

quote:
Sams-Jones House

Out of five applicants, town staff selected chef Michael Chuong and VVVC Inc. to be the new business at the historic Sams-Jones House in Downtown Cary. This would see a payment of $579,500 to the Town of Cary over the next ten years as part of the lease.

Chuong ran An in Cary for six years before leaving to run Elements in Chapel Hill, which is still in operation. Chuong would still run Elements in addition to this new restaurant, but Downtown Development Manager Ted Boyd said this would be a new restaurant concept.

“This is not An 2.0 or Elements 2.0,” Boyd said.

Town Council voted to approve the lease unanimously.

- - - - - - - - -
https://www.yelp.com/biz/elements-chapel-hill

Old 08-12-2019, 03:23 PM

For some reason I thought the lease finalization was much more recent than that, but guess I was wrong.

There have been several building permits issued this year. $75,000 worth back in February, and some minor alterations last month. I don't get by there very frequently, but I do recall seeing some activity going on in the back in recent months.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:12 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,875,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Why do you say "was supposed to go?" As far as I know, this is still moving forward. The town agreed to a lease with Chuong a few months ago and permits have been issued to fit out the building including some internal changes to make it more workable as a restaurant (like moving the restrooms).
Ok I thought maybe it didn't work out because I swore it's been over a year since they originally announced it and I haven't seen any activity there.
That said I still think it's a mistake, I don't want it to fail when I say that, just don't understand the logic, on a side note, now that the library is almost done, has anything been said about what they plan to do with the old library location.
In all honesty I think they should go the food hall route. Not like Morgan or Transfer Co as far as size and the amount of vendors, but maybe a good 6 food vendors(similar to the food hall in Chapel Hill)(one of which a breakfast spot) would be cool. If they were to do something like this, giving people more casual options, then going back to the original topic, the high end asian spot at sam-jones house won't be so bad,when they're more relaxed offerings beside it.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
on a side note, now that the library is almost done, has anything been said about what they plan to do with the old library location.
The mayor has said it will most likely be torn down and redeveloped as mixed-use intended to blend in with other downtown developments.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:12 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
The mayor has said it will most likely be torn down and redeveloped as mixed-use intended to blend in with other downtown developments.

Needs to have a 6-8 story tower with a rooftop restaurant and a 360 degree view.

I wish.
I don't see that happening.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Needs to have a 6-8 story tower with a rooftop restaurant and a 360 degree view.

I wish.
I don't see that happening.
You know that would never fly...way out of scale with Academy Street. But 3, maybe 4 floors certainly could.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:38 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
You know that would never fly...way out of scale with Academy Street. But 3, maybe 4 floors certainly could.

It is a large enough lot a variation of stacked spaces would work on that lot.
2 story to 3 story to 6 story back from the streetscape.
Good design embraces more diversity and flexibility than mindless conformity. Good architects recognize that design didn't ever stop like a broken clock.

Yeah. I definitely recognize that it would never fly.
I also hope the CTC/Denali/Turnbridge folks get the leeway to go to 12 floors height. The scale of the lot would easily absorb much higher.
I have a perverse hankering to see something there with a top floor elevation above the PNC tower in DT Raleigh.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It is a large enough lot a variation of stacked spaces would work on that lot.
2 story to 3 story to 6 story back from the streetscape.
Good design embraces more diversity and flexibility than mindless conformity. Good architects recognize that design didn't ever stop like a broken clock.

Yeah. I definitely recognize that it would never fly.
I also hope the CTC/Denali/Turnbridge folks get the leeway to go to 12 floors height. The scale of the lot would easily absorb much higher.
I have a perverse hankering to see something there with a top floor elevation above the PNC tower in DT Raleigh.
ToC owns a couple of properties directly behind the library parcel, but with other SFHs on either side of that and along the north side of the library parcel along Park, tough to see how significant height could ever happen there.

Agree a 12-story centerpiece at CTC would be interesting. So much potential for that property as long as Ivy neighbors are respected (which it looks like they are with residential stepping down in that part of the development plan). Still have concerns about the ability to fill Fenton and CTC simultaneously...could be synergistic or could be a glut of space that results in lower-quality tenants or delayed buildouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary