Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 08:00 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,605,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemi808 View Post
I've been "stuck" in Durham (planned stuck-ness due to big meetings yesterday and today at the office) and need to drive back home to Cary today. Would it be best to leave Durham around 3 pm, which allows it to warm up a bit and for the roads to be cleared a little more, but early enough that I won't be driving home in the dark?

I'm a big baby when it comes to driving in inclement weather. Like really, really, big baby. Any advice is very much appreciated!!
That's exactly what I would do. It'll get a bit above freezing by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 08:25 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,084 times
Quote:
I've been "stuck" in Durham (planned stuck-ness due to big meetings yesterday and today at the office) and need to drive back home to Cary today. Would it be best to leave Durham around 3 pm, which allows it to warm up a bit and for the roads to be cleared a little more, but early enough that I won't be driving home in the dark?

I'm a big baby when it comes to driving in inclement weather. Like really, really, big baby. Any advice is very much appreciated!!
That's exactly how I'd do it if I had to go out but I'd be sure to check the traffic maps first, top up my gas, and bring snacks and a drink. They were showing a big backup on 85 earlier on the news. The road was blocked by a tractor trailer accident and there was really nowhere for people behind the accident to go to turn off. If you were low on gas and had an hour or so wait ahead of you, I'd be worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoskiesNC View Post
I love the beautiful pics posted here. I am not able to walk far in my neighborhood and even if do I am not much of a photographer.
Me too. I think we should post more pics on this forum.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:43 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,544,166 times
Quote:

I'm going to be the contrarian and say you should leave as early as possible. I would expect that most of the main roads and secondary roads are clear-ish. Driving on snow and ice is not a huge challenge UNTIL there are other vehicles on the road and you actually have to stop at point X to avoid hitting something/someone as opposed to being able to slide an extra 10 or 20 feet because there is no one else out on the road. Many people are hunkering down this morning but will get cabin fever later today putting more vehicles out on the road then. I would expect the biggest problems would be people needing to stop at neighborhood entrances, re-route around piles of plowed snow at turn-offs and the occasional icy spot in a shaded area.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:50 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I'm going to be the contrarian and say you should leave as early as possible. I would expect that most of the main roads and secondary roads are clear-ish. Driving on snow and ice is not a huge challenge UNTIL there are other vehicles on the road and you actually have to stop at point X to avoid hitting something/someone as opposed to being able to slide an extra 10 or 20 feet because there is no one else out on the road. Many people are hunkering down this morning but will get cabin fever later today putting more vehicles out on the road then. I would expect the biggest problems would be people needing to stop at neighborhood entrances, re-route around piles of plowed snow at turn-offs and the occasional icy spot in a shaded area.
I agree. If one is comfortable driving on poor roads, the other traffic turns into the greatest hazard.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:11 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,592,274 times
Just drove from downtown Raleigh out to Crossroads - Glenwood, Wade and 440 were mostly clear but getting out of the neighborhood was a little rough and even major secondary roads weren't completely clear like Jones Franklin or Whitaker Mill. I plan on going home before the sun sets and everything freezes again.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:04 AM

390 posts, read 366,748 times
First substantive snowstorm since moving here that we are actually in town during. Folks in Durham - how long does it normally take them to get around to clearing all secondary/residential streets? No signs of them being anywhere near my neighborhood yet, but I'm far north and suspect we will be among the last.

Trying to figure out if I'll be able to get in tomorrow or will need to cancel my patients as I suspect Duke will reopen. I'm quite comfortable driving in nearly anything. However, we have a couple hills on the way out of the neighborhood that I'm not confident my corolla will manage. At least not in a reasonable amount of time and without needing to recruit help getting unstuck a half dozen times. Thinning a bit under the sun, but don't think its going to do enough for me to get out tomorrow unless a plow comes through.

Realize no one can know for sure, just wondering if a "full clear" of the city after a snow of this type is typically 1 day, 2 days, longer, etc.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:27 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,605,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JO783 View Post
First substantive snowstorm since moving here that we are actually in town during. Folks in Durham - how long does it normally take them to get around to clearing all secondary/residential streets? No signs of them being anywhere near my neighborhood yet, but I'm far north and suspect we will be among the last.
Last year they never cleared mine. This year, for that last storm, they came by the next day - we think because so many accidents last year that they found us. I know the main roads are pretty pristine right now, so I bet they're making some progress today, but I wouldn't expect anything for a couple of days.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:36 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,623,048 times
I drove from SW Cary to RTP around 12:30pm and the main roads were quite passable. Bit slushy here and there but good. My neighborhood road was clear as well, but I could see that many smaller side roads were unplowed. Roads will be bad again tonight, of course.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:51 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,594 times
Neighborhood roads in my area are reasonable as the temps are above freezing. Once we hit freezing again, they will be treacherous. Tomorrow morning looks to be the same until we get above freezing again.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:51 AM

390 posts, read 366,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Last year they never cleared mine. This year, for that last storm, they came by the next day - we think because so many accidents last year that they found us. I know the main roads are pretty pristine right now, so I bet they're making some progress today, but I wouldn't expect anything for a couple of days.
Thanks! Per twitter they aren't even planning to start residential plowing until tomorrow PM so I don't think that bodes well. I may try and get out this evening just to see if I can, otherwise I may just hunker down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary