Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2019, 11:42 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times

Advertisements

You’ll really love them around the holidays too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 05:19 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feztooned View Post
We went this afternoon. No traffic, drove straight in without delay. Plenty of parking in the underground garage. Walked in, grabbed a cart, and went to town! There was congestion within the store, but everyone there was rubber-necking. You'll have that.

15 minutes in, my wife saw someone walking around with a glass of beer. She turned to me and said, "we need to do that"! Made our way back to the Burger Bar, ordered a beer for each, and grabbed a burger, because it was the right thing to do.

It's a solid, good burger! Properly sloppy is the best kind!

We walked around with our beverages, and about every 5th person stopped us to find out where they needed to go to do the same. Everyone in the store, workers and customers alike, were friendly, helpful, and happy. It was truly an awesome experience! We were there for a couple of hours. Overall, prices were lower than HT and Publix, and better quality. We've been to Wegmans in VA numerous times, but never did an apples to apples comparison until today. If they can't find a space to build in Durham, then we'll need to move closer to Chapel Hill once that store opens!

As far as the, "it's just a grocery store" contingent, it's not. That's not why Wegmans has the reputation it has: it's what the Chocolate Factory was to Charlie. If you're looking for candy, they have it, and you'll find it, but you won't see nor understand everything else that is happening under your nose. It's about the experience, not a mere stop to satisfy a craving or simple need.
See, HT? Lowe’s Foods gets it, Wegmans gets it. There’s really no reason to chain people to the bar. You’ll sell way more beer.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:46 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Default Which apps do you use to find these grocery prices?

I'd love to know what apps are available for comparing grocery prices.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Using prices verbatim from apps including all VIC/MVP "discounts"

Prego 14oz traditional pasta sauce - HT $2.69, Wegman's $1.99, FL $2.00

Aunt Jemima 32oz pancake batter - HT $2.99, Wegman's $2.69, FL $2.99

Honey Nut Cheerios 19oz - HT $5.49, Wegman's $4.29, $4.98

1 bunch fresh cilantro - HT $1.69, Wegman's $0.99, FL $0.99

8oz baby bella mushrooms - HT $2.49, Wegman's $1.99, FL $2.50

1lb Arnold 100% Whole Wheat Bread - HT $4.49, Wegman's $2.99, FL $3.49

Yellow onions - HT 3lbs $1.29, Wegman's 2lbs $1.19, FL 3lbs $1.39

Store brand 18oz corn flakes cereal - HT $1.49, Wegman's $1.49, FL $1.89 (12oz)

Store brand 20oz ketchup - HT $1.49, Wegman's $0.79, FL $1.49

Old 09-30-2019, 07:57 AM

748 posts, read 1,375,366 times
This store is 30 minutes from my house so I am losing money already because of gas and my time is important. I can go to the HT near my house, get hot and cold food, great sushi, groceries that may be a few cents more than what I would pay driving 30 minutes away and Im home in half the time. I dont need all the hype. I want to go and buy my groceries. I dont want to eat at a restaurant in a grocery store. I prefer a restaurant with a little ambiance, not grocery carts going by. I get the hype. But I have better things to do with my time. And most of the time, I will order my groceries online and pick them up. I dont step foot in the store which saves me a lot of money. Its like a cult. They draw you in and you buy more than you went it needing. Good luck with that!

P.S. I will go check it out in a couple of months just for curiosity but I probably wont buy anything.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:03 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
I used to work next to a Wegmans and it was awesome for lunch because there was something for everyone. No more "where do you want to go for lunch? I don't care, where do you want to go? I'll eat anything, where do you want to go? Whatever is fine with me, what works for you?"

Other than that, it's a grocery store. It's too bad the Davis location won't be a little closer to RTP.

Last edited by m378; 09-30-2019 at 08:20 AM..

Old 09-30-2019, 08:11 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
This store is 30 minutes from my house so I am losing money already because of gas and my time is important. I can go to the HT near my house, get hot and cold food, great sushi, groceries that may be a few cents more than what I would pay driving 30 minutes away and Im home in half the time. I dont need all the hype. I want to go and buy my groceries. I dont want to eat at a restaurant in a grocery store. I prefer a restaurant with a little ambiance, not grocery carts going by. I get the hype. But I have better things to do with my time. And most of the time, I will order my groceries online and pick them up. I dont step foot in the store which saves me a lot of money. Its like a cult. They draw you in and you buy more than you went it needing. Good luck with that!

P.S. I will go check it out in a couple of months just for curiosity but I probably wont buy anything.
I was gonna say the same thing. Except my time isn't really that important (I normally have a lot of free time ). But in a world where we are moving towards ordering groceries online and having them delivered or at least staged pickup, and where people spend more of their lives working, is an "experience oriented" grocery shopping trip really something to hang your hat on? I mean I get it if you are retired and don't really have much to do, so you make a chore into something more interesting, but otherwise it seems like a solution in search of a problem.

On the flip side, with fast casual dining in the neighborhood of $40 and up for a family of four these days, I can see the case to be made for combining a cheaper dinner out with weekly food shopping.

I enjoy certain Publix and Harris Teeter sales but 95% shop at Walmart or Target for food items because the prices are significantly cheaper, and I can be in and out quickly.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:28 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I used to work next to a Wegmans and it was awesome for lunch because there was something for everyone. No more "where do you want to go for lunch? I don't care, where do you want to go? I'll eat anything, where do you want to go? Whatever is fine with me, what works for you?"

Other than that, it's a grocery store. It's too bad the Davis location won't be a little closer to RTP.
True, although I’m guessing there is hardly any land for this thing more west of its planned location. All the area with nice trees I see in west Cary is for townhomes and apartments, altho that’s mainly near the Whole Foods on 55. Perhaps they wanted some distance for a change.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:30 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
You’ll really love them around the holidays too!
Y’all. If we can get into your northern traditions, you can get into ours.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:44 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Congrats Raleigh for setting a new opening attendance record of 3,000 customers! Now Wegmans, come to Winston-Salem where that record will be shattered.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:35 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post

No one is forcing you to partake in anything. So why come into this thread and state what you don't need or want? Does anyone besides your spouse really care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary