Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 02:31 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
We don't yet know the concept for this, but I'm concerned that we continue to see higher-end stuff going in downtown without a whole lot of family-friendly places that are kinder to the wallet. Serendipity is fine, and we like Crosstown and Taipei 101, but I'd like to see more casual, cafe type places.
Are the fine dining places attracting enough customers in Cary?

Friends ate at the farm-to-table restaurant here when it first opened. They were not impressed. Said the fish was not fresh nor were the salad greens.

Hope this restaurant does a better job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 03:43 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,593,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Are the fine dining places attracting enough customers in Cary?

Friends ate at the farm-to-table restaurant here when it first opened. They were not impressed. Said the fish was not fresh nor were the salad greens.

Hope this restaurant does a better job.
If they are, they will stay in business. If not, they'll go out of business. You'll see.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:16 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,826,711 times
We absolutely loved An! Looking forward to Chuong's newest creation.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:26 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,545,044 times
Any updates on this restaurant?

Old 07-16-2018, 01:47 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,992,219 times
Ask and you shall receive...

Quote:
“The architect is finalizing the drawings so they can get approved, then bid the project and begin work once the project has been awarded,” said Ted Boyd, Cary’s downtown development director. Chuong “is working with the same architect for his layout of the restaurant space,” he added.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...214496044.html

Mayor Weinbrecht said in his State of Cary address that it should open before the end of the year. Not sure if that's still the timetable.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:53 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,063,301 times
Is it going to be another Asian restaurant? I don't go to downtown Cary often but I would go for this.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:05 PM

678 posts, read 738,674 times
So I just visited downtown Cary, and I was surprised at how relatively small it was. Fuquay-Varina has more of a downtown than Cary does. For a city of its size and wealth, downtown Cary should at least be something like Franklin Street (minus all the college kids) in Chapel Hill. There's like 4 or 5 mechanic shops within the vicinity of downtown Cary. I think downtown Cary has the most auto repair shops per capita compared to the other downtown areas within the state of NC. I don't know if it's all the NIMBY's or what, I don't know what's holding back downtown Cary from developing further. I do like Bond Brothers and Crosstown Pub, and I think some of the other restaurants will be a draw, but it's going take something more to bring more people in that area

Old 08-04-2018, 07:37 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,276,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
So I just visited downtown Cary, and I was surprised at how relatively small it was. Fuquay-Varina has more of a downtown than Cary does. For a city of its size and wealth, downtown Cary should at least be something like Franklin Street (minus all the college kids) in Chapel Hill. There's like 4 or 5 mechanic shops within the vicinity of downtown Cary. I think downtown Cary has the most auto repair shops per capita compared to the other downtown areas within the state of NC. I don't know if it's all the NIMBY's or what, I don't know what's holding back downtown Cary from developing further. I do like Bond Brothers and Crosstown Pub, and I think some of the other restaurants will be a draw, but it's going take something more to bring more people in that area
It's a work in progress, and that takes time. It's come a long way even just in the past few years.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:10 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Cary’s a town. Not a city.

For a long time, it was nothing but a suburb where IBMers could live in nice subdivisions, shop at strip malls, eat at chain restaurants, and send their kids to good, safe schools. And that was enough.

Downtown Cary is becoming what residents want now. It’ll get there.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:05 AM

812 posts, read 832,548 times
Quote:
I’ve always been fascinated by how much more developed the downtown of my “hometown’ Springfield, IL is. Population 115K vs 166K (Cary) and ave family income about half that of Cary (around national ave of 50K vs 100K). https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...t1E4Zk#imgrc=_
Of course, Springfield is the state capital; also, it is far enough removed from any metro to warrant developing all of its own “stuff” and thus be a stand-a-lone-town (much like FV). Being on Route 66 doesn’t hurt either 😊

No need for Cary to have had developed its own downtown in such a way as it is a hop-skip-jump to DT Raleigh (Yes I know parts of extreme NE FV are pretty close to DT Raleigh but I’m talkin DT FV and/or FV as a whole). This proximity to Raleigh might actually create some friction for the current revitalization too -in the form of competition. For example, why go to DT Cary Farmers market when a couple more miles down the road (I40) I can be at the State Farmers Market in Raleigh…. which has 100x the selection and variety.

While DT FV might have Cary “beat” in restaurants and shops…. for now, I think DT Cary has other “strengths”. Particularly when it comes to public amenities, programming, festivals etc. (Arts Center, new regional library, expanding Fountain Park, Cary Theatre & Cinema, Lazy Daze, Spring Daze, Pimento Cheese Festival, Wheels on Academy, Touch A Truck…. did I mention the Pimento Cheese Festival!).

If you need car fix
Downtown Cary place to be
That we all agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary