Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 06:59 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
They added to the end of the year. The last day is now a Monday.
Great for the teachers, no one shows up and they can get some end of year tasks done. My 8th grader is not going back after her graduation ceremony, I am sure of that LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 07:00 AM

598 posts, read 333,355 times
Our power came back on last night after about 7 hours. The temperature in the house had already dropped down into the 50s. I was very happy it came back before going to sleep. Even though our whole neighborhood was in blackout, it was eerily bright outside.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:00 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,678,508 times
It's a mile and a half walk to Walmart market on greenways. We don't panic shop. I just buy the heavy stuff like beer and water before a storm and plan for 3 days of meals even if we don't need to stock up. If we run low on anything it's an excuse to get some exercise in the cold.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:14 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Yeah I do all my shopping on Sunday and am set for the week. Staples like toilet paper are bought in bulk at Costco, so I've never had to "stock up" before a storm. Maybe if you have kids that eat everything in the house and you have to shop every 3 days?
I'll probably wind up getting a big-box membership once we buy a house. It's not really worth it since it's just the two of us and our storage space is limited in an apartment.

Years ago when we lost power after a storm, the only place closeby that had power and could accept credit cards was Panera. I used to like it but I got so sick of eating there every single day for weeks. Once power came back, I didn't go back there for a year.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:16 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Great for the teachers, no one shows up and they can get some end of year tasks done. My 8th grader is not going back after her graduation ceremony, I am sure of that LOL.
Parents and teachers would have been upset if they took it from spring break. This was the path of least resistance in a no win situation.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:26 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,623,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I'll probably wind up getting a big-box membership once we buy a house. It's not really worth it since it's just the two of us and our storage space is limited in an apartment.
It's just one of me, but I love Costco. I don't buy much food there, but one exception is frozen fruit (easy to store, and it doesn't spoil). On what I save on eyeglasses and dog food alone, I make back my membership fee. Actually this year my membership fee is easily covered by my Costco Visa cash back.

Hmm... wonder if Costco will be open today? Definitely wouldn't be crowded!

Old 01-18-2018, 07:39 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,432,987 times
Officially, 5.9" reported at RDU, but lots of much higher totals in the western Triangle, including a foot in parts of Durham, Orange, and Chatham Counties. A major snowstorm indeed.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:39 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
This morning in Durham:
Attached Thumbnails
What, no thread on WinterStorm 2018?-smaller-jan-18-18.jpg  

Old 01-18-2018, 07:46 AM

683 posts, read 1,885,289 times
I've been "stuck" in Durham (planned stuck-ness due to big meetings yesterday and today at the office) and need to drive back home to Cary today. Would it be best to leave Durham around 3 pm, which allows it to warm up a bit and for the roads to be cleared a little more, but early enough that I won't be driving home in the dark?

I'm a big baby when it comes to driving in inclement weather. Like really, really, big baby. Any advice is very much appreciated!!

Old 01-18-2018, 07:53 AM

492 posts, read 1,152,515 times
I love the beautiful pics posted here. I am not able to walk far in my neighborhood and even if do I am not much of a photographer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary